What's new

What's the most overrated shaving cream?

I'd love to hear your thoughts about which shaving cream gets trumped up the most but for you has been disapointing as compared with its hype.

I'll make the first nomination: Castle Forbes Lime.

I used it again this morning and although it's a good cream, I don't think it's that much better than any other cream in my rotation. The smell, to me, is fair (smells a bit like lime and a bit like shoe polish). It's very dense and takes forever to lather. Once lathered it provides a slick surface but its cushioning is so-so.

I just can't imagine why some people think this is the be-all, end-all of shaving creams, and I don't understand paying the price they want (the stuff I used came in a sample from Theh Shave Den).

OK. Your turn. :smile:

Almost any cream costing more than a few $ or € per 100 ml is by definition overrated. There simply is nothing in the cream to make it cost more. Only difficult to obtain fragrance and essential oils can raise the price by another $/€ (2 at most).

Almost any cream costing more than a few $ or € per 100 ml is by definition overrated. There simply is nothing in the cream to make it cost more. Only difficult to obtain fragrance and essential oils can raise the price by another $/€ (2 at most).

If it costs a lot and is excellent and you enjoy it, then "by definition" it's not overrated, just expensive.

I agree on the Castle Forbes. Anything like that that becomes the "flavor of the month" around here usually turns out in the end not to be as great as the initial hype. Pack/lemming mentality and all that.

I've been fortunate so far....I think all I've tried are super. That's TOBS (Mr T & Avocado), NB, Proraso, Musgo, and T&H Trafalgar. No need to pick a fav, I use them in rotation!

I don't completely agree. Penhaligon's Endymion, CF lavender, and Trumper's coconut spring to mind as examples of high priced creams that deliver outstanding quality shaves. I agree that the shave just in terms of removing whiskers is as good with KMF or Proraso, but it' almost as good with an electric razor as well.

Top Bottom