What's new

Fountain pen

Do you 51 lovers have any preference between American and British versions? What about the early aeros vs. the Mark IIIs?

I like both the U.S. and British versions. In my experience (and this is totally subjective), the British nibs seem to be a bit "softer" writing than the U.S. nibs. I prefer the earlier aerometrics (1949- early 1960s) to the later ones. They just seem to me to be more solidly built.

Go with the Lamy, good construction for the price. But the real bonus is that the nibs are interchangeable and you dont have to send it off to Lamy to change the nib. you can do it yourself.

I have various FP, i like my Cross also, but my Lamy i use daily and have a selection of nibs from xtra fine to medium. I find the medium too broad for my small writing, and the xtra fine tears the paper. So i find the fine nib best.

If you like a fine, controlled line and a cheap price I would suggest a Chinese pen. Their fine is like extra fine anywhere else. I own Cross, Parkers, Auroras, and I have to tell you my go to pen is a $5.00 Wing Sung. It doesn't use as much ink and the control is amazing. My handwriting improves 100% when I use it. If you like the look of the wrapped nib (ala Parker 51), you can buy a Hero 100 for about $25.00.

I know they are out of your initial price range, but I cannot recommend Sailor pens highly enough (to everyone). They write amazingly, their nibs are unequaled, and their style is pure class. The 14k nib models are a steal at about $150. I put their quality above other big names like MontBlanc and Pelikan. Could be the only nice pen you need for the rest of your life.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

And no, im not a salesman :biggrin:

I just love them so much its painful to write or sketch with anything else :lol:

I know they are out of your initial price range, but I cannot recommend Sailor pens highly enough (to everyone). They write amazingly, their nibs are unequaled, and their style is pure class. The 14k nib models are a steal at about $150. I put their quality above other big names like MontBlanc and Pelikan. Could be the only nice pen you need for the rest of your life.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

And no, im not a salesman :biggrin:

I just love them so much its painful to write or sketch with anything else :lol:

No salesman? O yes you are! And I don't blame you. My next pen is going to be a Snow White 1911. My son is going over to Japan to study for a year. I am going to have him check the pricing while he is there. Are you a member of FPN?

No salesman? O yes you are! And I don't blame you. My next pen is going to be a Snow White 1911. My son is going over to Japan to study for a year. I am going to have him check the pricing while he is there. Are you a member of FPN?

No, not an fpn member, just a guy in architecture school who has picked up a writing utensil or two and appreciates this kind of quality.

This thread is very dangerous...

I already have a few Lamy Safaris and a Lamy 2000. Think I need a few samples in more classic styles...

Would it be OK to ask for some recommended dealers for Sailor pens and for the others mentioned (such as wing sung)?

Seems like a new AD is bubbling in the back of my mind...

This thread is very dangerous...

I already have a few Lamy Safaris and a Lamy 2000. Think I need a few samples in more classic styles...

Would it be OK to ask for some recommended dealers for Sailor pens and for the others mentioned (such as wing sung)?

Don't know about Wing Sung, but try Pam Braun at Oscar Braun Pens for Sailor (and lots of other brands). She has the best prices of anyone I know, but can usually only quote you those prices over the phone. Here's her web site link: http://www.oscarbraunpens.com/

Don't know about Wing Sung, but try Pam Braun at Oscar Braun Pens for Sailor (and lots of other brands). She has the best prices of anyone I know, but can usually only quote you those prices over the phone. Here's her web site link: http://www.oscarbraunpens.com/

Thank you very much!

Actually, Pam Braun seems to be very close to where I stay when I go to Detroit. I see a visit in the future.

Ignore the Wing Sung, unless you're specifically looking for a cheapo with unremarkable writing quality.

Note that fountain pens are a heck of a lot more expensive to collect than are razors, although I do recommend that you have a couple of good ones with which you enjoy writing!

Pam Braun is great. There are plenty of other good dealers and repair folks too. I just recommended a Pelikan to another member here - actually, he brought the brand up, and as I was thinking of all the different characteristics one might consider in a pen I could think of no other good pen to recommend starting with. They are available in a wide price range; they are reliable and hold plenty of ink.

Tom

Note that fountain pens are a heck of a lot more expensive to collect than are razors, although I do recommend that you have a couple of good ones with which you enjoy writing!

In all fairness, you only shave once a day. You may spend an entire portion of your day writing. Granted, a fountain pen doesn't have the "man-factor" a razor does, but...

Maybe I'm trying to justify that 148 I just purchased. No, that couldn't be it... :rolleyes:

Hey, sorry I was out for while but making some progress, getting my son ready for Philmont and he is at 28lbs dry and no food yet so he will be glad to see the top of Mt. Phillips. Just received my Parker 21 set, very good looking but missing eraser in pencil. I am getting ready to ink it up. Also picked up a ceap Hero just to get a start with. The Pelikan ink seems to have low viscosity ie wet. The printer in me has me thinking of an adjustment, but on good paper it is ok. Writing and shaving has become very difficult, old age and Mr. de Quervain's has caught up with me and the juice isn't working anymore. Anyway I am going to ink up the 21 and see what a vintage pen is like.

The 21 is sweet, it's no Sailor but for the way I write it does not make any difference. I do love the nibs of the finer pens. Thanks to all who helped with the thread.

Top Bottom