What's new

Edwin Jagger DE89 still the best!

The R89 has a larger handle, but it is decidedly light, making the razor head heavy. Many here like the razor, but I know that some value good balance highly.

The DE89 has a smaller handle, but it is heavier. Better balanced and easier to maneuver.

The shaves I get from the R89 are very good, but I find myself needing a bit more touchup than with the EJ. I'm sure this would sort itself out if I would only be able to commit to using it exclusively for a while.

The handle of the Muhle being a little lighter, does it feel thin and flimsy or is it well made but "lighter"? I like the pattern better on the Muhle, but the balance of the DE89L seems more opitimal. If the Muhle gives the impression of thin light weight metal, I would opt for the EJ. What do you think?

The handle of the Muhle being a little lighter, does it feel thin and flimsy or is it well made but "lighter"? I like the pattern better on the Muhle, but the balance of the DE89L seems more opitimal. If the Muhle gives the impression of thin light weight metal, I would opt for the EJ. What do you think?

From what I have read (although I don't own a Muhle), the photos of the Muhle handle are somewhat misleading. Some who own it indicate the pattern is something like a stamped handle. While I have heard no one complain about it, it seems like the handle is not the Muhle's strong point.

eric.

Last edited:
I bought a Muhle back when they came out. I like the razor but it has not been my favorite. I used a Slim while I was re-aquainting myself with DE shaving and the Slim fells much heavier in the head than the Muhle.

I am using my Aristocrat now which also feels comparatively head heavy. It might be the over all weight but the Muhle seemed to bounce around a little more against my coarse beard. I just ordered a New Bull Mastiff Deluxe razor from Bob's Razor Works which should move me up near the top of handle heavy razors.

I am making the changes because I am giving my son starter shaving gear for Christmas and was not able to find him a near mint quality Slim like mine. I decided to give him my Slim and the Muhle too so he will have a choice.

The R89 has a larger handle, but it is decidedly light, making the razor head heavy. Many here like the razor, but I know that some value good balance highly.

The DE89 has a smaller handle, but it is heavier. Better balanced and easier to maneuver.

The shaves I get from the R89 are very good, but I find myself needing a bit more touchup than with the EJ. I'm sure this would sort itself out if I would only be able to commit to using it exclusively for a while.

This is clearly in the YMMV sector I think. The thing I like most about the Mühle is the fact that it is a bit head-heavy; that is the kind of balance that makes a razor more agile and less inert (YMMV-disclaimer! :biggrin:).

A bit like the Fat handled Tech compared to the ball-end version.

From what I have read (although I don't own a Muhle), the photos of the Muhle handle are somewhat misleading. Some who own it indicate the pattern is something like a stamped handle. While I have heard no one complain about it, it seems like the handle is not the Muhle's strong point.

eric.

For me the Mühle handle (=hollow) is among the nicest I have ever held. YMMV (again) for sure but the lightness together with the diameter give it great control over my shave.
It isn't knurled like the Merkurs but IMHO it is in no way less in terms of grip nor quality.

eric.

The handle is lighter than you'd expect, but for some reason I get the impression of increased quality from this, rather than flimsiness. I think it has a "blown" or "hydroformed" feel, which is really classy, coupled with the quality of plating and finishing on the handle itself. This allows the balance-point to be much further towards the head than it would be if the handle was like a 34c, allowing the pivot-point to be more naturally where it should be, IMHO.

I just purchased and started using a EJ DE89. It is an extremely smooth razor. Not quite as aggressive as an HD but so smooth that it compensates for the slight lack in aggressiveness. Still trying razors in it.

I thought my HD would retire my SS, but I find myself using the SS more than the HD. Me thinks it's time I gave into the RAD and tried another razor and the DE89 is high on my "try" list. Are the model #'s we're talking in this thread the following:
DE86 - ebony handle
DE87 - ivory
DE89 - chrome
DE89L - lined chrome

Is there a difference in the weight or length or grip between these models or is it just color?

The "L" designates the longitudinal lines in the handle as opposed to smooth finish. I am a lot more comfortable with the knurled surface of a HD or Tech ball end, so I did a "trailer park" mod of my EJ DE89L and put a wrap or two of waterproof bandage tape around the base of the handle to make it more "grippy". I know, "the horror", it's easily reversible and non marring. :001_tongu

I find the lines to be sufficient. Certainly the grip on the HD is better, but thus far my 89L has not slipped. And the lines contribute to making it a stunningly handsome razor.

eric.

Oh I thought it was a special lining!

Is it really worth the extra money?I've found a 89 for £53, but a 89L for £70. I've also found a Muhle R89 for £25.

Is the EJ worth that much more??

The online vendors I have been looking at the EJ 89 and 89L are usually priced the same ~$30 or within a couple dollars of each other but the Muhle is significantly more expensive ~$50.

Is it really worth the extra money?I've found a 89 for £53, but a 89L for £70. I've also found a Muhle R89 for £25.

Woah! Do not pay 53 GBP for that razor. The EJ DE89L should cost you around $30 (that's US dollars). The English Shaving Company was selling it a little while back for about that with free shipping.

I went with the EJ over Muhle to save money, and I'm glad I did.

Today is my first "I'm on Christmas vacation" shave, and I'll be using the 89L for the first time. I never really cared for Merkur razors. I tried two. They were a little too aggressive for me, and the fit/finish was just ok.

This EJ is stunning, and even if it's not my favorite shaver, I'm going to keep it. The machine work and plating is incredible. I really can't gush about the build quality enough. It's the nicest razor I've ever seen. I typically use a Super Speed and a Tech, so we'll see how the shave goes.

-Andy

The English Shaving Company site advertises the DE89L for 21 pounds with VAT. Respectfully submit that you are looking in the wrong places!

Ok. So this is a truly great razor. I used it with an Israeli Personna earlier this evening. It's a really smooth shaver, and I even did a good job with some major trouble spots on my neck that I normally just irritate if I try to get a close shave using a Super Speed or Tech. I've been using a Tech a lot lately, so the head on the DE89L seemed very bulky and heavy. It was still pretty easy to adjust to, though. I'm going to keep using it for a while to dial in my technique/blade angle. However, if my shaves improve, it'll just be icing on the cake.

This Edwin Jagger is way better than the Merkur razors I've tried this past year. I can see how this is a RAD killer.

-Andy

Do you have a link for the 89L on The English Shaving company site. I thought that's where I saw it for 70GBP.

I was looking at the wrong razor. the Chatsworth was 70GBP. Just ordered the 89l for 21GBP. Hope it arrives before Christmas!!

Count me in as fan of the new razor head by EJ. I have the Georgian and the Lined Chatsworth. Recently i had a handle made, by Bob, to fit this head. Shaves as well as she looks. :thumbup1:

proxy.php

Top Bottom