What's new

How long does a straight razor shave take?

How much longer does it really take to use a straight razor vs a DE?
For me, I cannot stretch my skin at all when using a DE or a forest of ingrowns will result. In addition, I have a very sharp jawline, so if I want a decent shave around the jaw line, it takes some serious time and risk of razor burn.

The ability to stretch the skin so that you don't even have to worry about the jawline seems like it could actually save me some time. Can you just strop the razor the night before so you don't even have to worry about that in the morning?

Shaving with a staight takes a long time the first few months. It'll speed up with added experience, but after about 6 months mine still take alot of time. Results are good and I like it though.

Last edited:
Depends on your experience. Frankly, I don't care about the time involved.

I don't like to rush my shaves so I shave in the evening. Hot towel and the whole nine yards. It might take a total of thirty minutes for a three pass shave from start to finish. A three pass DE shave will take less than half that time, but I am unwilling to compromise. Shave time is my time and I'm damn well going to enjoy myself as contrasted to just lopping off whiskers.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
When I used a shavette, it was taking be 15 mins per pass. I usually did one as I was usually cutting myself by accident. I think with a real straight, it would around the same time. Like a DE, with experience I would gain speed. The above times seems reasonnable.

I agree with all the other comments.

speed develops with technique, one thing to add (at least in my case) is no matter how quicker you shave with a DE, you'll get a closer and longer lasting shave with a straight.

In my case my Dovo Special 5/8 is my wife, and my DE's are the misstresses...

I just love the feeling of shaving with a straight, the honing, stroping, and sharp testing makes it a whole different experience.

I started using DE's because the time it took me to shave with a straight, but I have to say; even though I like shaving with a DE, I have to do it at least 3 times a week with my straight.

Yes, you can save time by stropping the evening before. I often do this. (I also do a few passes in the morning, just to ensure the edge is fresh. Probably not necessary, but it can't hurt.)

I shave right after my shower. Three passes takes less than 15 minutes, not much longer than a DE.

Yes, you can save time by stropping the evening before. I often do this. (I also do a few passes in the morning, just to ensure the edge is fresh. Probably not necessary, but it can't hurt.)

I shave right after my shower. Three passes takes less than 15 minutes, not much longer than a DE.

Two passes, 15-20 minutes.
I strop before I shower, then I lather up, do a couple more passes on the strop, then have at it.
DE I can get done in about 5-10, and it is a DFS, but not as enjoyable.

+1 It takes as long as you want.:biggrin:
Depends on your experience. Frankly, I don't care about the time involved.

I don't like to rush my shaves so I shave in the evening. Hot towel and the whole nine yards. It might take a total of thirty minutes for a three pass shave from start to finish. A three pass DE shave will take less than half that time, but I am unwilling to compromise. Shave time is my time and I'm damn well going to enjoy myself as contrasted to just lopping off whiskers.

Last night was my first straight shave, with tonights to follow in just a little while.

It took me about 25-30 minutes, but I was taking my sweet time. Something I strongly recommend, the whole reason you are using a straight to begin with is because you want to enjoy the experience. If time is of the essence and you don't enjoy the experience I would stick with the DE.

Rushing things when you have a few inches of razor sharp steet against your neck seems foolish to me.

Well said!:wink:
Last night was my first straight shave, with tonights to follow in just a little while.

It took me about 25-30 minutes, but I was taking my sweet time. Something I strongly recommend, the whole reason you are using a straight to begin with is because you want to enjoy the experience. If time is of the essence and you don't enjoy the experience I would stick with the DE.

Rushing things when you have a few inches of razor sharp steet against your neck seems foolish to me.

Thanks for the input everyone. Next question will of course have to be how many straight razor shavers out there are left with huge *** pirate scars on there cheeks from their razors.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thanks for the input everyone. Next question will of course have to be how many straight razor shavers out there are left with huge *** pirate scars on there cheeks from their razors.

I wouldn't worry too much about that...

Remember the great Shane Falco in the replacements:

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

I did a speed run a few months back just to see how fast I could go... one minute and fifty seconds. This included lathering and cleanup. This excluded stropping and a second pass.

Typicaly I do two passes right after my morning shower. I do no beard prep other than washing my face in the shower. I also don't include time for stropping because I strop while the shower water is warming up. My normal time for two passes is 5-7 minutes.

If I want to go crazy and do the hot towel prep and cold towel post shave along with a third pass, I will take up to 30 minutes. I do this about once a month on a non work day.

ive got pirate scars, but not from shaving

or piracy, for that matter

I'm getting able to get good results in about the same time I'd take using a DE...maybe a couple of mins more. My first straight "shave" took about an hour and was xly bad.

I can tell you from experience you dont want to get in a hurry. Straights can be very unforgiving, but give a shave like now other. Personally I love using my straight but unfortunatly have to use my DE sometimes because of time restrictions. Take your time and enjoy the shave. :cool:

I have more scars on my face from barbed wire than straight razors. Other than a closed one, the safest straight razor is the one on your face.

Top Bottom