What's new

Crystal blades inconsistent?

I've been trying out the Crystal blades recently, and I've been getting good shaves with them with very little irritation, injuries, or other drama. I loaded up a new blade in my Merkur HD this morning, and the blade kept skipping and hanging up on my second pass, resulting in several weepers and uncut stubble.

Question: should I expect an occasional bad blade when using Crystals? Or, is sloppy newbie technique the more likely culprit?

I'm tempted to shave with the same blade again tomorrow (or the next day), to try and answer my own question. :001_rolle

I've found them to be totally consistent, but I also have off-days. There are so many factors at stake in a shave I think it's hard to pin-point exactly what the culprit is. Having said that, nothing in this world is 100% reliable, so there is always the possibility of a bad blade from an other-wise reliable manufacturer.

After working through the wcs sampler my favorite blade out of the bunch.
That being said first shaves on a new blade can be tuff at times,I started to hand strop and helped with that.

I've gotten some grat shaves from them, and some poor shaves as well. I seem to get the best shaves when I load them in a Schick Krona or Slim Adjustable.

Although I am only on my first one of these blades, I find my bad shave days due to an inconsistent lather.

I'm on my 3rd box of IPs, (100/box) same as crystal and I've never had a bad blade :confused:
1rst shave same as the 3rd shave and thats it for me :biggrin:

I just finished the first shave on my second Crystal. I used one for two shaves in a Merkur Long-handled Classic and found that I just could NOT get a BBS shave with it no matter how I went about slashing at them tiny little hars a growin' on mah cheeks.:tongue:
One thing I noted, on the first shave the blade dragged a bit and actually felt as though I was dragging an eraser over my face. Kind of an interesting sensual experience, but not an especially good shave.
This AM I loaded a Merkur Futur with a new Crystal and shaved away. No eraser feel to report. Did not get a good shave at 4.5 on the Futur. Opened the Futur to 5.5 and performed a second ATG pass (fifth total) and came up with a good shave. BTW, GOOD means BBS. You ask why I set the sights at GOOD = BBS? When you spend this much time prepping, lathering, etc I believe that BBS is the reward for a job properly done. :blushing:
So, I have a feeling that there is a bit of inconsistency if you push the blades to perform. Generally speaking from these limited experiences, I find it to be a mild blade.

I just finished the first shave on my second Crystal. I used one for two shaves in a Merkur Long-handled Classic and found that I just could NOT get a BBS shave with it no matter how I went about slashing at them tiny little hars a growin' on mah cheeks.:tongue:
One thing I noted, on the first shave the blade dragged a bit and actually felt as though I was dragging an eraser over my face. Kind of an interesting sensual experience, but not an especially good shave.
This AM I loaded a Merkur Futur with a new Crystal and shaved away. No eraser feel to report. Did not get a good shave at 4.5 on the Futur. Opened the Futur to 5.5 and performed a second ATG pass (fifth total) and came up with a good shave. BTW, GOOD means BBS. You ask why I set the sights at GOOD = BBS? When you spend this much time prepping, lathering, etc I believe that BBS is the reward for a job properly done. :blushing:
So, I have a feeling that there is a bit of inconsistency if you push the blades to perform. Generally speaking from these limited experiences, I find it to be a mild blade.

Good for you!! BBS, thats why we shave the way we do!
Your a braver man than I, I've never gone beyond 4 on my Futur and thats always on the 3rd pass, (ATG) with an IP/Crystal.

I get good results with a schick krona and long handle super adj. I've got a hundred of the red packs but just never reached for them yet. The Crystals do just fine if I do my part. Well, so far...!

Today was my third shave with my first Crystal blade. I just started going threw my WCS sampler pack and picked this blade at random. I get good shaves with just 2 passes and a quick touch up under the chin. I’m shaving in the shower before work, so don’t have the time to go for a BBS shave. I am very happy with this blade, and will continue to use it as I am just learning the art. By the way I am using a Merkur long handle razor. I think I will try to get a fourth shave out of this blade before I go for a new one.
:cool:

I get very good consistent shaves with a Crystal blade in my only DE razor at present, a Merkur 23C, which is a long handle model. They are better than the Walmart Personna blades and let's not even get into how unsatisfactory the Dorco blades are. That being said, I feel the need to search for a sampler that does not include the Dorco blades. I keep reading about how good the Shark blades are and definitely want to try them out.

I personally would check make sure:
the blades seated flatly and you have it tightened well.
Check my lather to make sure its not watery or too dry.
Make sure I'm consious of blade angle.

Sometimes I'm sure you could get a bad blade but the above is usually more the issue I've seem to hear/see... YMMV

This morning, I had probably my best shave ever. I used a '66 SuperSpeed for the first time. Received it in the mail yesterday and boiled/cleaned/polished it from brown and ugly to looking BRAND NEW. It came out beautiful and only cost me $10 shipped. Then, I opened a package of Crystal blades from Israel that I had never used before. New blade and razor... :)

BBS on my face with 2 passes and even on my tricky neck, with only 4 passes, it was definitely the smoothest I have ever gotten it with no irritation.

I think I'm in love. The Crystal was the best blade I had ever used. I have used a few American variations of Personnas and Israeli RP blades previously. This blade, or maybe this new razor and blade combo was my best shave to date.

I'll work my way through my 10 Crystals with my 5 razors and see if they are consistent...and I may have have found "my blade".

I also have some Wilkinsons to try out and some more Israeli RP to try in all of my razors, but this Crystal looks promising so far.

Last edited:
It's interesting that you bring up the SuperSpeed, as I recently inherited a '50s-era example from my grandfather. I've been comparing it to my Merkur HD with both Crystal and Derby blades, and I have found:
1. the SuperSpeed is smoother and more forgiving than the Merkur, which is enabling me to get closer shaves without nicks;
2. the Derbys are sharper and smoother in the SuperSpeed than the Crystals.

I'll also note that the Derbys seem to do a better job than the Crystals in the Merkur, but nicks have still been a problem from time to time.

So, grandpa's SuperSpeed + Derby blades may be the combo for me. However, I'm curious about how the Feathers do in the SuperSpeed. I think I'm going to try it right now. :w00t:

Havn't shaved with my Crystals in a while so I put one in today and, WOW I fogot how good a shave I get out the this blade. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom