What's new

Ever Ready Razors?

Since that old thread that Darjeeling Express referenced was written last year, I've aquired and tried several more old ER's and Gems. I feel many of them are very good shavers but I can't say that I've found any others that outperform the 1900/1901 patent dated models.

These are the various editions of the lather catcher style "bar" razor. I have to admit that in the last six months or so, I've settled into a rut and have used nothing but my favorite Gem Jr. bar razor. I just don't seem to get tempted to try others since I started using this razor.

I truly believe that these early SE's are the best shaving safety razors to be designed before or since that time. There have been some other good SE's and some excellent DE designs also, but I still find myself reaching for that 100 year old Gem Jr. Bar razor every morning.

Regards,
Tom

Tom, good to hear from you. If you possibly can, post a pic of your favorite.

This isn't a very good picture but it's the one that was used by the seller when I bought the razor. Considering that it's my favorite razor, I really should take some better shots. :001_rolle

An interesting aside on this razor . . . When I got it there was a paper, as can be seen in the picture, in the lid of the box stating that the razor was presented as a prize at a skeet match at Mascoutah, Ill on Oct-12-1913 for breaking 45 out of 50 clay birds.

Regards,
Tom

I truly believe that these early SE's are the best shaving safety razors to be designed before or since that time.

I agree (excluding straights). I am amazed at how nice those 1900/1901 razors are. To top it off they look fantastic!

I'm pretty sure Gillette's advertising machine simply steamrolled the SE's into relative obscurity. But I wonder if the quality of blades might have had anything to do with it. Could it be that Gillette simply made a better blade? Given today's blade technology we are probably getting a better shave with those old SEs now than anyone got when they were new.

I bagged a lovely eveready from e bay the other week complete with case and original blades and i also found a uk supplier who actually sells eveready razor blades so i bought some of those as well along with some treats, still to use the razor though.

Have had this for a while, it is 100 percent MINT not a mark anywhere, no signs of use....

£5.00 on E-Bay UK....

View attachment 65286

I have a similar razor (w/o case), American made. It has two instead of three grooves at the end of the handle. Is that a distinguishing characteristic of American vs. British or has it more to do with date of manufacture? Or is it just "random"?

Have had this for a while, it is 100 percent MINT not a mark anywhere, no signs of use....

£5.00 on E-Bay UK....

View attachment 65286

That is a fantastic buy. What a great looking set!

Bob, relative to the grooves in the handle, all the 1912's, both Gem and Ever-Ready, that I have seem to be U.S. made and they all have the two grooves, so perhaps the three grooves does distinguish the British razors, but I really can't say that I've seen anything in print to back up these observations.

Regards,
Tom

Bob, relative to the grooves in the handle, all the 1912's, both Gem and Ever-Ready, that I have seem to be U.S. made and they all have the two grooves, so perhaps the three grooves does distinguish the British razors, but I really can't say that I've seen anything in print to back up these observations.

I don't really need any more 1912s but I will keep an eye out on eBay and if I spot a three-groove for a reasonable price I will bid on it just to see what I get! If it is British-made that will be a legitimate add to my collection.

Slimjim5751, Your razor appears to be a British Ever-Ready from the 1950's. Since you are located in the UK, this seems likely. I've not seen one with this handle that wasn't British made. Are there any markings on the razor indicating where it was made?

Regards,
Tom

Slimjim5751, Your razor appears to be a British Ever-Ready from the 1950's. Since you are located in the UK, this seems likely. I've not seen one with this handle that wasn't British made. Are there any markings on the razor indicating where it was made?

Regards,
Tom

Right under the "thumb grip" ie. the rounded part at the back of the razor head, you'll see the words "British Made". It barely shows in the picture, but it does show.

It's called either a Slimline or a Jewell. I believe, but I don't know for sure that when boxed like yours they were called Jewell. I don't know why Ever Ready used both names. Close shaver, a bit aggressive, the razor weighs about a ton of solid brass and the chrome finish is about a foot thick. It's one of the best razors out there IMO. Here's a picture of the Slimline set. Razor on the left, stropper on the right.

full

A STREAMline:wink:

My favourite shaver. And I dont find it aggressive at all. (coming from a person that finds merkur HD on the aggressive side :biggrin:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom