What's new

Whatcha riding, bicycle-wise?

Whoa -- a Merlin Ti? You OWE it to the bike to ride. (And, where in Texas? We're moving to Denton soon; if you're nearby...)

I'm in Arlington - 45 minutes or so from Denton. I've put lots of miles on the bike over the years but I just haven't been real motivated to ride (or run or jog or walk) for a few years now. The heat here in Texas doesn't help either. Most of my old riding buddies have given up on me as well. Just getting old and fat.

I just got into commuting with a bike last year, so I got myself a Jamis Commuter Hybrid. What sucks is this summer I can't use it for commuting, because my summer job is 40 miles away from my house, and twice as far using bike paths:angry:

It's bike season!

When does bike season end, BTW? :tongue:

Gunnar Cyclo-X Bitsa Bike--This is my beater/commuter/urban assault unit, built up with bitsa this, bitsa that. It gets changed around a lot--drops, flat bars, risers, mustache bars, STIs, topmounts, barcons, clipless, platforms...
Gunnar makes excellent bikes.

Since a lot of cyclists are reading this thread, I'll ask this here and see if I can get a response. I need a bike multi-tool. Which one should I get? Thanks!

I ride a Diamondback hybrid. I ride a lot of paved trails and a little on dirt/gravel. I can't recall the model, but it was their top model in 1998 when I bought it.

What do you think of the Diamondback brand? I just bought a hybrid which they call fitness bikes these days and I am not happy to say the least. It was only $400 but I could have got a better bike for $200 at the local Wal-Mart. I am not sure if it just my bad luck or the brand. I am thinking about dumping the bike back at the store and buying a Trek from a local dealer instead.

Gary Fisher Advanced; According to my Excel spreadsheet, since 2005, I now have 1921.5 miles. I'm lucky if I put on 4-5 miles a day. But as you can see, it adds up.

Here's a website you guys might want to check out:http://www.bikeforums.net/ You'll find a forum for every interest about cycling - and then some.

Last edited:
Well today brings on a whole new bike story. I returned my bike I purchased a few weeks ago and brought home a Trek 7.3 FX these are on sale for the month of June at any authorized Trek dealer. To the great price of $529 - $549 regularly about $650.

Well today brings on a whole new bike story. I returned my bike I purchased a few weeks ago and brought home a Trek 7.3 FX these are on sale for the month of June at any authorized Trek dealer. To the great price of $529 - $549 regularly about $650.

Sweet deal!

Actually...despite all the bikes in my garage, with all this rain in NY I have been riding mostly my trainer in the basement!

It builds great fitness and mental strength, but man is it agonizing!

Rollers are more fun.

I'm just sayin'...

I have a set...I don't like them. I use them for a few rides in January to work on skills, but you can't put out the kind of effort on a trainer as you can on a trainer.

I will say those guys who do the extreme roller rides are sick!
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiCdm5FsJpg[/YOUTUBE]

I've ridden this since I bought it new in the early 80's and despite the wear of time, it's still the best bike I've ever found. You just can't find geometry like this anymore unless you go custom...

- Randy

I've ridden this since I bought it new in the early 80's and despite the wear of time, it's still the best bike I've ever found. You just can't find geometry like this anymore unless you go custom...

- Randy

I love all quality old bikes but I don't think its the geometry that makes your Trek special. Even if it has the extended chain stays, which is rare even for touring bikes, it looks to be a pretty standard 73 deg/73 deg setup on your Trek. Trek used that tried and true geometry on many of their early road bikes.

While you are correct that there is no such thing as a "standard" geometry anymore, and many makers do different things with their geometry based up different frame materials and specific uses for the bike, as I said above your bikes standard geometry can still be found today.

I would suspect that what makes your bike special to you is that you have 25 years of comfort riding it and it was made to last forever. I think that if you went out looking for a bike today you would find something that you would love just as much, even if it had different geometry.

well i have 2 bikes that i use .. and a 3rd i am building ... plus there is my kids bike which used to be mine but he is using now since he trashed his other one ...

proxy.php

Kona Dew Plus ... for when i just want to get some miles in but not wear down my good tires...

proxy.php

proxy.php

my main MTB ... 29er ... custom built by me .. Soul Cycles frame ... Hydro brakes ... Reba fork ...

it started it's life as a single speed MTB .. but i needed a few gears at least for some places i ride ... was topping out to slow for my taste ... so it is now a 1*9 setup ...

and since it is no longer a SS .. i have this

proxy.php

proxy.php

which i am slowly peicing together to make me a perm SS 29er MTB...

proxy.php

and then the one my kid rides ...

Top Bottom