What's new

Summer undershirt dilemna

So, I'm faced with a choice I presume a number of us face: on the one hand, if I don't wear an undershirt in the summer, I risk sweating through my clothes and consequently not looking too great. On the other hand, wearing an undershirt adds another layer and makes me even hotter, so I feel worse and sweat more.

What's your answer to this conundrum? Thanks.

I wear an undershirt year round. Here in the Midwest, an undershirt in the summer just means that perspiration has one extra stop to make before it gets to your outer shirt.

How about an A-shirt (aka wife-beater)?

I never quite understood that, honestly, because it seems like it leaves the sweatiest parts -- the underarms -- exposed directly to the shirt. I know a lot of guys wear them. Am I missing something?

I never quite understood that, honestly, because it seems like it leaves the sweatiest parts -- the underarms -- exposed directly to the shirt. I know a lot of guys wear them. Am I missing something?

For me, it covers the inside half of the underarm leaving half exposed directly to the shirt. I live in AZ (currently 106F at 11:30am) so I tend to avoid any undershirt at all cost... But when I need one, I go with the beater.

If I can ride the NYC subway everyday with a Super 150s wool suit, knit shirt, tie and undershirt then I think no matter who you are or what you do you should be wearing one.

Actually, I think that if you sweat so much in the summer that you think an undershirt is adding to it, it's probably just the opposite.

I love and recommend a basic 2xist crew neck undershirt. They are very light and soft but yet are still high enough quality to last through enough seasons to warrant their price. They aren't a Hanes beefy T or the Kirkland branded Hanes crews that can double as a sweat shirt, but they fit better and perform better for just your purpose. I highly recommend them.

The original undershirt had lots more coverage than the wife beater.

If I can ride the NYC subway everyday with a Super 150s wool suit, knit shirt, tie and undershirt then I think no matter who you are or what you do you should be wearing one.

Actually, I think that if you sweat so much in the summer that you think an undershirt is adding to it, it's probably just the opposite.

I love and recommend a basic 2xist crew neck undershirt. They are very light and soft but yet are still high enough quality to last through enough seasons to warrant their price. They aren't a Hanes beefy T or the Kirkland branded Hanes crews that can double as a sweat shirt, but they fit better and perform better for just your purpose. I highly recommend them.

I ride the subway every day, too, so I know where you are coming from. I'll check out the 2xist - thanks.

You need one of the new "Microfiber" undershirts. Someone mentioned UnderArmor, but they are now made by many other companies, including Jockey.

I cannot tell you the difference microfiber makes in clothing worn next to the skin. The fibers literally "wick" perspiration away from the body, so the fabric that stays in contact with your skin remains dry. It absolutely DOES NOT get "soggy" like cotton t-shirts do. Microfiber t-shirts hang dry very easily, and are generally simple to launder, they last longer, and retain their shape much better than cotton t-shirts.

Buy one, try it out, and report back with your findings.

You need one of the new "Microfiber" undershirts. Someone mentioned UnderArmor, but they are now made by many other companies, including Jockey.

I cannot tell you the difference microfiber makes in clothing worn next to the skin. The fibers literally "wick" perspiration away from the body, so the fabric that stays in contact with your skin remains dry. It absolutely DOES NOT get "soggy" like cotton t-shirts do. Microfiber t-shirts hang dry very easily, and are generally simple to launder, they last longer, and retain their shape much better than cotton t-shirts.

Who makes the microfibre ones? What stores?

Great, all I need - undershirt AD!!! :w00t:

On micro-fibres...great first layer if you are wearing all breathable clothing. Great only layer too, as in workout wear. If however, you are wearing a micro-fibre undershirt under a cotton shirt all you are doing is transferring the moisture to the next layer to absorb. Its very useful for keeping you feeling dry and does make you feel cooler, but its not doing the job of a work day undershirt which is to absorb sweat and body odor and keep it from your higher quality, more expensive outer wear. I think that makes the micro-fibre undershirt a task specific garment.

I always wear one in the summer. Living in Georgia, I'm going to sweat whether I wear one or not so I'd prefer to at least not sweat through my dress shirts at work.

Who makes the microfibre ones? What stores?

Under Armor - Jockey are two of the big names. Most large department stores now carry at least a few microfiber t-shirts. I believe I've even seen them at Target.

One problem is that these shirts were originally developed for athletes, and as such they often have logos or stripes that may show through white shirts. Jockey, U/A, and a few other companies are now making "no visible logo" shirts without them.

You may find "off brand" microfiber shirts - you just need to look at the label. Look for things with 90-95% polyester, and 5% lycra or similar.

Undershirt. It is miserable here in Houston with that, but if I don't, people drop like flies around me. I would have to wear so much cologne and deoderant, people would think I am a gigolo.

I have to wear one here in sweaty Osaka but they have these cool kind of 'micromesh' ones that air just kind of blows through (though they aren't actually see-thru in any way). I actually feel cooler when I wear one than when I don't. :smile:

+1 My wife got me some from LL Bean -- I wear them when I am working in the heat (with dress clothes) in India and China.

I never wear an undershirt, but it's only because I'm so damn sexxy.

Seriously tho? Underarmor. Forget cotton and your grandpa's undershirt.

But as I generally wear a silk shirt to work on hot days, my opinion doesn't count.

Good question. I have no idea. I used to not wear undershirts for the most part because the seemed hot and constrictive. As a result I tended to favor thicker oxford cloth shirts in blue rather than white. I do not think I have that much of a sweating through my shirt problem, as I am a pretty hairy, pretty dark haired guy, so I have a seeing through shirts issue. But somewhere along the line I started favoring more white, end on end or broad cloth shirts, and they pretty much require undershirts of some type. I tend to favor beaters, because they seem less constrictive, but my wife and my kids doe not like the look so much and I am not sure I like the lines that show through. It does seem a little old school to me. I do like that part.

Most of my crew neck undershirts are 2xist. I suppose they are lighter than some undershirts. I do not see anyway that an undershirt and shirt can be cooler that a shirt alone, even if one is using Underarmour, which is a great, albeit expensive product. If I thought it looked okay, I would do without an undershirt. But I admit that having consistently worn them now for quite awhile, I feel underdressed if I do not have one on.

How's that for a long-winded unhelpful response!

Top Bottom