What's new

Is anyone using a Pilot Vanishing Point?

That's a good price, eBay sales of new ones seems to finish around the $100 point lately.

yes. i paid $85+15shipping for mine, new in box...so $95 shipped from a B&B member is a good deal. no issues with ebay, trusted sellers and ship times would be better. mine is coming from Japan

my pen appears to be in Canada now, so hopefully in hand this week. ordered some cartridges for it (red, purple, blue, green)....come on Canada Post.

I use a black vanishing point with fine nib daily. It's a workhorse -- one hell of a pen. I switch off between Diamine Monaco Red and Aurora Black. Great inks.

So true! I have a Pilot VP pen with a F nib, and two Decimos (a lighter and thinner version) with two F nibs, and a M nib bought as an extra. Some of the F nibs are more like XF, depending on whether they were made for the Western or Asian market.

They really are work horses in every sense of the word. The only negative can be that they have to be refilled quite often as the ink capacity isn´t that great.

my yellow M nib showed up yesterday....so far so good, i'll post some pics and my limited experience review/thoughts in a couple days.

expect a positive review. i love it. size, weight, nib, unique factor, color

my yellow M nib showed up yesterday....so far so good, i'll post some pics and my limited experience review/thoughts in a couple days.

expect a positive review. i love it. size, weight, nib, unique factor, color

I have been using the VP that Bob loaned me for a few letters and things, and I am really enjoying it as well! When I refill my piggy bank, I am going to pick one up!

here is a shot of my yellow so you can see the colour. it's very close to the M&F Butterscotch brush, but a tad more mustardy.
$IMG_5043.jpg

here is a shot of my yellow so you can see the colour. it's very close to the M&F Butterscotch brush, but a tad more mustardy.

Nice! I've been thinking about one, and your's is even the color I like...
Where did you say you got it? I can't find one for under $139, especially in the yellow.

Last edited:
well, i've had the VP for a few weeks now and am loving it even more now after putting it to the test.

my lamy was nice, but was often dry when i 1st started to use it if it had sat, it also left ink all over the nib area from when the cap was on (lamy safari) and even though it was a Medium Nib, it was a bit scratch, not much, but a little.

the VP is clean, sleak, nice to hold, sturdy and never leaves a mess. the odd time, it takes a split second to get writting, but only if it hasn't been used that day. it's a Medium nib and is probably on the finer side of Medium, but "lays down a nice line" (i think that's how you FP guys talk). having no cap is such a treat. a quick click and the VP is ready to write, no messing around, no fumbling.

it's become my official "meeting pen", but i use it for regular use as well. i purchased some cartridges and am currently writing with Pilot Purple (dark purple) and enjoying it very much.

it's my only FP right now and for once, since joining B&B, i'm not looking to trade, sell or acquire any other FP. :001_tongu

i had a few of the Benton Clays, a few customs, the Lamy but none were in the same league as this thing....it's a beauty and i'm loving it.

I use one and love it. Actually it's a Namiki Vanishing Point. I believe there was a merger or buy out with Pilot a few years back.

This is NOT true. They are the same company and have always been. In 1915, Ryosuki Namiki began producing gold nibs, and, in 1916, complete writing instruments. In 1918, Namiki and Masao Wada formed the Namiki Manufacturing Company, Ltd. In 1938, the company became the Pilot Fountain Pen Company, Ltd. In Japan their entire line is Pilot but in the US and other Western counties they did not want people associating their better pens with their cheap ball points so they used Namiki for their better fountain pens. Totally same pens and company.

Last edited:
I have loved fountain pens for a while. I have Pelikans, TWSBI, an Edison and a few random others. I had resisted buying a VP because I did not care for its appearance. I was in my local shop (2 hrs away) and there was guy looking to buy a grad gift. We got to talking about pens and the store owner showed him a VP. I only listened with half-hearted interest as the man took it for a test drive. Wow, he exclaimed. So, I, again half-heartedly, tried the pen. I was hooked on its smooth nib. I was at a conference that week and needed to take lots of notes. That VP was great! It kept up with my writing with no skip or hesitations. I still love my other pens, but I have not put down my VP since the purchase.

I believe I've given thumbs up to this pen before, and you must take this as what it is, coming from a pen-noramus as I am, but the Vanishing Point with fine nib is a pen that makes me want to write. :)

Top Bottom