What's new

Storing Soap?

Hi Everyone,

I have enjoyed the helpful posts as a guest for a short while now and this is my first post after taking the plunge. I was given a brand new Muhle badger brush for free last week (my sister thought it was a $50 makeup brush) and I randomly stumbled across a 1968 Gillette slim the next day, I figured the shaving gods were calling me, and here I am. A puck of Col. Conk and I am good to go. It felt great to throw away the Mach 3 I've been using since high school. The mechanics and design of these old razors is so cool, they were built to last.

So, I had one question after my first, and best shave with my old school DE (not one cut!) How would you suggest storing the soap? I've never used it before, it gave a great shave, but do you just leave it in the mug overnight?

Thanks,

B

yep.

I let my soap dry out, then cover it (so dust and jargon doesnt get in) and then put it away.

Pyrex makes one cup bowls with lids that work great also in the same manner Dunn explained. Great if you get several soaps, about 8 bucks for four bowls with lids.

I'm a cheapskate and use little round Tupperware type plastic tubs with lids I get from a local supermarket at under £1 for four. They stack nicely in the wall cupboard.

As for If you get another soap, I think it should read WHEN you get several more soaps...

Resistance is futile.

Gareth

Welcome, by the way!

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure that it was alright for it to dry out. I'll probably go with good ol' tupperware for now as well. I can already see the potential for addiction!

-B

Welcome! I've discovered that Glad makes an eight pack of microwaveable storage bowls that seem to be the perfect size for melting a puck of soap into, and they have tightly sealing lids. Just in case you get the urge to melt your soap into a covered container...

That having been said, I just leave my current victim in the mug between shaves...

Welcome to B&B!! I use Corning ware ramekins..The plastic lids from Quaker Oats containers fit nice and tightly....

Best regards,
Julian

Milling or melting soaps into containers gives one complete freedom of choice in storage containers, often available at low cost. Col. Conk soap melts very easily in the microwave (try 10 secs.) I wouldn't try that with Tupperware however. But if something works for you, don't fix it.

Top Bottom