What's new

Ever Ready Razors?

They don't seem to get much air time are they well regarded?
Is there a link or site where I can get more info like Mr Razors site?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
If you search this forum, you should find plenty of information. If I can remember correctly, there was the Kampfe/Star Razor company, an employee left and started the Gem Razor company, he then left and started the Ever Ready Razor company, which was eventually bought by the American Safety Razor Company (ASR). Our resident expert is d.irving79, Dave has been working on a history of sorts for this to preserve it for the rest of us. You can contact him through the forum or PM with any specfic questions, he is always happy to help! By the way I have several including a lather catcher, which are fantastic shavers. The Single Edge (SE) razors shave differently than the Double Edge razors, and so take a little practice to get used to using. But they are well worth learning, and can give great shaves! I am sure others will chime in shortly and correct any mistakes. :biggrin:

Most of the Ever Ready's that you find will be 1912 Patent series and essentially clones of 1912 patent Gems. I just finished my first blade in a 1912 Gem and I can't say enough about the quality of the shave.

- Chris

No! They're terrible. Awful. Stay away and if you see any really minty looking ones, let me know so I can acquire them and take them off the street. :wink:

My favorite razor,it gives the smoothest,closest shave of all my razors.

proxy.php
[/IMG]

Very pretty!

That looks like a TTO model. Perhaps similar to a Gem Micromatic, but I'm just guessing now.

Take it very gently with respect to pressure and experiment with angle over the first few strokes until you hear the whiskers being trimmed. There's no missing the sound with these razors.

- Chris

For anyone who has ever considered giving a single-edge a try or are just curious, you should really give one a spin. They really give excellent, comfortable shaves. The good thing is they are very affordable on Ebay or in antique shops.

DL

Just get GOOD blades. No quicker way to end up swearing vengeance (think Jimmy Stewart in "Bend of the River) against the pro-SE crowd is to tear your earlobe off with a drug-store sheet-rock-scoring quality blade.

Very pretty!

That looks like a TTO model. Perhaps similar to a Gem Micromatic, but I'm just guessing now.

Take it very gently with respect to pressure and experiment with angle over the first few strokes until you hear the whiskers being trimmed. There's no missing the sound with these razors.

- Chris

Yes, they do look like a DE, but the head flips up just like the other ER's. I may be wrong, but I think I saw somewhere that Gem made a DE that looked like this, which added to my confusion. :confused: I missed several because of this, before I got my set. Glanced at it, thought DE and moved on. :rolleyes:

I have one exactly as pictured in buddydog's post above.

While I didn't get any cuts, my trial shave today was less than remarkable.

I was using Treet stainless blades that I got from a drugstore....

Do I need to stay on a learning curve (I suppose I could have been a little bit afraid of this mean-looking sucker), or can anyone recommend non sheet-rock-cutting blades I should use?

Thanks!

Look for Personna Gem stainless blades (I think Walmart's Walgreens is where you'll find them).

proxy.php

Last edited:
I have just bought this little fella on looks alone. Clearly a SE but that's all I know about it.

proxy.php

It's called either a Slimline or a Jewell. I believe, but I don't know for sure that when boxed like yours they were called Jewell. I don't know why Ever Ready used both names. Close shaver, a bit aggressive, the razor weighs about a ton of solid brass and the chrome finish is about a foot thick. It's one of the best razors out there IMO. Here's a picture of the Slimline set. Razor on the left, stropper on the right.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom