What's new

Travel brush advice for a newbie

I am new to the world of wetshaving and I have a question about travel brushes. My wife and I travel frequently and I would like some advice on how to travel with my shave brush. I currently use a Vulfix 2234S brush, which I absolutely love and would hate to lose, so I'm considering buying another brush for use when we travel. Is a turnback brush the way to go, or would I be better off getting a brush and travel tube? Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

My best advice would be to leave the brush at home, and travel with creams instead of soaps. Most creams can be lathered with the palm of your hand.

My own mobile shave-kit consists of minimal gear. A good face wash and synthetic chamois, a few sample-size creams and ASBs, an adjustable razor, a 5-pack of Astra-SP blades.

When traveling, I lower my standards slightly, and only shoot for a close, comfortable shave to keep me presentable. If I get a DFS out of it, that's great. Besides, it makes that first BBS shave when you get back home to your fully-stocked shave den that much more luxurious.

If you must use a brush, get one that is designed for travel from the get-go. I think a tube-style would be considerably less expensive than a turnback, and most likely provide more secure storage, as well.

In either case, never put your brush away wet. Go through the same routines you would at home to clean it and dry it after each use.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I am new to the world of wetshaving and I have a question about travel brushes. My wife and I travel frequently and I would like some advice on how to travel with my shave brush. I currently use a Vulfix 2234S brush, which I absolutely love and would hate to lose, so I'm considering buying another brush for use when we travel. Is a turnback brush the way to go, or would I be better off getting a brush and travel tube? Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Ken, just my 2 cents, I have a Vulfix "in the tube" #2273 travel brush, it was just a bit undersized for me .. worked fine, but now I am thinking I'll take my little Shavemac DO1. For the tube, many will say the big pill bottle, I happened to have a shave stick tube about (Mama Bear sells them) so I did some mods .. it will fit what is in the picture, the Rooney is a 3/1

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I use a larger sized empty spice jar with holes in the top for ventilation, and a Tweezerman brush. The Tweezerman brush is quite good, but cheap, so a loss is no loss.
just my 2c's

Make your own brush - I did.

The Golden Nib (google them) sell fantastic badger knots. I bought two knots from them a while ago to make travel brushes for my son and myself. They do a great 18mm pure badger knot for just $11.95, and a British 20mm pure dark badger for $13.95.

I teamed them up with a couple of handles from super cheap brushes that I bought from my local discount store for one dollar each. I just pulled the knots from these brushes by hand - they came out very easily, and epoxied the new ones in.

Ten minutes work and I had two new brushes for under $18 dollars each (including postage), and they are superb.

Last edited:
ive got a dovo turnback that goes with me whenever I travel

I dont see the need to sacrifice any of my regular shaving ritual when I travel, I always bring with me a selection of soaps, creams and afershaves (in small containers, obviously) as well as some straights. It really doesnt take up that much room, and its awesome to have great shaves on the road

I travel quite a bit myself and decided that I wanted to take along a nice shaving brush - so I went the turnback route. I ordered a Vulfix, and have used it at home a few times to see what I thought of it - so far I like it. As mentioned before - why not have a pleasant experience when you travel? If you are going on vacation to enjoy yourself - why just enjoy part of the the trip. If you are going on business then why not have a really good shave to make yourself feel good, and perhaps look better?

All in all - why cut back on pleasure? Who knows when our last day will be and I sure don't want to be on my death bed saying - I wish I would have done XYZ.

Top Bottom