What's new

The rise and fall of ADs

I joined B&B in Jan 2009 and instantly got sucked into ADs...RAD, SBAD, Shave Cream / Shave Soap AD...you name it I had it.

Well I can say that I have pared down my shave den to the following items:
Slant
Fatboy
Nivea (German)
Speick (SC)
Speick (Splash)
Thayers Lemon WH
5 MB Soaps
Castle Forbes Lime ASB

That is a far cry from where I was...so I guess what I am saying is...

My name is Sluggo and I am a recovering from multiple ADs

I enjoy my AD's. I spent a total of $75 on three razors on the B/S/T today, and I am as happy as a clam. :clamsmileyhere:

When I used to buy guitars, or stereo equipment, or golf clubs, I would spend10 or 20 times that, just for starters.

This is a wonderful hobby for these economic times.

I shall NOT repent!!!

not to mention, it's being put to daily use. as opposed to........

i'm tryin to be very careful with my purchases. making them only in stores, etc..:tongue_sm

Welcome Sluggo! :biggrin:

I'm in the same boat, I bought everything that I thought worthwhile when I just started out. I made a few prunings (switched back to creams from $oap$) and things were going great till I discovered I liked Vintage Gillettes more than the new stuff you kids buy now. But I have Found two razors that deliver the goods (Slim Adjustable and Schick Krona) so I'm in the process of selling off my experimental Gillettes (20 or so). When I finish, my collection will look like this:

Gillette Slim Adjustable, Schick Krona

Rooney Emillion/EJ synthetic brushes

TOBS/GFT/Speick creams (tho I have a sample pack of Fitjar creams that I have to work through, all 11)

Baxter ASB, Speick ASB

Blades? Lets just say I'm set for life. :w00t:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
There's no such thing as recovering from ADs... You can have a slow down or AD1 is replaced by AD2 but never recover! :biggrin:

I started around 1/09 and went from Merkurs to Gillettes, Creams to Soaps back to creams and now back to soaps, Pure to Best to Silvertip....etc.

It's been a fun ride but I've settled on:

1 Razor: Fatboy
1 Brush: Saville Row 3120 Silvertip
Proraso Aftershave Splash
Thayers Witchazel
Soaps: Moos, MWF, Blenheim Bouquet, Provence Sante, Arlington (all milled into their own shave stick tubes!!!)
Creams: Santa Maria Novella, Musgo Real

I've never bothered about soaps , creams, aftershaves or colognes.
I just have proraso, T&H and an eshave soap, no creams, and only generic aftershaves.

I only have a boar brush and a edwin jagger BBB.

But man do I love my razors, got about 40 :(
Not buying many now, about 1 a month (used to but 2-3 a week), but I have to sell some off and stop buying any.
The problem is I keep chasing the dream, I started with a merkur, then went to gillette, then bought some GEMS, then some Rolls, then decided on GEMs again and now trying to buy the rare (but cheap) GEMs.
So at least I'm spending less because I'm not buying any gillettes! Most GEMs are $5-20 even for mint cased ones.

I think mine is in remission right now. I have found a razor I really like, two brushes that I love, several creams that I really like, and a cologne. So, nothing to chase for now.
Larry

I enjoy my AD's. I spent a total of $75 on three razors on the B/S/T today, and I am as happy as a clam. :clamsmileyhere:

When I used to buy guitars, or stereo equipment, or golf clubs, I would spend10 or 20 times that, just for starters.

I shall NOT repent!!!

Roger that!!! When I was buying car parts I could easily drop $1k for one part. I like wet shaving ADs. They're much cheaper.

Roger that!!! When I was buying car parts I could easily drop $1k for one part. .
Roger that +1.
When I was much younger,(and dumber) I had gotten into old cars, mainly old Buicks. I'd buy some clunker, make it really nice, drive it for a while then sell it and buy another challenge. Never made any money on the sale, but it was fun at the time. When I think of all the money that was spent, I cringe. If I had saved or invested it, I'd be retired by now.
Razors and other shaving goodies are much less expensive, more interesting to collect (thanks to B&B) and I have enough stuff to use a different combo of goodies every day for a week. And they're easier to keep in the shave den than a '56 Roadmaster.

But then again, you can't drive a '60 SuperSpeed to church on Sunday.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
"My name is Sluggo and I am a recovering from multiple ADs"

Yeah right, just wait for the relapse....:biggrin:

ADs abate? My HAD is in remission while waiting for a Water of Ayr hone to appear; SRAD: I can hardly resist Sheffield steel and as for SBAD, well one day - sooner or later - I will have a Rooney Heritage. Hell, it has been more than a week since I purchased a straight so I'd consider my ADs more or less under (tenuous) control.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
If you pace yourself, you can make this hobby and all the AD's last a life time, rather than burning out in six months.

I shall NOT repent!!!

Exactly

I collect custom knives, watches and guns, so the few hundred dollars I've invested in wet shaving equipment/supplies has been a very inexpensive AD. As a matter of fact, I don't even have to get the wife's permission with this AD :lol::lol::lol:

I used to buy guitars too, when I couldn't really afford to and didn't really play. A few razors and a couples brushes over a year brings me much enjoyment for cheap. Not to mention the friendly chatting on this board, this has become an enjoyable hobby that I enjoy every morning.

Acquisition Disorder (AD), or a tendency to buy enough supplies to last, conservatively, for the next couple of decades...:biggrin:

Typically, you'll see the abbreviation preceded by the abbreviation for your specific disorder; e.g.,

SB = Shaving Brush
SR = Straight Razor
R = Razor
SC = Shaving Cream
S = Soap

etc...

Top Bottom