What's new

Underrated movies

"You may be some hot **** on your turf but thus is MY territory!" Oh the memories! They Live..."I'm here to kick *** and chew bubblegum. And I'm ALL out of bubblegum." Haven't even heard that mentioned in years. I've always wanted to watch Dark City and Gattaca. Just never had a chance. I'm gonna throw in Dead Alive(I kick *** for the LORD!) and Cemetery Man.
+1 on Evil Dead. Without them we would not have Army of Darkness.

Equilibrium-It was released around the time of the Matrix and got overlooked.
Plunkett and Macleane-Fabulous movie with Alan Cumming, Liv Tyler, and Johnny Lee Miller

So many of these films are in my circle of favs. I don't think many of these are underrated, though, but I guess we all have different perceptions of the word.

They Live. Wow, I used to love that movie. Watched it probably 20 times as a kid.

The Green Butchers was great. I enjoyed that a lot.

Of course Barton Fink, and Leon, and La Femme are up there for me, too. Barton Fink was an especially well crafted film.

I think Shaun of The Dead gets the props it deserves, excellent film. The Fifth Element too...its one of my kids' favs.

However, A.I.!!!!! I think as bad as most consider it that it is over-rated! I saw it in the movies and I couldn't wait for it to end...and end it did, what about 4-5 times over the last extra hour of the movie? Seriously Steve...just because Kubrick didn't finish it didn't mean you had to! Wait, you didn't you just kept it going and going and going.

Sorry...rant over.

Last edited:
Underrated.... Here's a few lesser known (but totally badass) films that I'd nominate:

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Donnie Darko (I guess this one has a bit of a cult following, but I'd still call it underrated)
Green Street Hooligans
Feast
Oldboy
Pride of the Yankees (this may have been more popular in it's day but seeing as how it's 67 years old now, you don't hear anything about it; even among the classics)
Strange Brew

Clockwise starring John Cleese

Big Night
Dead Again
Gattaca
The Matador
Signs
Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind
Jackie Brown
Children of Men

I rented it the other day, haven't watched it yet, probably will today.

Dark City
The Fifth Element
The Butcher Boy
A.I.
Death To Smoochy

I loved that movie!

The Princess Bride - so much more than a children's story

Slingblade

cheers,

Mark

I've had that on my computer for SO long, but I haven't watched it yet. I'll get to it.

I think anything from Tarantino is under rated. Grindhouse was AMAZING and it BOMBED in theaters because people just DIDN'T get it. So many people left half way through because they thought it was done!

I'd like to add the Jungle Book. The animated Disney movie. I LOVE that movie.

The Man from Earth....so much done with so little.
American Psycho
Greenfingers

+1 for Equilibrium, The Matador and Princess Bride

Agree with Equilibrium, Shaun/Hot Fuzz and Open Range.

Here's what I would add -

Old:

Boom Town - great film with Spencer Tracy and Clark Gable as friends & rivals in the oil business. Tracy's speech at the ending courtroom scene is absolutely brilliant.

Americanization of Emily - Funny and unsettling movie that makes a more powerful anti-war statement than all the Vietnam epics combined (along those same lines, look for the almost never watched Paths of Glory to find Kubrik showing the folly of war better than the later Strangelove or FMJ)

Our Man in Havana - Best use of subtle humor in film history IMO. Vacuum cleaners as soviet secret weapons!

Broadway Melody of 1940 - Virtually unknown musical that has two great features - Fred Astaire's best dance with a partner and Fred Astaire's best dance partner - Elanor Powell, one of the loveliest faces in Hollywood history.

Royal Wedding - Again with Astaire. This has him dancing on the ceiling and with a coat rack. Plus a great stage number with him and Jane Powell playing a low-life Brooklyn couple.

Recent:

In Good Company-not the goofy 'father v. suitor' movie the previews made it out to be. Rather a very good redemption tale well scripted, directed and acted.

The Secret- cover art and descriptions indicated a 'supernatural thriller'. The actual film was a unique telling of a mother coming to understand her daughter. David Duchovny was good as a conflicted father in an impossible situation, but the movie belonged 100% to the girl playing the daughter - I don't know her name but she played Juno's friend in that movie - a really great performance.

The Condemned - Deadly violence as sport but with no cartooning of the violence or the characters. What Running Man, Death Race, etc should have been.

Lost in Austen - ITV mini series about an Austen fan, Amanda, who swaps places with Elizabeth Bennet. Hokey premise that should have been a trite, trashy film, but instead was a very well done retelling of Pride and Prejudice. Sure they have the obligatory anachronism and culture clash humor, but thankfully this was peripheral and the development of the characters in reaction to Amanda's presence/Lizzy's absence was the bedrock of the movie.

Last edited:
Top Bottom