What's new

About Mailing Colognes

So I have noticed that SO many people here at B&B are worried about shipping their colognes to Canada. I live in Ontario and have so far had 3 colognes arrive successfully from the US and am waiting on 2 more that I just ordered. There has been no hassle whatsoever. I feel like people are letting the border problems get a little bit out of control, because I order SO much from the US and never have troubles. All it takes on behalf of the US sender is an extra signature at the post office and on average 2 dollars extra for shipping, which the shipper would be willing to be pay if you asked/decided beforehand, I'm sure.

On to my question: I have noticed that when one orders cologne in the mail, in the summer, it tends to get pretty warm during transit. I recently received a bottle that was almost hot from sitting in that mail truck in the sun all day. Do you think this would have any impact upon the scent of the cologne, as I realize it should be stored in a cool, dark place? I suspect the cologne isn't stored in a heated area long enough during shipping to cause any trouble, but it's something that occurred to me and I thought I would seek the opinions of others. What do you all think?

Anthony, I don't see any problems with the cologne sitting in the truck. It will not affect the quality of the cologne. If it sat in a warehouse for months, that would be another problem. Don't worry about it.

Anthony, I don't see any problems with the cologne sitting in the truck. It will not affect the quality of the cologne. If it sat in a warehouse for months, that would be another problem. Don't worry about it.

+1. I certainly wouldn't make it a habit of leaving your cologne in the back of a delivery truck :laugh:, but a short exposure like that shouldn't effect it any extreme way.

What I'd worry about is previously opened bottles shipped by air in the cargo hold. Received some samples from a fellow Basenoter, and they had all leaked despite being sealed with teflon tape. Sent my cologne and aftershave back from Hawaii in check-on, and they leaked a bit. New, unopened bottles made it fine. And I tightened the lids on my stuff, but that didn't seem to help. Why the new made it, I do not know. Items through the mail system have all come through fine.

Just in case, I put a piece of tape over the nozzle of the atomizer and I also put my bottles inside a ziploc bag when I pack them.

With a sealed bottle, short term heat shouldn't affect colognes.

Shipping alcohol outside the CONUS is restriced to ground only unless the sender has a hazmat permit. I haven't found a carrier that will do this without. :frown:
Sue

Top Bottom