What's new

My Sheng, Your Sheng, Yixing

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
$66. What do I win?

I'm sure there are real differences in clay and craftsmanship but I'm equally sure that most of the sellers aren't qualified to comment on them.

If you are...
Inexperience with pots: its $66 difference (big) and which pot you simply like more
Experienced with pots: rip off or you found a steal (treasure)

can anyone report on using a green-clay pot for raw puerh?

I had a low-quality "luni" [green clay] pot from Yunnan Sourcing, about four years ago. It was so terrible that me, Iwii, and Vlad/Tealogic used to call it "the donkey".

Obviously that's just a sample size of one!

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Take, for example, the high-end versus low-end of the price range of yixing clay pots available at Yunnan Sourcing.

I purchased a low end pot from them. It looks great and pours great, but adds a strange bitter flavor so it remains on the shelf unused.

I am beginning to conclude that a proper yixing pot is going to be at least $70.

If I am going to dropping that kind of dough on a yixing pot, then I'm humbly accepting advice on choosing one remotely from the interwebs.

Begin thread/google scouring in three...two...one...

Hobbes and PK, I am grateful for your replies.

Cheers!
:yinyang:

I am beginning to conclude that a proper yixing pot is going to be at least $70.

If I am going to dropping that kind of dough on a yixing pot, then I'm humbly accepting advice on choosing one remotely from the interwebs.

Begin thread/google scouring in three...two...one...

Hobbes and PK, I am grateful for your replies.

Cheers!
:yinyang:

The Dragon's Egg yixing (110mL IIRC) that I bought from Steve (and he likely bought from YSL) has been brilliant. I don't remember the price exactly but I think it was around the $70 mark somewhere.

I bought a very nice shi piao made out of modern zhuni from Nada for £40 early this year. I've been using it for aged sheng and shu. It's already just starting to shine a little bit, feeling smoother on the outside.

I am more of a shape guy. I like yixings with short broad spouts so that I can decant rapidly and a large lid, allowing easy removal of spent tea leaves. I bought my daughter a fancy piggy yixing and it's next to impossible for me to fit my fat fingers in the dainty top to scoop out the last leaves.

The intangible, that you can't ascertain unless you try it out, is how well it will pour: how tight the seal of the top will be, the balance. My little work horse yixing, with it's epoxy repaired top, I can pour with one hand, hanging it from my finger as I do, and the top stays in place. Can't ask for more.

Have never had a yixing that imparted odors after thoroughly washed, but I haven't used that many. Quality pots from quality distributors like Steve or Scott and Gordon shouldn't retain residual odors.

Off to have my first cuppa...

Top Bottom