What's new

Question for Active Military

Just wondering, how many active duty members DE shave when there doing extended training events? i.e. field exercises of a week or more, deployments, and training center rotations.

If so what is your setup and your experience?

If not what do you use? Do you go back to cartridge and gel, electric, or DE razor and gel?

I'm active duty and I am a newbie. Just wondering how all the other active duty members did it.

Thanks

I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan.

My setup is as follows:

razors-
Slim, Fatboy, Ranger Tech, Old Type, British New, Vintage Slant, New Improved, Sheraton, and *soon to arrive* Diplomat.

soaps-
MWF, Arko, Proraso Green, Palmolive

creams-
Proraso Green, Proraso Red, Tabac, Palmolive

brush-
Omega Professional Boar

It's not hard to wetshave while deployed (depending on your MOS), and I would imagine that it's about the same for field exercises as well. Another B&Ber is here with me, and he uses straights every day.

I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan.

My setup is as follows:

razors-
Slim, Fatboy, Ranger Tech, Old Type, British New, Vintage Slant, New Improved, Sheraton, and *soon to arrive* Diplomat.

soaps-
MWF, Arko, Proraso Green, Palmolive

creams-
Proraso Green, Proraso Red, Tabac, Palmolive

brush-
Omega Professional Boar

Blimey! I was lucky to have room for a couple of disposables and can of goo! No wonder you yanks have such big kit bags:wink2:

Kit bags??:rolleyes: I deployed to Afghanistan with two duffels, a rolling foot locker and a ruck sack:biggrin: And whatever I forgot or realized I needed I had wife send me. As for shaving I did electric for the most part so I could shave outside my B-hut and get going quick .

Just wondering, how many active duty members DE shave when there doing extended training events? i.e. field exercises of a week or more, deployments, and training center rotations.

If so what is your setup and your experience?

If not what do you use? Do you go back to cartridge and gel, electric, or DE razor and gel?

I'm active duty and I am a newbie. Just wondering how all the other active duty members did it.

Thanks

Eric, The field is the best place to wet shave when compared to the alternatives. I shaved daily for multiple month long NTC rotations or other long filed problems using a Williams puck, a boar bristle brush, and cartridges. The only problem is a heat source for hot water. I purchased my first camping stove for that very reason. It's amazing what a difference one pint of boiling water makes.

Now that I've moved to DE, I have only spent a year in Iraq in very comfy digs which honestly, shaving wise, was not different than being at home, but the lack of irritation on my neck was very noticeable especially in the heat of the summer.

I discovered proper shaving (DE, Brush, Soap or Cream) while serving in Iraq (6 months +). At the time I had two brushes, two soaps, one cream and by the time I left a dozen razors and different blade types. It can be done.

I have since gone on temporary duty (lasting 8 days) in an open bay dorm scenario. That trip I took a Simpson's Major Travel Shaving Brush, one soap, one cream, one AS and my Gillette Diplomat Razor w/10 Gillette 7 O'clock Sharp Edge (yellow) blades. I only took 10 blades because I didn't know how long I'd be gone. It went fantastic. I'll never "go back" to cartridges or disposables for any reason. In fact when I'm deployed I know that a proper shave will be one of the things I can look forward to each day.

Last edited:
Like Slaglerock I also discovered wet-shaving while deployed. Still deployed as a matter of fact and its the only time in my day when I am able focus solely on myself. I have a simple set up, but it works for my situation. Merkur 38c, Proroso Green, a few pucks of various Col Conks and ye ole trusty feathers. I'll never look back

Thanks guys,

I honestly didn't look at it from the angle of " me time". I have 4 shaves under my belt with a Weishi, Derby blades, and C.O. Bigelow cream and L'Occitane AS Baum. I can honestly say now that I enjoy shaving and look forward to it. That would be a very big moral booster deployed.

I'm too old and too senior ever to get too far forward. If the living is civilised, normal routine rules. If the living is rough, it's a foil battery shaver by Braun.

I'm not showing the flag "Active Duty". No, because in British parlance that means actually deployed on operations. So, I am in "Regular Service" but not on "Active Service". I retire at the end of August! From that date I would be proud to take the tag "Veteran".

And for those who delight in our quaint British ways my name will be moved to that part of the Army List called "Officers in Receipt of Retired Pay."

Last edited:
Eric, The field is the best place to wet shave when compared to the alternatives. I shaved daily for multiple month long NTC rotations or other long filed problems using a Williams puck, a boar bristle brush, and cartridges. The only problem is a heat source for hot water. I purchased my first camping stove for that very reason. It's amazing what a difference one pint of boiling water makes.

Now that I've moved to DE, I have only spent a year in Iraq in very comfy digs which honestly, shaving wise, was not different than being at home, but the lack of irritation on my neck was very noticeable especially in the heat of the summer.
My experience was pretty much the same. Some of my fellow wet shavers were in engaged in a competition to see who could get the most shaving gear sent to them. Some had multiple razors and soaps, sure makes the deployed time a little bit more tolerable.

My experience was pretty much the same. Some of my fellow wet shavers were in engaged in a competition to see who could get the most shaving gear sent to them. Some had multiple razors and soaps, sure makes the deployed time a little bit more tolerable.

Yes, we indulge in all sorts of distracting behaviour to add variety to a pretty miserable existence, but all this extra kit presupposes life on a base. Infantry out on the ground or troops squeezed into armoured vehicles cannot carry any luxuries. The iPod would be packed before the posh shave kit! And, oh, how precious are the batteries!!

Ok, another question. I am stationed in the UK and will be going TDY to another European location soon then to the states a few months later. Will I be able to transport my blades in my duffel or will I have to get my wife to send me some later on? Same with deployments, I'll be heading to a sandy "vacation" spot next year, will I be able to travel with my blades?

Check your duffle (with blades packed inside) and I think you'll be OK. Thanks for your service, and be safe out there.

I can only speak of the US military. But yes you will have no issues. Flying to "sandy" vacation spots are chartered. I have never had an issue with military duffeles

Kind of makes me wish for another deployment...I always used cartridges back in the day with canned goop to make a quick getaway, but now know better!

In three tours to Iraq I haven't used a DE (mainly because I didn't start using the DE until I got back in 2011). I've taken my DE to the field and will be taking with me to Afghanistan soon. I am one of the lucky ones in that I do not experience any irritation from shaving using cold water, which is what you come to expect in the field when you are in a rush.

I have a standard DE from classic shaving. Nothing fancy. Feather is my go to blade for the field. I use my own brand of soap that I make at home and it suits me just fine for the field and I'm sure it will be great in the 'Stan. I use a small amount of Nivea aftershave afterwards, but I'm tinkering with a witch hazel based aftershave to replace it.

Top Bottom