What's new

Any quality unscented wet shaving products ?

I started wet shaving a couple of weeks ago after a lot of research, reading opinions, etc. I am getting a lot better with my technique and my shaves are getting increasingly enjoyable and nicks/irritation have all but disappeared.

I use Proraso pre-shave cream and Proraso shaving soap (green tub). My wife has an aversion/allergy to scents, and the scent of my shaving products makes her sick....so I am turning to the audience that is likely to have an answer....

Do you know of a good line of shaving soaps/creams that are unscented?

Thanks for reading...

Kiss My Face Shaving Cream comes in an unscented variety, and seems pretty high regarded in the reviews. :thumbup1:

I have some in stock, but have yet to try it.

Gotta plug for a friend here, check out Kell's Original. Hand made by a friend of mine. If you have sensitive skin, or want to get by without a moisturizer, try the Ultra Aloe blend.

Kell's was developed to be as hypo-allergenic as possible, and I think it works great, and for $1.50 + shipping for a sample, you won't be out much at all if you don't like it!

KMF, as mentioned.

T&H Ultimate Comfort doesn't have much of a scent (you could smell it, but maybe she wouldn't be able to).

The Art of Shaving makes an unscented line. The products are expensive (some say overpriced), but in my opinion they make one of the best ASB's on the market.

I've had problems using scented stuff to the point where my face will burn like fire if I use something with a scent in it. Even the very mild fragrance in MWF (and check the label, it's there!) left me hurting. Throughout the experience of trying several scented offerings that were awesome (even moisturizing despite their painful nature), I tried one mostly unscented offering that has been my one and only friend, and a friend for life.

Try some VDH glycerin. It's cheap, it's effective, and frankly the scent is so weak unless SWMBO were to try inhaling the puck, you should be okay. By the time you whip it into lather the scent is pretty much gone (though I guess a lather fight might be out of the question...). For 1.27 a puck on Amazon (though probably 2-2.50 for a trial puck in the store) it's worth a try.

I go out of my way to seek out unscented products ... my skin isn't particularly sensitive, but I like fragrance-free for aesthetic reasons.

Here's some that I've found are particularly good:

generic Witch Hazel for an ASL (very mild scent going on, no aroma after it dries)
Bigelow's #1200 ASB
T&H Ultimate Comfort line
Kiss My Face fragrance-free shaving cream
C&E Naturals for Men line
Jack Black Beard Lube (doesn't claim to be unscented, but I can't smell anything when I use it.)
The Body Shop, Old Formula.

I think there ought to be a law that every manufacturer that puts out shaving products, should be required to produce an unscented version.

Scented products I like:
Williams Mug Soap, and its snooty cousin T&H Luxury Soap
Musgo Real
Tabac, especially with all the Tabac-cessories. (Oh, Yeah!)
MWF

Scented products I can't stand:
Sandalwood anything ... makes my skin crawl. I can't even be in the same room with it.

Try some VDH glycerin. It's cheap, it's effective, and frankly the scent is so weak unless SWMBO were to try inhaling the puck, you should be okay. By the time you whip it into lather the scent is pretty much gone (though I guess a lather fight might be out of the question...). For 1.27 a puck on Amazon (though probably 2-2.50 for a trial puck in the store) it's worth a try.

+1

All Van der hagen soaps pretty much just smell like plain glycerin soap - so if that doesn't bother her than give that a try. It's also cheap and available locally at pharmacies and walmart etc.

Thank you for your replies! I looked at Momma Bear's and Gentlemen's refinery and other fine products, which I am sure I will test over time.
For the time being, to fulfill the immediate need to shave, I went to Whole Foods and picked up a bottle of KMF unscented shave cream. It is nice...

Top Bottom