What's new

My cheapo BBS shave

While I am a fan of expensive creams and colognes, I sometimes get my best shaves with really inexpensive products.
Today I used Arko Sensitive cream and a Super-Max blade in my Gillette slim adjustable set to 3.
Great shave, relaxing, totally nick and irritation-free and very, very smooth.
The Arko cream provides abundant, rich lather. The Sensitive is not my favorite Arko scent (the Moist is), but the lather is soothing and slick.
Great shave, pleasant experience and very inexpensive to boot!
What are your positive experiences with inexpensive creams and blades?

I get a great result using something like Ingrams or Erasmic creams. Dirt cheap if you can find them too. Also, Old Spice Aftershave is very satisfying and easy to wear.

I honestly can't tell any difference between the value creams I have tried (Florena, Arko, Proraso, Palmolive, Musgo Real) and the premium ones I have tried (Trumpers and Taylors). I put a few drops of glycerin in the bowl when I'm using the workingman's creams and lather up my brush with a little shaving soap before starting whipping the creams (Mantic's Superlather technique) they have all worked super for me.

Now that I have a big stock of value creams with more on the way, I won't be buying any more of the 3 T's. Of course, YMMV, and I'm not being critical of those that buy those creams. Luxury items are always in the eye of the beholder.

I really enjoy using Florena shaving cream followed by a splash of Aqua Velva Classic. These are very inexpensive products, but I find that they work just as well as the big dollar ones.
Cheers, DJ.

M

modern man

I honestly can't tell any difference between the value creams I have tried (Florena, Arko, Proraso, Palmolive, Musgo Real) and the premium ones I have tried (Trumpers and Taylors). I put a few drops of glycerin in the bowl when I'm using the workingman's creams and lather up my brush with a little shaving soap before starting whipping the creams (Mantic's Superlather technique) they have all worked super for me.

Now that I have a big stock of value creams with more on the way, I won't be buying any more of the 3 T's. Of course, YMMV, and I'm not being critical of those that buy those creams. Luxury items are always in the eye of the beholder.

I take it the German creams you got hooked up with worked nicley :cool:

Guess i will add them to the SCAD list

I take it the German creams you got hooked up with worked nicley :cool:

Guess i will add them to the SCAD list

So far, so good Doc. I have used Wilkinson, Arko, and Florena and have been very happy with all so far. Next shave will be European Palmolive. I have some Speick coming from Germany now and am anxious to try it also.

I also really enjoy the inexpensive creams like Proraso, Body Shop, Nancy Boy etc - all work just as well or in some cases better than the 3-T's.

In terms of premium brands, one that often gets overlooked, but is a fantastic performer is Cyril R. Salter cream.

I can't beat the Proraso soap followed by Classic Blue Aqua Velva. My Taylor's creams perform well also, but I enjoy the scents moreso than the shaves.

I just can't see buying expensive stuff anymore other than Golddachs Spezial soap. Ever since I discovered Erasmic, Ingram, and other low-cost brands, I find that if you buy even any of the 3 T's, or DR Harris, it's like you're paying for a name.

Jeff

i'd say the KMF line has the best shave for the price, IMHO. but since i've started getting a taste of the T&H rose, i've got to have more rose scented creams and those are only in the expensive creams.. so looks like i'm going to have to make an order of taylor's rose.

Top Bottom