What's new

Espresso Cleaner

For those of you who have espresso machines, what do you use for cleaning and descaling? I have a Saeco Magic.

I have a sample bottle of Joe Glo, but I tend to prefer Cafiza as well. Ditto on everything Scotto said, pretty much.

I have a bottle of Urnex Grindz as well. (for the grinder)

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Mmm, I always used water + vinegar and I run plain water 3-4 afterwards.

Joe Glo has gotten good reviews, but a bottle of Cafiza lasts so long, that I'll likely never get around to trying it.

I tried the Grindz for a while, but Minute Rice works just as well, IMO.

How 'bout this one. The screen screw on my Gaggia is stuck. I figure I over-tightened a bit last time I cleaned the machine and now with the daily heating and cooling, and maybe a bit of scaling, it is stuck as stuck can be. Its a soft screw too so I can feel it starting to strip and I have left it alone.

I am looking for removal suggestions with drilling it out being the very last resort. I dont want to risk drilling into the group head.

Any ideas?

When that happens on commercial machines, I tend to stick the screwdriver in, and whack it with a hammer a couple of times.

That's usually enough to "break" the seal enough to get it out normally. If you can't get it out that way, don't drill!

You can bend the shower screen pretty easily with a flat head screwdriver. Just pry it from the edge so it bends out of shape. The screw should come out quite easily at this point.

This does, however, require that you purchase another shower screen, which you can get from Wholelattelove.com pretty easily. (if it comes to that)

If you think that coffee oil is holding it in place, you could always try pre-dissolving some backflush detergent, and filling a blind basket without pressure before locking it in. If you do this, DO NOT TURN ON THE PUMP. You probably don't want backflush detergent in your Gaggia's only boiler.

I swear by Puly Caff Plus. Tech I know who services a majority of the commercial restaurant machines here in town turned me on to it years ago, and I've never looked back. Perfect for backflush. But also can be used on exterior surfaces, once dissolved.

Puly is good stuff.

My favorite backflush detergent, however, is Cafetto.. hands down. They now make an organic version, but I have never used it so I can't speak to how well it works.

proxy.php

The Grindz bottle that I have (along with the Cafiza) were gimme's from some industry event or other. I think those were from the '09 regional barista competition.

How 'bout this one. The screen screw on my Gaggia is stuck. I figure I over-tightened a bit last time I cleaned the machine and now with the daily heating and cooling, and maybe a bit of scaling, it is stuck as stuck can be. Its a soft screw too so I can feel it starting to strip and I have left it alone.

I am looking for removal suggestions with drilling it out being the very last resort. I dont want to risk drilling into the group head.

Any ideas?

Even if you have to drill into the screw, I dont think you'd damage the group head. IF you do some damage, Parts Guru can hook you up with a new head for cheap.. I replaced the aluminim head in my Gaggia Espresso with a brass one...

Barry

Top Bottom