What's new

DC Red Line Metro Accident

As a previous resident and rider of the red line my thoughts go out to the folks caught up in the accident that just happened. I hope everyone that lives down there makes it home safely tonight.

I'm very thankful that my wife drove to work today. Prayers for those affected.

+1. I live on the Red Line. I wonder if this has to do with the recent expansion of train cars during rush hour. I send out my prayers as well.

P.S death toll's at 4 now. What a tragedy.

Yup...heard about this accident in the Barber chair of all places. Been out of pocket the past 24 hours.

Nutty world we live in.

Somewhere out there, some family kissed their mom/dad/sister/brother this morning thinking: "no big deal...just another day at work."

Carpe Diem man...you never know when your time is up!

Thoughts and prayers for those families BIGTIME!

For the first time since October, I drove to work today to get some cardboard boxes for the upcoming pack-and-move to Texas. I take the Red line every day to work, and home, and so does my wife. Scary.

+1. I live on the Red Line. I wonder if this has to do with the recent expansion of train cars during rush hour. I send out my prayers as well.

P.S death toll's at 4 now. What a tragedy.

As a professional railroader I have to say I doubt it. Most of these accidents are caused by human error. While freak malfunctions do happen, the signaling system is pretty much infalable. When it is broke it defaults to it's most restrictive indication usualy a restricting aspect or a stop aspect. A lot of times guys running these tight scheduls with lots of stops are used to always having a good signal to run on and so my guess at the moment is that who ever was driving wasn't paying attention and ran through a signal telling him to be going very slow and looking out for obstructions ahead or to stop altogether.

For the first time since October, I drove to work today to get some cardboard boxes for the upcoming pack-and-move to Texas. I take the Red line every day to work, and home, and so does my wife. Scary.
Whew--I thought of you two, and of other friends who ride regularly; all now accounted for. Mrs. M and I heard all the emergency vehicles' sirens, and the Medivac 'copters went over our house shortly after. Horrifying, and way, way too close to home.

Somewhere out there, some family kissed their mom/dad/sister/brother this morning thinking: "no big deal...just another day at work."

You said it, man, unfortunately.

Years ago I just missed the last train to get home on redline back when a train going the other way got hit in woodley park causing a massive delay (it was hotter than heck and I had to walk a few miles home to cleveland park, but the main problem was for an hour or so because of the lack of info infamous in DC my wife had no idea if I was alive or not). It's sad that the DC metro hasn't done more for safety or getting out better info.

Back when I was down there, right after 9/11, there were a lot of random fires and crazy manhole explosions that were never explained...I guess building an underground system like this in a swamp wasn't the best idea. And, I think they overwork the folks way too much.

I'm just glad as bad as it looks like it was, it wasn't worse (an outgoing train would've had 10 times the fatalities and injuries).

Yup...heard about this accident in the Barber chair of all places. Been out of pocket the past 24 hours.

Nutty world we live in.

Yet with all this, many people in the States live with this "It's Not Going to Happen to Me" mentality. Uncontrollable bad things like this cause people to reflect for a minute, then they go right back to driving with their knees so they can text and drink coffee. It's sad. I am sorry for those who lost loved ones.

Top Bottom