What's new

Mach3 or Safety

Just purchased my first shaving brush and Trumpers shaving cream. I am using a Mach3 at the moment but would like to try a safety razor.Do these type of razors be hard on your skin.Had thought of a Merkur Futura,Progress.or Vision.
Can someone please advise !!

Hi Webro (a real name would be helpful)

You might want to use that new brush and cream with the Mach3 for a bit, if that is what you are used to. Changing too many variables at once can send you down a rathole if things go sour.

A DE is no more harsh on your face than a cartridge, though it will take more care and a bit of a learning curve. If you search around the board, you will find scads of info on the razors you mention. I started out with a Progress and don't regret it. It isn't too aggressive and is relatively inexpensive. If you don't want an adjustable razor, many are the wet shavers who have started with the Merkur HD (heavy duty) in its various formats.

Keep on asking the questions, and welcome to B&B!

Alan,

Welcome aboard! Not much to add, but a ditto to Scotto. There's no need to rush things. Work on getting the perfect lather first, which is a big part of the equation.

-Nick

Welcome alan

I personally started using a BIC metal before I made the switch to a DE and feel it is the way to go because it give you a basic idea about angle and it is very cheap.....you might not like a single blade and if so you have not wasted much money. The only new trick you will have to learn when you pick up your DE is not applying pressure...which you will have to do with a BIC.

Welcome Alan,
I agree w/Scotto and others, don't add too many variables at first. A DE will require a little bit of getting used to but it's not that bad. I'd advise getting used to the brush and cream for a few weeks first.

Good Luck

Webro said:
Just purchased my first shaving brush and Trumpers shaving cream. I am using a Mach3 at the moment but would like to try a safety razor.Do these type of razors be hard on your skin.Had thought of a Merkur Futura,Progress.or Vision.
The best advice you got is not to change too many things at once.

My question to you is why do you want to change from the M3. Itested a motorized M3 earlier this year and found it to offer the most comfortable shave available if you applied no pressure. My only peoblem was that the tilting head just wouldn't let me shave close. If that or the cost is your problem, you have a good reason to try a safety razor. Otherwise why fix something that isn't broken?

You're not likely to find another razor that will be more comfortable without learning a lot of technique. The M3 requires none, and lets you be careless. A DE will not take kindly to it.

One possibility is to use a BIC Metal along with the M3. Use it at the end to get the shave close. At the same time, you'll get a feel for the technique involved in shaving with a safety razor. You may or may not think it's worth it.

R

rainman

I say take the plunge and get a DE! Start with a Tech. You can find one cheap and won't be able to hurt yourself too badly. A decent tech will be less expensive than a pack of Mach3 blades.

I find the futur a great razor even for beginners like myself. Dialing it right down to 1 gives you the added protection against poor technique couple that with a forgiving blade and you should be fine

Top Bottom