Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Whatcha riding, bicycle-wise?

The little farming town of Naperville, IL

Just a big box wonder.
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][B][I]Psychiatric Secrets Revealed With Dr. Mike[/I][/B] FREE iTunes Podcast dedicated to mental health and living better.[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by soapbox View Post
    Whoa -- a Merlin Ti? You OWE it to the bike to ride. (And, where in Texas? We're moving to Denton soon; if you're nearby...)
    I'm in Arlington - 45 minutes or so from Denton. I've put lots of miles on the bike over the years but I just haven't been real motivated to ride (or run or jog or walk) for a few years now. The heat here in Texas doesn't help either. Most of my old riding buddies have given up on me as well. Just getting old and fat.
    Steve

Id imperfectum manet dum confectum erit

"They bought me a box of tin soldiers,/I threw all the Generals away,/I smashed up the Sergeants and Majors,/Now I play with my Privates all day." Archibald Leach

I just got into commuting with a bike last year, so I got myself a Jamis Commuter Hybrid. What sucks is this summer I can't use it for commuting, because my summer job is 40 miles away from my house, and twice as far using bike paths

Quote Originally Posted by wundergussy View Post
    It's bike season!

When does bike season end, BTW?
    The cake is a lie

-MATT

Quote Originally Posted by Holton181 View Post
    When does bike season end, BTW?
    When the rider is not willing to put up with the weather.
    'Earl' peaked in popularity in 1940.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterion View Post

Gunnar Cyclo-X Bitsa Bike--This is my beater/commuter/urban assault unit, built up with bitsa this, bitsa that. It gets changed around a lot--drops, flat bars, risers, mustache bars, STIs, topmounts, barcons, clipless, platforms...
    Gunnar makes excellent bikes.
    “The things you used to own, now they own you.”

Question

Since a lot of cyclists are reading this thread, I'll ask this here and see if I can get a response. I need a bike multi-tool. Which one should I get? Thanks!
    Tim

HELP SUPPORT B&B

And malt does more than Milton can
    To justify God's ways to man.
    -A.E. Housman

Have a question, PM a mod. That's why we're here!

Images

Anybody want a pair of Rolf Prima Vigor road wheels, they have less than 25 miles on them?
    Ian
    I support the right to arm bears!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by blackdog1101 View Post
    I ride a Diamondback hybrid. I ride a lot of paved trails and a little on dirt/gravel. I can't recall the model, but it was their top model in 1998 when I bought it.
    What do you think of the Diamondback brand? I just bought a hybrid which they call fitness bikes these days and I am not happy to say the least. It was only $400 but I could have got a better bike for $200 at the local Wal-Mart. I am not sure if it just my bad luck or the brand. I am thinking about dumping the bike back at the store and buying a Trek from a local dealer instead.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyBoston View Post
    I need a bike multi-tool. Which one should I get? Thanks!
    For off-road you need the Topeak Alien. For road cycling (where you are less likely to need to do quite such extreme repairs) try the Hexus. I'm not a huge fan of some of Topeak's other products, but their multi-tools are the best for bikes.

Gary Fisher Advanced; According to my Excel spreadsheet, since 2005, I now have 1921.5 miles. I'm lucky if I put on 4-5 miles a day. But as you can see, it adds up.

Here's a website you guys might want to check out:http://www.bikeforums.net/ You'll find a forum for every interest about cycling - and then some.
    Last edited by Duggo; 06-17-2009 at 05:51 PM. Reason: added a website
    - Duggo / Avatar photo credit: "Wssst" from Flickr.

Images

Well today brings on a whole new bike story. I returned my bike I purchased a few weeks ago and brought home a Trek 7.3 FX these are on sale for the month of June at any authorized Trek dealer. To the great price of $529 - $549 regularly about $650.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy View Post
    Well today brings on a whole new bike story. I returned my bike I purchased a few weeks ago and brought home a Trek 7.3 FX these are on sale for the month of June at any authorized Trek dealer. To the great price of $529 - $549 regularly about $650.
    Sweet deal!
    I guess I just like guitars more than razors...

Ibex Alpine 550

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Stacks/Series_Alpine.html

I do a lot of mountain biking.

Actually...despite all the bikes in my garage, with all this rain in NY I have been riding mostly my trainer in the basement!

It builds great fitness and mental strength, but man is it agonizing!
    Do I really look like a guy with a plan?

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodirt View Post
    ...with all this rain in NY I have been riding mostly my trainer in the basement!...
    Rollers are more fun.

I'm just sayin'...

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterion View Post
    Rollers are more fun.

I'm just sayin'...
    I have a set...I don't like them. I use them for a few rides in January to work on skills, but you can't put out the kind of effort on a trainer as you can on a trainer.

I will say those guys who do the extreme roller rides are sick!
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiCdm5FsJpg[/YOUTUBE]

Default 1982 Trek 620 Touring

I've ridden this since I bought it new in the early 80's and despite the wear of time, it's still the best bike I've ever found. You just can't find geometry like this anymore unless you go custom...

- Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trek620.jpg  
    Yes, that is a bird on my head...

Default bicycle

Here's the bike I ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tc100-m-blu-08.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I've ridden this since I bought it new in the early 80's and despite the wear of time, it's still the best bike I've ever found. You just can't find geometry like this anymore unless you go custom...

- Randy
    I love all quality old bikes but I don't think its the geometry that makes your Trek special. Even if it has the extended chain stays, which is rare even for touring bikes, it looks to be a pretty standard 73 deg/73 deg setup on your Trek. Trek used that tried and true geometry on many of their early road bikes.

While you are correct that there is no such thing as a "standard" geometry anymore, and many makers do different things with their geometry based up different frame materials and specific uses for the bike, as I said above your bikes standard geometry can still be found today.

I would suspect that what makes your bike special to you is that you have 25 years of comfort riding it and it was made to last forever. I think that if you went out looking for a bike today you would find something that you would love just as much, even if it had different geometry.

well i have 2 bikes that i use .. and a 3rd i am building ... plus there is my kids bike which used to be mine but he is using now since he trashed his other one ...

Kona Dew Plus ... for when i just want to get some miles in but not wear down my good tires...

my main MTB ... 29er ... custom built by me .. Soul Cycles frame ... Hydro brakes ... Reba fork ...

it started it's life as a single speed MTB .. but i needed a few gears at least for some places i ride ... was topping out to slow for my taste ... so it is now a 1*9 setup ...

and since it is no longer a SS .. i have this

which i am slowly peicing together to make me a perm SS 29er MTB...

and then the one my kid rides ...