What's new

Whatcha riding, bicycle-wise?

proxy.php

and then the one my kid rides ...
Holy Setback Seatpost Batman! :eek:

I Like your Misfit--I've had a few 29ers in my day . . . .

I'm using my dad's old Puch tourer to get around, glides along quite nicely despite its age.

I have a nice DiamondBack sitting in the shed in desperate need of some tlc and a cash injection - not likely to happen anytime soon.

I love all quality old bikes but I don't think its the geometry that makes your Trek special. Even if it has the extended chain stays, which is rare even for touring bikes, it looks to be a pretty standard 73 deg/73 deg setup on your Trek. Trek used that tried and true geometry on many of their early road bikes.

While you are correct that there is no such thing as a "standard" geometry anymore, and many makers do different things with their geometry based up different frame materials and specific uses for the bike, as I said above your bikes standard geometry can still be found today.

I would suspect that what makes your bike special to you is that you have 25 years of comfort riding it and it was made to last forever. I think that if you went out looking for a bike today you would find something that you would love just as much, even if it had different geometry.

You may be right - I know how to build wheels from the ground up, but I don't know a great deal about geometry. Bike people keep telling me that they don't make a true touring frame anymore, so that's was my reference point. All I know for sure is that when I ride I'm more upright than when I ride a modern 'touring' bike, and for whatever reason I've never found a modern bike that gives the same feel as this one, especially when loaded.

Thanks for the info...

- Randy

1995 Cannondale M500 (utility bike)
proxy.php

1985 Trek 600 (pleasure/pain)
proxy.php

Both were ebaY purchases, and I'm pleased with being able to dedicate each one to specific/separate tasks. Sure, I prefer getting out on the Trek; but whether it's ten miles on the Cannondale, running errands and shlepping 20lbs of groceries home in my knapsack, or ten miles on the Trek (covering much the same routes, but at-speed), it's all good!

Last edited:
You may be right - I know how to build wheels from the ground up, but I don't know a great deal about geometry. Bike people keep telling me that they don't make a true touring frame anymore, so that's was my reference point. All I know for sure is that when I ride I'm more upright than when I ride a modern 'touring' bike, and for whatever reason I've never found a modern bike that gives the same feel as this one, especially when loaded.

Thanks for the info...

- Randy
Once upon a time, I sold a bunch of these Trek touring rigs. Lovely bikes, though it must be getting tough to service Helicomatic hubs! I recall they had pretty long chain stays, a fairly slack head tube, and a high bottom bracket for a touring rig. It's true that nothing from a major manufacturer comes close to duplicating this bike, but there are niche firms making steel touring and "sport-touring" frames that compare favorably.

Among the best equivalents you'll find in a contemporary bike is something from Rivendell, or maybe a Waterford Adventure Cycle. I think the Trek's riding posture could be duplicated, and the handling improved upon somewhat, without sacrificing ride comfort. Wouldn't be cheap, though, and you've got a really nice bike with a lot of saddle time...

Bontrager Ti Lite Mtn bike, hard tail. ca 1998

Douglas Precision Ti, road bike. Ultegra triple, ca 2006

Before those additions, road a Yokata, Yosemity with a Softride stem added later for offroad.
Schwinn Tempo, ca1988 .

Still have the old bikes, use the Schwinn in a trainer during winter, and use the Yokata for pulling a tandem, and neighborhood cruising.

Man that Fuji looks like a nice bike.

I bought a used Fuji while in medical school. It was a touring bike, black steel with gold inlay in the lugs. Looked great, unfortunately, ran into a parked car. My lip stitched up fine, but the frame was bent beyond repair. Hated to see that beauty go.

I bought a Trek 7.3FX on July 3. I'd been running but come down with shin splints that I couldn't shake, so I decided to try a bike. I haven't really ridden a bike since my Huffy in high school! I've done a couple 15 mile rides so far, and several shorter rides. It has been nice finishing up the ride exhausted rather than in pain.

But, I'm having some pain / numbness in my left hand in the section between the base of my thumb and the center crease of my palm. I'm wearing gel gloves and have tried adjusting the grips on the end. Thinking I've overdone it and am just going 6 mile rides now. Maybe I need new grips

Still want to get back to running too. I ran for 7 or 8 minutes after my ride tonight to wake my legs up.

Although I don't go hard core mountain biking, I like the durability of big off road bikes with shocks with tons of travel. I like hitting bumps and being the one who can keep pedaling on the rooted trail in the woods.

I have an Iron Horse with 6 inches of travel on the front fork and a rear adustable shock as well. Huge bad boy tires too.

When I moved into a more rural setting with many hills and rougher roads, I found a bike shop who took my GT ZRX cyclocross bike (I loved that ride) in trade for a NOS 2000 Cannondale F800 (yep, in 2006 they had it collecting dust in a back room!). Being used to the triple triangle frame, this CAAD 3 frame was a little weird at first, but it's a nice hill climber and it can take a beating over the potholes. I was never a Cannondale kinda guy, but I have to admit, I like this bike. It's a fast, light, hill climbing, machine. The frame fits me just right, where the old ZRX was just a hair too big, so this ride is more comfy, too. This is not the actual picture, obviously, mine's the Team Blue with Yellow.

It's bike season! Some cash came my way and I just got my bike back from the shop after some much needed work and upgrades. I had it decked out as a speedy, track-style thing, but use it as a commuter, so I finally gave up the last of my hipness and made it a commuter, with a rack, saddlebags, more ergonomic handlebars, etc (although, the grips are handmade in portland, so I still have retained SOME hipness...). Also, new pedals, brakepads, and fine-tuning that I put off for too long. I know there are some other bikers here, be it racers, commuters, or just plain bike-for-the-fun-of-iters. What are you riding?
View attachment 55139
View attachment 55140
View attachment 55143

Fixie or SS? :wink:

I'm currently riding a vintage Specialized Sirrus that I converted into a ss for commuting. Great bike.

Top Bottom