What's new

Fountain pen

I would like to purchase a good cheap fountain pen. It would be used for taking notes. I have been looking at Lamy, thats my price range, the Safari and the other one in the same price range with aluminum barrel. My main question would a med. point be ok in this brand. If they lean to the fine side I would go with a med. point, one review I read stated that. any comments are appreciated. They are in the $27 range

I would like to purchase a good cheap fountain pen. It would be used for taking notes. I have been looking at Lamy, thats my price range, the Safari and the other one in the same price range with aluminum barrel. My main question would a med. point be ok in this brand. If they lean to the fine side I would go with a med. point, one review I read stated that. any comments are appreciated. They are in the $27 range

I personally don't care for many of the modern FPs... generally, I find them too heavy to write with for long periods of time. I don't particularly care for the styling or feel of the Lamy Safari.

My advice? Go vintage, they're definitely lighter & more comfortable, and usually much less expensive than modern ones.

As far as point (nib) size... the line that gets laid down is going to vary somewhat depending on pen, ink, paper, etc. There's no set definition for what a "med" point is, for ex. For myself, I've found fine points to be best among modern. Vintages seem to be mostly mediums.

You can't go wrong with a Lamy Safari or AL Star. They are reliable and hold up well. Their nibs don't write particularly fine for the size (as Japanese pens do.) Note that the Safari may or may not come with the converter included if you intend to fill from a bottle.

Depending on where you are, it's always a good idea to go to a brick & mortar where you can try before you buy. Or better yet, a pen show!

What would med be? In metric size? I realize the variables and I tend to write hard and fear a fine point. The brick and mortar trip is in the schedule.

What would med be? In metric size? I realize the variables and I tend to write hard and fear a fine point. The brick and mortar trip is in the schedule.

The only way to tell is by sampling them. If you have a Paradise Pen in your mall, test them out.

I'm a leftie and I prefer fountain pens. I think right handed people can be happier with a broader range of pens, but lefties with their pushy motioned writing really need to have the right spring, size, angled flow, and smoothness that many cheaper nibs cant accommodate.

The cheapest pen that filled the bill for me was a few parkers/watermans. For a good all-round pen I’d recommend the namiki. When I can I use the Montegrappa or DuPont. They all can get funky when you use a bad ink. The namiki you can carry in your pocket and not go through the hassle of screwing, capping, and usually it will not leak. I have had the hardest time keeping the namiki nib clean, but that’s just the way it is.

Its like everything else, you'll never be happy... I learned to type faster than I think and never looked back. If only more people would read right to left and backwards I'd be happy.

For about twice what you're willing to spend you can get a working Parker "51" which is 100 times the pen that you're looking at.

Doc.

Any comments on this one "DUKE GENTLEMAN'S BLACK FOUNTAIN PEN" on the bay for $25 looks nice, has features, and cheap.

I have some Dukes. They're decent for their extremely reasonable prices. If you have $50-$75 to spend you should consider a Pelikan m200, or as mentioned in above posts a Lamy or a Parker 51.

PS: Japanese pens run about 1/2 grade (or even a full grade?) finer than European or American grades so that a Medium is Fine or Medium-Fine.

Pelikans hands down are my favorites.

The less expensive models are definately above your price point but you should try them out anyway. The 150's have gold plated steel nibs and are great starter pens. I do warn you though, you will advance quickly to the gold nibs....

proxy.php

I have a Lamy Safari FP that I got long ago...I never did like writing with it much though.

Last edited:
A medium nib from Lamy is medium. The only medium nibs that run fine are Chinese pens.

Well, close. As BarryR also posted, Japanese nibs run a grade finer than American & European nibs. That is, a Japanese medium=fine; Japanese broad=medium, etc. Also, There are several very high quality Japanese manufacturers, notably Sailor, Pilot/Namiki and Platinum. (Chinese pens in general are not of the same caliber.)

For about twice what you're willing to spend you can get a working Parker "51" which is 100 times the pen that you're looking at.

Except that Whiteweed indicated that he prefers broader nibs.("If they lean to the fine side I would go with a med.") and Parker 51s, while a great recomendation, are most often available with nibs on the fine side. The P51, since it has a hooded nib, may also not appeal to everyone's aesthetic sense even though they are great, reliable pens.

Pelikans, old or new, are also a great recommendation. Heck, there are a lot of great pens out there.

Thanks guys, checked it all out and went with a couple of Hero to start with the 100 and 300 I think both will be good to learn and grow with. Just one other thing when I got into shaving DE I used "the blades are cheaper" do you think "the ink is cheaper" is going to work?

Austin I bought them from Todd, Thanks.

Thanks to all that posted and as the shaving hobby went I am sure I will have all pens that were suggested one day. Then I will find the New Improved equlevent and there will not be a reason to look any further:001_smile oh no noone said anything about IPAD, right I already had that.

I have 2 heroes and they are not bad for the price. You can also get the pilot 78g (also sold on isellpens). I think they're much better than the heroes and are only $12.

With inks I want to get every color, I think I have about 20 different inks right now. It's not saving me any money switching to FPs.

Top Bottom