What's new

Flattening vs. stretching

Not sure if this should go in the Newbie Check-in section since it's a technique post, but...

I never really heeded Mantic's advice about flattening the skin instead of stretching it until very recently. I always felt like it wouldn't get as close, but I've been on an anti-irritation jihad of late, thickening my lather, re-learning angle, kyle's prep, etc. I decided to give it a try.

WOW!

By doing the opposite of stretching, I got every bit as close, but suddenly my face looked much smoother. I think I was irritated in ways I wasn't aware of, and this really fixed it. No weepers, no ingrowns, no cuts (all things which plagued me recently). It makes the jawline so much easier, and suddenly I can see how my grain pattern goes. Plus, I cover more ground with each stroke.

I have dry, somewhat sensitive skin (actually combination skin). My beard is a Grade II but lies very flat against my face. I always could find extra stubble by flattening, even after a BBS stretched shave. Now, much better. I heartily recommend giving it a try on all 3 passes.

I don't really understand what you mean by flattening. I don't think I really see how I can flatten my skin without stretching it...

I think I understand what you're talking about. I made a similar discovery some time ago. Some facial contortions seem to work better than others depending on the area of my face/neck that I'm shaving, and the direction I'm shaving (WTG/XTG/ATG). Bullfrogging in particular always seems to work well for me in that little area above my adams apple.

However, I still do stretch the skin slightly in certain places, but not tightly--just enough to give the razor a flat surface on which to shave.

I really enjoy having a bunch of different tools in my shaving arsenal--different techniques that I have found work best in certain areas. When they all come together and things just seem to click into place, it's very rewarding!

What Mantic is talking about in his video is that for single edge shaving (with the exception of straight shaving where one must strech) that the goal is to shave flat areas. He suggests that you find way to make flat facets like a diamond on your face.

What Mantic is talking about in his video is that for single edge shaving (with the exception of straight shaving where one must strech) that the goal is to shave flat areas. He suggests that you find way to make flat facets like a diamond on your face.

I believe you are correct. I do this myself, and find that if I take it slow, and use short strokes in flat areas, I get a very good shave. Not always BBS, but still very comfortable, very close.

I think in truth (and this probably happens to many), I had begun over-stretching in pursuit of the perfect shave. If nothing else, I've kicked that habit. Still, I'd love to hear from others who have tried "anti-stretching."

Top Bottom