What's new

Yikes! Red faced. Help! Is it the Feathers?

First week was good, with the Merkur blade. Seemed to actually get better. Bumps and red spots disappeared. Was this the D/E blade v old two-blade? Then: Feather blade. Prep, absolutely the same, heating and softening up the steel wool as much as possible. Then, Cella soap with its almond barber shop feel. The Feather blade is sharp, but after five shaves it seems to have done its dash. Four shaves may have been enough. I don't understand how folks say they can get a full week from it! But the bumps have come back. It's hard to do WTG as my curly steel wool beard curls in all directions, though I only got one smallish nick. Maybe, a case of YMMV? Any clues? In any case, I am now switching to the Derby blade.

I've read several people say that feathers are super sharp but die fast.
(and about 4 days sounds like what I remember).

So, might just be the nature of the beast in that case.

YMMV but I replace a blade after 3 shaves max sometimes 2. Forget about what people claim because they may have beards that blow off in the wind compared to yours. Your'e bumps are back because you've over used the blade and therefore need more pressure to get the desired result. Sound's like your'e your'e experimenting so stick to 3 shaves per blade for the moment and then when you've found a few blades that suit, try them for a longer stretch.

Hmm, yes, could be! I hate shaving to be a drag, so I think the blade has had it. Have to experiment for a while yet before reaching any firm conclusions. But that's part of the fun of it!

three shaves max for me with feathers, everyones beard is different. It is still cheaper and better then a cartridge.:biggrin:

What DE you using? If you have a werewolf beard, you might want a Slant or a Futur on 3 or above, but this necessitates a pretty decent technique

It's the Merkur 12C. A very nice razor, and I like the open comb design. But I'm finding the blades make a real difference. Derbys seem smooth enough but I've still got a few bumps from overusing the Feathers. Absolutely right -- blades are a lot cheaper (and kinder) than cartridges or twin blades.

Nothing wrong with that razor. Feathers were a 3-4 shave blade for me. I like your attitude on blade experimention -- that's definitely the path to shaving nirvana! :thumbup:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Mmm, if derby are better I would recommend to store your Feathers for a while and get back to them a little bit later... If you can get some red pack personna or Astra that would be a good thing to try also.

Top Bottom