What's new

My Journey towards a BBS dream: W/Photos. (Warning, not for the faint-hearted)

Thanks for posting the before and after photos. I am so happy for your improved skin condition!

Congratulations on the HUGE improvement!

:a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14::a14:

You must be so happy for that???... i know you are!! .....i would be :w00t::001_smile

I have only heard good things about the Anthony products besides that they are expensive.

I wish you the best of luck with your shaving, sir!! :001_cool:

Kind regards Lars Jensen

Just spotted this thread, turned up a bit late I know!

What an improvement, keep up the good work, and the updates.

Last edited:
I know this thread hasn't been updated in a while - I just came across it.

I hesitate to post this because some of you gentlemen may think I'm insane, but I think it might be worth a try for OP (and others with severe ingrowns).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-Hksg8B4cQ

I'd try the BC Aspirin powder on your non-shaving day. The Anthony Logistics stuff is $20+. The BC Aspirin powder is like $3.

I too suffer from ingrowns and razor bumps. Not as bad as you, but nonetheless. Ive grown to realize that presentable is better than close. I sometimes do two WTG only! This may sound weird, but it will save your face and look good.

I know this thread hasn't been updated in a while - I just came across it.

I hesitate to post this because some of you gentlemen may think I'm insane, but I think it might be worth a try for OP (and others with severe ingrowns).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-Hksg8B4cQ

I'd try the BC Aspirin powder on your non-shaving day. The Anthony Logistics stuff is $20+. The BC Aspirin powder is like $3.

"Don't be busting it out in public" LOL

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Wow! Excellent! Good to see that you are on the right track!!

1st of all, sorry if the photo is too big. I used photobucket and I don't see an option to reduce the size.

With that said, on with the saga......

Well, about a week or two ago I was cutting my hair and realized that I had my Weishi and Merkur Razors just sitting there in their cases. I thought, you know what, let's have another go.

I have been using the Weishi with Astra blades and most importantly i've been using the K.I.S.S method and taking into account that Y.M.M.V.

> Insert blade into razor, put Body Shop shaving cream container into a simple plastic bowl and then submerge all into hot water in the sink
> Hot shower
> conditioner on the facial hair
> Leave face wet when getting out
> Start lathering up, by this point the cream is softened a bit so it makes lathering easier for me.

Then I go ahead with my shave.

Keeping in mind the acronyms mentioned above, I decided to just focus on technique. Little pressure and short strokes WTG.
After the first attempt the shave was patchy. I had to use the Andis electric trimmer to finish it up. I also found that the actual shaving was not too effective being that my hair had grown quite a bit so there was a slight bit of resistance.

Second time around a couple days later, I tried shaving again but with much less hair on my face. I figured that it would be better to remain consistant while the hair is still low, thus hopefully eliminating the opportunity for the hairs to curl in.

In terms of tools used, I'm currently going through my sampler pack that I ordered from Fendrihan last year. The Astra blades are great but I never actually realized until I ran out and used a Dorco. Horrible shaving experience with the dorco's. It could be my techniqued, but I don't find that they slice the hair as effectively and swiftly as the Astra's did. As for the Razor, i'm sticking with the Weishi for now as I remember someone stating that it was a less aggressive style and good for beginners.

I must say though, I have been getting more and more comfortable with wetshaving this time around and the main thing that i've noticed is...........

......NO NICKS. Not even one.

I thought for sure i was going to see a nice pink mixture of the cream and blood again; but nothing. Brilliant. After about a week and a half, I even tried a light XTG pass. Wow, the results were much better as you may notice in the photo when comparing to the ones in the older posts.

I do 2 or 3 passes at the moment mainly because i'm trying my best not to apply too much pressure.
1st WTG
2nd WTG
3rd Light XTG in areas that require more attention. Mainly the outer mouth area just going into the cheaks. My grain runs vertically whilst just about everywhere else is Horizontal or Diagonal. For some reason though, it's as if a WTG pass will not even catch a hair in this particular area. I did try an ATG pass (light one) just to see if i could even catch the hairs because they lay so parralel to the skin. Even then there was friction almost sandpaper like. Dam them hairs are tough. LOL. However, one thing I haven't done since starting up again is to taut the skin a little. (does that make sense?) I've just been shaving whilst in a natural state.

All in all, the bumps are going down quite effectively and although I still have an eternity to go, I must say that i am happy with the results so far. I'm shaving about every other day because I find that when I leave it for more than a few days, this is when the hairs begin to do their nasty work.

It's a brief return, but if it wasn't for the support on here, I probably never would have tried again so thanks to all who have followed my journey and sorry for the greatly delayed follow up.

proxy.php

Luc

Staff member
Looks better!

The change won't happen overnight but don't give up (I don't think you will)! It's starting to come together!

For the size of the picture, I usually re-size them to around 700x700 or something like that or upload it to B&B, the server will re-size it for you!

Wow, definitely an improvement. I suffer from very minor ingrown problems - if I go ATG, I get minor irritation and a bump or two - nothing major that doesn't resolve itself within a couple of days.

I only shave WTG and XTG and ATG in only a few spots very judiciously. I found that I can't really use DE razors because I get irritation and minor bumps. I've been using old Schick Injectors almost exclusively and have not had a problem. You might try using an injector - I think the single blade that's stiffer and in a highly manueverable razor makes a difference for me.

Cheers for the responses.

In terms of blades that cut nicely, which ones would you select out of Feathers, Merkurs's and Derby's. Those are the samplers i have left for now.

Feathers if you want the sharpest...and even less pressure than with the Astras. I find the Feathers are extremely sharp and unforgiving. Any flaws in your technique will quickly be noted. The Astras are a nice compromise.

Luc

Staff member
Cheers for the responses.

In terms of blades that cut nicely, which ones would you select out of Feathers, Merkurs's and Derby's. Those are the samplers i have left for now.

Feathers are the sharpest
Merkur are average
Derby are ok but I don't think they are sharp enough for me.

What a great improvement, and kudos to your diligence. Most would have not stayed steadfast, and I know this forum...had some help for you along the way. Say's a lot about the people here.:thumbup1:The before and after pics are remarkable... congrat's on what looks to be a much more comfortable way of life.:thumbup:

HUGE improvement! Glad to see you are making your way towards winning the war. I have the same issues, but nowhere near as severe as your case and I've been trying forever to fight them. You have definitely made more progress than I have. Just picked up some of the BC Aspirin powder and plan to try out that regimen...I'll let you know if it helps any.

.....Just picked up some of the BC Aspirin powder and plan to try out that regimen...I'll let you know if it helps any.

I read about this somewhere and watched a youtube video with a girl demonstrating how to use it. Can't remember what the potential consequences were, but apparently you are supposed to use it sparingly.

I just checked my box and It turns out that I have another Astra sampler pack. Once those are done, I'll probably use the Feathers.

Excellent results and congratulations! In order of preference for your indicated blades, I like: Feather, Derby, Merkur.

My current absolute favorite are the Crystal blades, in fact I just got 60 of them yesterday! Smooth and great shave.

Top Bottom