What's new

Considering purchasing a slant...

I'm looking at the Merkur slant (in Chrome). Any counter suggestions? I keep reading about Hoffritz slants. Should I wait for one or try my luck in the BST? Any critical info before pulling the trigger?

Go for it. Everyone should try a Slant at least once. Hoffritz Slants are just vintage Merkur Slants rebranded by Hoffritz. They show up in the B/S/T on a regular basis.

Agreed. Although if you're relatively new at this, I'd give yourself some more time to get your technique down first. Just a thought!

my favorite razor....go for it
+1

I have 3 other Merkurs in my active rotation (34G, unmod Progress, Futur) and the Sledgehammer Slant gives me the best shaves of all. BBS in 2.5 passes every time. My only regret is that I can't use it every time, as it performs best with 3 or more days of stubble to work with.

Don't wait for it through the BST forum. Slants are few and far between, since Slant owners are reluctant to part with them. When one does make an appearance, it is usually snapped up within minutes.

I bought mine through BST, but I waited 3 months before I was able to catch one. I only saved $10 off the cost of buying it new.

Go ahead and order a new one. And don't forget to order some Feather blades, as well, if you don't already have some.

I don't know about slants since I never tried one. However, I love my open comb HD. Is this going to be your first de? If so, I agree with Jim when he says to give yourself some time to get technique down...There's always time for RAD, mine as well be learning to achieve those zen-like shaves first though. In my opinion, consider these first...fat handle tech, Gillette ss (super speed), or a Merkur HD. I named those razors because they are very forgiving and yield a great shave. Regards, Nick

Nope...not my first DE. Call it an extension of RAD...or a potentially painful case of curiosity. :biggrin:

Nope...not my first DE. Call it an extension of RAD...or a potentially painful case of curiosity. :biggrin:

If you have any DE skills at all, the Slant will be far from painful. The first time I used one, I could hardly tell I was shaving, until I felt the results.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
You should try the slant at least once during your wetshaving journey. I did and it wasn't for me, but I'm glad I did! It's a very good razor and not that dangerous. It looks mean and that would be it. It's aggressive yes but still safe!

I have been using one for the last couple of weeks, thanks to a member who loaned it to me. I am not an everyday shaver, so it works well for me. If you are able to get good, irritation free shaves from another DE, you should be fine. Be sure to use a good prep, take your time, and you should be fine. As mentioned above, they do not come up very often in the B/S/T and go very quickly, when they do show up. You might want to sign up over in the Razor Lending Consortium http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91775 and see if one is available for loan or temporary trade. That way you could try it before you buy it! They are not for everyone as noted above, but you will never know until you try one.

Last edited:
If you have any DE skills at all, the Slant will be far from painful. The first time I used one, I could hardly tell I was shaving, until I felt the results.

this is very true...however it did take me 4 shaves with it to finally 'get it'...the slant is awesome...definitely go ahead and buy one new...I ended up selling mine in the BST to a fellow member in the UK because I bought a dozen gillettes and have shaved my rotation down to two razors (pun lol)...but that is not because it was a bad razor...it's an amazing tool that any wetshaver should own or at least try...

Top Bottom