What's new

The Quest is OVER!!!

I started DE shaving 4 months ago, and today, the quest for my perfect blade came to an end. My blade of choice from this point forward is going to Feather.

I originally received a pack of feather blades with my first razor sampler, but put off using them out of fear. To further that fear, after I got my Father hooked on wetshaving he tried feather blade (for his 3rd DE shave ever) and sliced up his face real nice... I decided to wait until my technique had improved to the point where I didn't cut or nick myself with other blades.... and today was the day.

I used Tabac, Proraso Pre/Post and my trusty Merkur HD. The first pass was almost scary because I couldn't even feel the hairs being cut, it felt like I had no blade loaded... It was that point I realized how easy cutting oneself is with these blades.... But I prevailed and did a 4 pass (including ATG) and didn't cut myself once!

Feathers have been the first blade that I've tried that didn't snag or get hung up on my stubble. I guess I have a pretty thick beard because every other blade I've tried have been bogged down while doing any sort of difficult pass like ATG or around the chin. These feathers just kept gliding along. The only blades that have come close have been IPs.

Oh, and no razor burn whatsoever! Quite frankly I don't care if these blades don't last as long as others, the shave I just received was phenomenal. Beyond BBS!

Last edited:
:biggrin:Good choice. I alternate between Feathers and IPs. Why alternate? Why not! The both give smooth clean shaves, as long as you concentrate. :blush:

:biggrin:Good choice. I alternate between Feathers and IPs. Why alternate? Why not! The both give smooth clean shaves, as long as you concentrate. :blush:

After I finished a couple weeks of shaving with IPs, I went a bought a box of 100 that are currently in the mail. I think I'm going to make my IPs the cheap everyday blade and save the feathers for when I need a damn good shave...

It's been an hour after that shave and there is still no razor burn whatsoever... first time that's happened since... well... forever!

You must have missed all the posts--don't you know that Feathers are overrated? :biggrin:

Regardless of what some think of them, they are great blades. They may not work in every razor, but when you find the right razor and technique, welcome to Shave Nirvana.

You must have missed all the posts--don't you know that Feathers are overrated? :biggrin:

Regardless of what some think of them, they are great blades. They may not work in every razor, but when you find the right razor and technique, welcome to Shave Nirvana.

The only complaints I've heard levelled against them is that they don't last as long as other blades... which is fine by me... as long as they're cheaper than fusion cartridges and deliver a damn fine shave I'm golden.

That said, maybe if more people complain about them it will drive down the price? hmm...

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Just to throw some oil on the fire... You should really try some Kai... They are pretty close to Feather!

I love feather's also but I just recieved some Gillette 7oclock in the black package. I think they are very close in sharpness to the all mighty feather.

Blades are like running shoes. Whatever works best for you, is the best for you.

I personally find very little difference between the Astras, Feathers, and Red Personnas.

Top Bottom