What's new

How to refresh an antique straight razor?

I have my great grandfather's straight razor. I would like to refresh it, but I'm not sure what to do. I know I would need to clean it, steralize it, and sharpen it, but I was hoping there might be a post or article describing the details I need to know.

Thanks very much.

My advice (and take it with a grain of salt) is to get at least one or two other practice blades to do this with first. If all goes according to plan you won't kill the practice blades, but if it goes wrong you won't hurt the irreplaceable family heirloom.

Cleaning is usually somewhat straightforward depending on how much rust/patina is on the blade. My recommendation is that you don't use anything more abrasive than dish soap and maybe a fuzzy pipe cleaner on the scales to get them clean. You can trust your great grandfather didn't have some strange disease, and barbicide (and even alcohol) can react with some scale materials in a very negative manner from my personal experience. For the blade itself a dunk in barbicide would probably be prudent just to get it to close to factory freshness, but this depends on the blade.

Can you show pictures of the blade? That would show if there are any gold washes/ engravings/ fancy materials that would need extra TLC.

welcome.

It really depends on the condition of it as to what your next move it.

Pics can really help us tell you what your next moves might be.

If you want to do-it-yourself, be very careful. Restoring a razor is harder than it looks when you first try it. I would say that I failed!!!

I agree with the send it out advice. That is what I would have done! But if you really want to do it yourself, I would not touch for a while until you look at the work that the pros have done and have a lot of practice.

That is a little more than just general clean up....

I am by no means saying you can't do the work but, I would definitely learn on a few e-babies first...

There is a ton of intrinsic value involved with a family heirlooms that makes them irrepacable.... I don't even know of many restorers that take them on because of that, Max and I for sure, anyone else can pipe up if they do...

I always recommend that you do the work yourself as the satisfaction factor is huge, but if you don't have the tools or the skill set, then send it out and get it done right....

+1 on this. glen and Max do some very good work. If you want to see their restorations go to the Gallery of their websites.
Bill Wilcox

Top Bottom