What's new

The Ashes

Any cricket fans here??

there's a small matter of the ashes starting tonight. what are people's thoughts/predictions??

i don't see much hope for us to be honest. could be embarrassing. i'd love the boys to prove me wrong tho.

Any cricket fans here??

there's a small matter of the ashes starting tonight. what are people's thoughts/predictions??

i don't see much hope for us to be honest. could be embarrassing. i'd love the boys to prove me wrong tho.

Don't despair now!

Plenty of time for that later....

Seriously though, the seemingly endless run of injuries/illness has been dispiriting, and I sometimes despair of England's selection policy of trying to patch up weaknesses with average players rather than playing to the strengths of good ones. But Australia aren't the force they once were, and we've proved we can beat them even with Warne playing out of his skin.

It's going to be close, no doubt, but I'm confident there'll be more than honour to play for when I take my seat in the MCG on Boxing Day...

jammy b*stard!

i can only say that i'm jealous. but it will be all over by then anyway!! i cant see it happening i'm afraid.

i'm goin for 3-1 to the aussies. there's too much going against england, such as flintoff's fitness and captaincy, defensive spin bowlers, unproven players eg. mahmood, steve h not in form and jones behind the stumps!

think we are asking too much of the batsmen tho. hope they prove me wrong and i can re evaluate after tomorrow.

I saw where Russell Crowe was dogging you guys big time. Great stuff!

Kind of tired of Oz so it would be nice but tough to see it happening.

Best of luck! :thumbup1:

jammy b*stard!
flintoff's fitness and captaincy, defensive spin bowlers, unproven players eg. mahmood, steve h not in form and jones behind the stumps!

I think we're on the same page with the team selections--I'd have kept Strauss as captain to outthink Ponting and let Flintoff concentrate on doing what he does best. Much as I love him I don't understand what Giles is even doing in Austalia (KP can bowl defensive off-spin, FFS) and I'd happily trade Jones' runs for those of all the Aussies he drops.

On the other hand if the "right" Steve H turns up on the day we'll be fine and Mahmood at least has the potential to replace the killer instinct of the sadly missing Jones (S).

We'll know more by this time tomorrow, of course...

Cricket - the finest of all gentlemanly pursuits

Lads - I'm surprised you didn't update this thread with the results. For the record, Australia regained the Ashes 5-0. I managed to enjoy a superb and fairly evenly balanced day 2 of the 5th test in Sydney, before it all turned to custard for you on day 3. Adelaide was a historic great escape as you seemed destined for a draw (but it was hard to watch Flintoff cry as the match slipped away). Melbourne was a 3-day text book study in capitulation.

Fletcher should be hung out to dry. You needed to play Panesar much earlier. The Harmison ball did indeed portend bad things for the Poms. There were some great English sessions but you never really strung those sessions into days and the days into tests. There's none so hard on you though as Geoff Boycott over at Test Match Special - his podcasts involved a 10 minute rant - then he'd say - "don't think I enjoy putting in the boot". Good to see him back with special comments. Aggers was brilliant as usual.

Special mention to the Barmy Army - great bunch of lads who are welcome here any time - none of the anti-social behaviour the media tried to beat up. Pity they stopped the trumpeter for the first 2 tests.

But cheer up guys you just beat Australia in a one-day international - your last one of the tour - difficult for you to get into the final. Farewell English cricket team. We'll see you at the world cup in April and of course back for the real thing on your shores in 2009. I hope it's more like 2005 - now that was a series for the ages - electrifying stuff like when I was a lad - even if the result was wrong - it was good for the game. Be careful handing out those MBE's in future huh!

Cricket - the finest of all gentlemanly pursuits

Lads - I'm surprised you didn't update this thread with the results. For the record, Australia regained the Ashes 5-0. I managed to enjoy a superb and fairly evenly balanced day 2 of the 5th test in Sydney, before it all turned to custard for you on day 3. Adelaide was a historic great escape as you seemed destined for a draw (but it was hard to watch Flintoff cry as the match slipped away). Melbourne was a 3-day text book study in capitulation.

Fletcher should be hung out to dry. You needed to play Panesar much earlier. The Harmison ball did indeed portend bad things for the Poms. There were some great English sessions but you never really strung those sessions into days and the days into tests. There's none so hard on you though as Geoff Boycott over at Test Match Special - his podcasts involved a 10 minute rant - then he'd say - "don't think I enjoy putting in the boot". Good to see him back with special comments. Aggers was brilliant as usual.

Special mention to the Barmy Army - great bunch of lads who are welcome here any time - none of the anti-social behaviour the media tried to beat up. Pity they stopped the trumpeter for the first 2 tests.

But cheer up guys you just beat Australia in a one-day international - your last one of the tour - difficult for you to get into the final. Farewell English cricket team. We'll see you at the world cup in April and of course back for the real thing on your shores in 2009. I hope it's more like 2005 - now that was a series for the ages - electrifying stuff like when I was a lad - even if the result was wrong - it was good for the game. Be careful handing out those MBE's in future huh!

I'll go along with all he just said :biggrin:

John

PS Get rid of the old school tie!

I'll go along with all he just said :biggrin:

Hear hear!

I was in Australia for the last few days of the fifth test. Being an anglophile, it was a little upsetting to watch England get beaten so miserably, but at the same time, it was a riot to watch the Australians go hog wild. Needless to say, I learned a couple new disparaging terms for Brits from my Australian friends. :tongue_sm

I also got to go to a Twenty20 game in Perth. It was pretty enjoyable.

-Nick

Glad you enjoyed it Nick.
I only managed one game between England & NZ in Adelaide, the rest were a sell out here. It was all over before dark, but it was a great day and with less than a full ground of spectators made it a more enjoyable experience getting up close to England in the nets.

John

Top Bottom