What's new

Would like to extend my gratitude to this site

Hello all!

Just like this thread title suggests I would like to extend my gratitude to everyone on this site for posting and sharing your shaving experiences.

My story starts off with me wet shaving when I was 15 (currently 22 this year) but I was using cartridge blades and the canned goo my mom bought me. I used this method for about 3 years until I received a Braun 3105 electric razor as a gift. I used it with excellent results and continued to use it up until this year ( I did wet shave the odd time). At one point I went back to wet shaving and bought the Fusion and some disposables. Worst mistake of my life.

When I was younger and my facial hair was not a coarse so I could get away with improper shaving techniques. I probably made every mistake in the book (not relathering for each pass, rinse with cold water, no prep etc etc). Like I said I could get away with that before but now that my beard is thicker and harder to cut and it left me with razor burn and pin pricks in certain areas.

That's when I did some research into how to get a better shave and I stumbled on to Mantics videos on youtube and also this gem of a place. First shave with a DE razor was not bad but my second one was bad. After the shave I thought that it was the perfect shave (BBS!). About 10min later my neck turned red with blotches every where (waaay too much pressure). So I gave up and went back to my electric.

I switched back to wet shaving only because my electric razor has been discontinued and I can no longer buy the parts for it anymore. So I busted out the schick quattro titanium (not the flimsy looking one) and wet shaved. I got an excellent shave with it. I did that for a little while to let my skin get used to wet shaving again and switched back to the DE. Now I got a decent shave with it with some nicks on my chin but it soon disappeared.

Right now I'm using my schick quattro titanium until it's dead since I'm getting great results with it but afterward it's back to DE shaving.

I would like to just reiterate one thing for anyone lurking like I did... do NOT put excessive pressure on the razor. For me that is the most useful piece of info I could have ever asked for.

I'll list my gear here:
Porasso ultra sensitive shaving soap
Nivea sensitive after shave
Nivea sensitive moisturizer
Omega shaving brush (forget exactly what brush. Just one I bought a shoppers drug mart)
Gillette Super Speed (one of the late 1940's version I believe)
Gillette razors (only thing sold around town but I'm looking into feathers)

I do WTG, not quite XTG but more of a diagonal pass, then a ATG pass with no pressure.

My only problem I suppose now is that I have a hard time shaving my neck (one of the main reasons I still use the schick quattro titanium) with a DE because the hair on my neck grows E-W and it's difficult to adjust the razor. Any tips? Sorry for the long read guys but I figure if someone can relate out there and if it helps even just one person then mission complete!

Welcome to B&B! Sounds like you're off to a good start. As for E-W on your neck, I shave in that direction (3rd pass) daily with no problems -- just takes a light touch, good lather, and the most important thing of all -- patience! Try the E-W pass -- I predict great things!

First off, welcome to B&B! I want you to know that most men struggle with shaving the neck. For me, I do two passes only WTG. If I even try to j-hook, I get some ugly redness and bumps. In my opinion, if you get near BBS on the neck, it comes with a price...That price is usually a lot of discomfort, tightness, and redness (even painful razor bumps). Since I have to shave everyday, I never try for BBS anymore on the neck. I aim to look presentable (I get it to where you see no hair), even though it still feels rough, that's best for me. Hope that helps get you in the right direction!​
Regards, Nick​

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! I'm currently doing that with the schick quattro there but I find trying to get a good grip a little difficult with the DE.

I should also add that I exfoliate usually every night (maybe every other night) with Clean & Clear deep action exfoliating scrub before I go to bed.

I still have some red blotches on my upper lip/chin from my poor shaving techniques and from what I've red it takes awhile to disappear (up to a year?). However sometimes it's barely noticeable.

Thanks! I'm currently doing that with the schick quattro there but I find trying to get a good grip a little difficult with the DE.

I should also add that I exfoliate usually every night (maybe every other night) with Clean & Clear deep action exfoliating scrub before I go to bed.

I still have some red blotches on my upper lip/chin from my poor shaving techniques and from what I've red it takes awhile to disappear (up to a year?). However sometimes it's barely noticeable.
I don't think it would take up to a year to get rid of them. Just practice, and apply the things you learn from here at B&B and or the Mantic videos over at youtube. You'll be set then! :thumbup1:

Last edited by a moderator:
Might help to decrease the exfoliation a bit. Shaving is a pretty good exfoliant.

Patience is a virtue when it comes to learning how to shave your neck area. I used to dread it, but now I get a close shave very comfortably on most days.

Welcome Jiujitsuguy, I wish I had been interested in DE shaving at that age. I got into it a little later when my father's DE got my curiosity. In any case, you will find yourself making quite a few changes to almost every aspect of shaving until you find what is best for you.

BTW: how do you manage to get good shaves with Schick Quattro Titanium? I do have these razors (the newer flatter angled type) and all I can shave is my head. My face is another story...The blade cartridge tends to 'bite' or feel prickly at times like as if a needle is digging in. Do you ever feel that?

Might help to decrease the exfoliation a bit. Shaving is a pretty good exfoliant.

Patience is a virtue when it comes to learning how to shave your neck area. I used to dread it, but now I get a close shave very comfortably on most days.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks for the tip! I've been doing a downward stroke on an angle and that seems to be getting me a close shave without any irritation.

Welcome Jiujitsuguy, I wish I had been interested in DE shaving at that age. I got into it a little later when my father's DE got my curiosity. In any case, you will find yourself making quite a few changes to almost every aspect of shaving until you find what is best for you.

BTW: how do you manage to get good shaves with Schick Quattro Titanium? I do have these razors (the newer flatter angled type) and all I can shave is my head. My face is another story...The blade cartridge tends to 'bite' or feel prickly at times like as if a needle is digging in. Do you ever feel that?

I guess I should thank my sloppy techniques from the past for pointing me to the correct direction! I currently would like to get my hands on some feather blades to see what everyone is talking about. I don't really think I'll be adjusting much right now. I'm looking into finding out where I can buy some witch hazel and other types of ASB.

As for the Schick Quattro Titanium question. I couldn't tell you why I do. I follow all the proper pre shave steps (hot wash cloth on my face for a few minutes, mix some hot lather and apply it to my face with a brush.

I just use a little pressure (enough to just make contact with the skin but not pushing into the skin) and decent sized strokes. I normally do WTG, XTG, then a XTG SW-NE pass (relative to what side of your face you're shaving) then finally a very light ATG pass. I sometimes leave out the XTG pass because I feel the SW-NE pass gets those hairs as well and it's one less pass I have to make.

It's by far the best cartridge razor I've ever used. Mind you there is sometimes the odd nick or two but after splashing some cold water on to my face for a good 30sec it's gone. Then follow up with my ASB and a little bit of moisturizer. Reason being for switching to DE is the cost of cartridge razors. Way too expensive.

I have really dark facial hair so even when I do get a BBS there is still a beard outline but I'm happy regardless...no roughness :302:. This place is really addicting. It's in my top 3 websites to visit (1. Sherdog 2. badger and blade 3. college humour). I didn't expect that!

Last edited:
Welcome!

I discovered that if I take extra prep time with hot towels on the neck area, I'm able to get it smooth with little irritation.

Welcome! I agree with you that the Badger and Blade is a great cyber-community. When I joined I didn't know for some time (until there was a contest for contributors) that it's possible to make a monetary contribution to help defray the costs of maintaining the site. Here's a link to how to become a contributor.

Top Bottom