What's new

Wacky Tabac-y (or Tabac-o Road Revisited)

As I sit here wallowing in my own crapulence, and basking in the wonderful aroma of this morning's all Tabac shave (SS, ASL, EdC, UAD), I can't help but wonder exactly what it is that so tickles my olfactories. Is it Chocolate-Covered Cherries? Jelly Beans? Bubble Gum? Balloons? Cough Syrup? All, some or none of the above?

I am acutely aware that this particular topic has been debated ad nauseam in prior threads, but that never stopped me from rehashing a subject which is of such monumental importance (to me and, I hope, to you).

I know I LOVE this stuff -- it lathers like no other and I have repeatedly stated on these boards that, IMHO, Tabac is one of the great pleasures of wetshaving -- I just don't know why. Can someone please explain the attraction to me? :001_smile

Enjoy!

I shaved with Tabac this morning with a splash of Marlborough AS and finished with CF cedar and Sandalwood ASB. I think they work well together and try to revel on it at least once a week.
It was a weeping, nicking free close smooth shave. Tabac is a great shaver but the scent is a once a week affair

dont worry mate - I totally get it. I wear tabac cologne at least 3 days a week. Not only is it a great smell, but the soap, asl and even asb work great.

I just got my first puck of Tabac yesterday. I think it smells horrible. It reminds me of a day old ash try full of cigarette butts. However, reading all the rave reviews on how well in lathers and shaves I decided to give it a go. Well, it lathered great and shaved just as good. I had zero irritation. I finished up w/ som Nivea AS balm for sensitive skin and all was good. I will keep it and I will continue to use it regardless of the smell. I will admit, the more I smelled it, the less repulsive it became.

I just got my first puck of Tabac yesterday. I think it smells horrible. It reminds me of a day old ash try full of cigarette butts. However, reading all the rave reviews on how well in lathers and shaves I decided to give it a go. Well, it lathered great and shaved just as good. I had zero irritation. I finished up w/ som Nivea AS balm for sensitive skin and all was good. I will keep it and I will continue to use it regardless of the smell. I will admit, the more I smelled it, the less repulsive it became.

I liked the scent from day one, but it also seems to be an easily acquired taste . . . er, smell.

It mellows quite a bit with some use. Plus...the scent grows on you. Before you know it, you will be a fan

I liked the scent from day one, but it also seems to be an easily acquired taste . . . er, smell.

Me too. I never understood the tobacco aroma references (it must be just because of the name). To me, it smells more like a candy store than anything else -- There is something at once familiar and exotic about it -- I just can't quite put my finger on what that might be.

Me too. I never understood the tobacco aroma references (it must be just because of the name). To me, it smells more like a candy store than anything else -- There is something at once familiar and exotic about it -- I just can't quite put my finger on what that might be.

At first I thought I could describe it like somthing else...now I can't. It's Tabac, it is its own description.

I would like to, at this time, volunteer myself as an official disposal center for all unwanted Tabac products that any of you may have acquired and do not like.

I promise to dispose of them in an environmentally friendly manner, and absolutely no animals will be harmed during the effort.

It's a big sacrifice, but I am willing to step up and take one for the team. B&B has given me much, and it's my time to give a little back.

PM me for the address to send those Tabac products.

It reminds me of a day old ash try full of cigarette butts.

My first reaction was similar. The first wiff of Tabac took me back to when I was little, and gramps took me to the local Eagles Club to use the swimming pool. The locker and shower rooms were covered in ceramic and tile and all the old dudes would be in there showering and standing at the sinks just in towels, all shaving with cutthroats, maneuvering the blade around the ciggy hanging from their lips, while the ashes fell into the sink and the smoke swirled around the fluorescents. All you could smell was soap, cheap aftershave and the ashtray stands filled with butts.

The scent does grow on you, though. And the great shave is worth it.

When I got some Tabac Shaving Soap for the first time recently, I ran the scent past the bride. She got very thoughtful, and then told me to stay where I was, and to keep my eyes closed.

She returned, and had me smell the Tabac and another item...it was kind of close, the Tabac was more pungent, but there were certainly similarities.

When I opened my eyes she showed me an old bar of Ivory soap.

I asked her what she thought of the scent.

"Oh, I like Ivory soap, and that stuff is like Ivory with testosterone."

The cologne is on the way.

that stuff is like Ivory with testosterone."

Interesting way to put it.

I still get a kind of familiar, sweet, candy-like smell, which is what I am attempting unsuccessfully to identify or at least put in words.

Dr. Pepper, perhaps?

:tongue_sm

To me, it smells like a busload of 80 year old grannies on a bourbon, cigar, and bingo bender.

I use it almost every day. Hell, I changed my avatar, I like it that much.

Still smells like granny's ashtray, though.

Top Bottom