What's new

Mosquito repelllers

Mosquito season is here again and I was wondering what is your favorite repellent?

I just bought Thermacell to use outdoors, but I still need some personal protection for hiking etc. I was looking for Off Clip-On, but it is not for sale in Finland and not will be in this summer.

Have anyone tried Off Clip-On and how were the results? Cause of my huge list of allergies I don't like any current sprays or rollons.

It wouldn't work for hiking, but my wife and I experience decent results with the power pad lantern. Decent, that is, for sitting at a small table on the back patio -- it by no means covers the whole yard.

Avon's Skin So Soft spray may be a good alternative for you (no deet involved, for starters). I've no idea as to the availability of either product in Finland, I'm afraid.

The Thermocell works great. I use mine for deer hunting. I hunt in a swampy area and mosquitoes are tough when we don't have freezing weather. Thermocell keeps the bugs off and only has a slight odor when it is running, so it doesn't spook the deer with a loud scent. The refill packs for Thermocells are kind of expensive, but I have found a cheaper alternative for the fuel cartridges. Conair makes a cordless curling iron that uses the same cartridges. They come in a three pack and cost less than the Thermocell refills. I do occasionally have to buy the more expensive packs for the scent pads, but I use way more cartridges than I do scent pads.

Have you seen the commercials for the new Off product? Its a clip-on gizmo with a tiny fan that disperses some stuff that's supposed to keep 'em away. I look for products in a pump spray with as near 100% DEET that I can find. Cutter's is a good product.

Has anyone used the devices that mimmic a mosquito' enemy (dragonfly, I think, or something) and supposedly scares them off?

DEET is still far and away the most effective mosquito repellent. The US military has researched this for years, and nothing else comes close. The higher the concentration of DEET, the more effective it is. "Skin So soft" might make your skin nice and soft, but unless its recently changed to add large quantities of DEET, its bug repellent qualities are mostly an urban (or rural, in this case) legend.

For "area protection" the zappers, etc. may do some good - but the best technique is draining swamps, cutting bushes, and eliminating any nearby standing water. Not always practical, possible, or desirable.

"Skin So soft" might make your skin nice and soft, but unless its recently changed to add large quantities of DEET, its bug repellent qualities are mostly an urban (or rural, in this case) legend.

1) DEET works well for me, to be sure.
2) Skin So Soft also works for me. Not as well as DEET.
2) The OP mentioned his allergies to sprays, leading me to believe that he has tried the usual DEET-containing products, hence my suggestion.

Fire is the best mosquito repellent.

Though unless you fancy running about en flambe try any myriad of Off products. I like Off Backwoods which has a bit more DEET than most other varieties.

either 100% deet one drop on your boots and a drop on your hat or a treated cow ear tag in your boot laces.

Only repellent my skin can take is Hansaplast sensitive w/ aloe vera. Works very well and doesn't burn nor stink of chemicals.

Top Bottom