What's new

Would you wear and EDP

So I have been reading about different scents, and learning the differences in the names of EDT, EDP, cologne, etc. is usually based on concentration of oils in the fragrance. I was looking into purchasing a banana republic EDT, because the scents are simple, great, and affordable.

The make a scent i really enjoy called "Classic" which is just that, it is a simple and clean scent. This is an EDT that they actually market as for both male and female use. But, for a little more they just came out with a limited Eau de Parfum version that costs just a little more. Same scent, just a higher concentration of oils so you use less and it lasts longer. But, they are marketing this scent for women, not for both.

Do you think they are just doing that because men might shy away because it says perfume? If that the only case, as a guy, would you where it since its a higher quality version? The website says nothing about it being for women only, but it is only sold in the catalog and website under the womens section. There is only a few dollar price differential, but with the original EDT I do get 25 more ml? Should I just make up for the scent concentration with the higher amount of ml?

Personally, I think women's perfume should be bolder and more attention-grabbing than a guy's. Same with things like evening-wear--obviously, a dress is going to be more immediately noticeable than a dinner jacket.

So most likely I'd go with the EdT just so it doesn't come across as too much. But if you like it, go for it.

So I have been reading about different scents, and learning the differences in the names of EDT, EDP, cologne, etc. is usually based on concentration of oils in the fragrance. I was looking into purchasing a banana republic EDT, because the scents are simple, great, and affordable.

The make a scent i really enjoy called "Classic" which is just that, it is a simple and clean scent. This is an EDT that they actually market as for both male and female use. But, for a little more they just came out with a limited Eau de Parfum version that costs just a little more. Same scent, just a higher concentration of oils so you use less and it lasts longer. But, they are marketing this scent for women, not for both.

Do you think they are just doing that because men might shy away because it says perfume? If that the only case, as a guy, would you where it since its a higher quality version? The website says nothing about it being for women only, but it is only sold in the catalog and website under the womens section. There is only a few dollar price differential, but with the original EDT I do get 25 more ml? Should I just make up for the scent concentration with the higher amount of ml?

I'm not familiar w/this scent. But if working in & around the ad biz for the last 20 years has taught me anything I'd venture a guess that yes, they're not marketing it to men because the word "perfume" is in the title.

If you can verify that it is, in fact, the same exact scent as the EdT, then by all means grab yourself a bottle of the perfume. It will be stronger & last longer (sorry for the cheesy rhyme :redface:). If the bottle is too feminine for your taste you can always decant it into a more nondescript bottle.

I have a few oil-based perfume scents; they last absolutely forever. A little dab'll do ya.

Good luck!

With this recent thread taken into consideration, I would say that gendering fragrances is extremely subjective. In my opinion, if you can "pull off" the scent well, go for it!

Last edited:
The packaging is not effeminate at all. The original is super clean. Just a simple glass bottle, that declares nicely the word "classic." The EDP just has a few added flourishes, but nothing effeminate. I skimmed the package the other day, and the formula seemed the same. I believe the product catalog at the store even said something to the effect of "same classic scent, now a higher concentration" I will go verify.

here is the original:
http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?searchCID=25789&pid=469452&scid=469452002&vid=1

Here is the EDP:

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=17106&vid=1&pid=591941

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
There are a number of so-called Unisex scents out there, and I believe there are more and more scents now marketed as unisex. A lot of the Creed scents are such. There are also a number of EdP's out there for men, Castle Forbes scents come to mind - it has a higher concentration of the scent-giving ingredients and you need less to apply than a EdT or even a cologne.
I love CF's Lonach and it is an EdP.

Well, first be sure that both versions are actually the same juice. The fact that they switch genders is a likely indicator pointing that these two fragrances may actually be substantially different, not only in their concentration.

OTOH, although they are not as common as their feminine counterparts, there are quite a few fragrances for men in EdP concentration, like Heritage, L'Instant, (in the near future) Terre D'Hermes, Dior Homme intense, The Millesime Line of Creed, A few of the Bond no 9, Montales (though these are marketed as unisex), Amouage, By kilian's, Divine's, etc.

Top Bottom