What's new

diluting with rubbing alcohol

I have sampled Bois 1920 Classic at Bergdorf and had become inclined to take home a bottle in the near future. Shortly after, I became aware of complaints about the Classic concerning poor longevity, or weak body, or both. I also become aware that these very complaints prompted the firm to create an Extreme version of the product targeted for solving these initial problems. As I have yet to sample either, it would seem sensible to buy, Extreme, which plays slightly better on user review pages and which costs exactly the same amount.

Now, I have heard that pure EO can converted to a crude but effect fragrance through dilution with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol). The idea strikes me that if I purchase Extreme and find it too strong, that I can dilute it with as described. To someone who has better knowledge of these subjects, does this plan have more the appearance of sensible thinking, or more that of impending disaster masterminded by a zealous halfwit?

Actually, you should use the so called perfumer's alcohol to dilute any fragrance.

Second, the fact that a fragrance is called "extreme" does not mean it is a more concentrated version of the original. In fact, it is much more common that the "extreme" version is a flanker of the original with other heavier notes. So, if you do not like the extreme version, diluting it may not solve your problems with it.

Firstly, please do not use rubbing alcohol to dilute a fragrance. You would likely utterly destroy the fragrance. IF you decide to attempt this, at the very least use proper alcohol for use in perfumes/fragrances.

Second, I've tried the scent in question several times and the longevity was just fine. Super long, no, but good, yes.

Lastly, as Isaias said, the Extreme version may not simply be a matter of the fragrance having additional perfume/oil added (it most likely is not) and more a matter of changing the notes and percentages to change how the perfume performs on the skin.

With a bottle as expensive (and wonderful) as something from Bois 1920, please don't play around like this :) If you are curious, save your money and check out places that sell decants, such as luckyscent or perfumedcourt, and order a sample and wear the scent for a day or two. Try the normal, or the Extreme, and see what works best for you.

I have a bottle of 1920 Classic and a decant of Extreme. They are entirely different fragrances... Both of them are awesome, but different indeed.

1920 Classic has plenty of staying power, especially for a fresh woody scent. I highly recommend it.

Extreme is actually a bit like Penhaligons Douro; and a bit darker and more aromatic in nature.

I wouldn't recommend trying to dilute fragrances with any type of alcohol, unless you actually get into perfumery, know what you're doing, and have the right kind of alcohol.

I usually just pour some witch hazel in my hand and then squirt a shot or two of the fragrance in to the witch hazel. Then use the witch hazel to spread the fragrance on me.

Top Bottom