What's new

Whatcha riding, bicycle-wise?

Probably this one, the blue Schwinn moab frame custom built into SS/MTB with lots of vintage Ti parts. Its a fun bike that has seen many different guises over the years!

proxy.php

-Xander

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Pulled out the old Basso today, always good for a Sunday ride. Columbus tubes, Dura-Ace, tubulars.

Nice wooded country road, climbed up to 3000 feet elev.

proxy.php

Advice Wanted For Custom Built

Low back pain and neck pain are keeping me from enjoying longer road rides. I currently ride a Titanium frame with a racing geometry. I believe it is time to have another style frame. Scoliosis and old age are catching up to me. Anyone have experience with custom built frames. Don't really care about frame material, looking for comfort.

Low back pain and neck pain are keeping me from enjoying longer road rides. I currently ride a Titanium frame with a racing geometry. I believe it is time to have another style frame. Scoliosis and old age are catching up to me. Anyone have experience with custom built frames. Don't really care about frame material, looking for comfort.

I moved to a Specialized Roubaix, which has relaxed geometry that is a little more upright. Many of the large manufacturers offer comfort geometry lines now. Core strength is also really important. I fixed most of my back issues by strengthening my core and working on flexibility.

Before buying a new bike or a new custom bike (unless you want a new bike), have you had yourself professionally fitted? Recently? Seat position/height, stem length and rise, and handlebar width and shape are all important as is your general condition and flexibility. I can't recommend this enough. It is money well spent. Also don't go to the guy at the bike shop selling bikes. I go to the guy that the local race teams use - they are putting the big miles in and many of them have the same issues as us as we age.

View attachment 338295

Last edited:

A lot of people switch to recumbent bikes or trikes and experience relief, including me. Lots of information here:http://www.bentrideronline.com/index.php

I moved to a Specialized Roubaix, which has relaxed geometry that is a little more upright. Many of the large manufacturers offer comfort geometry lines now. Core strength is also really important. I fixed most of my back issues by strengthening my core and working on flexibility.

Before buying a new bike or a new custom bike (unless you want a new bike), have you had yourself professionally fitted? Recently? Seat position/height, stem length and rise, and handlebar width and shape are all important as is your general condition and flexibility. I can't recommend this enough. It is money well spent. Also don't go to the guy at the bike shop selling bikes. I go to the guy that the local race teams use - they are putting the big miles in and many of them have the same issues as us as we age.

View attachment 338295

You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned core strength. I spend way to little time on that. I have found simple yoga poses (sun salutations,etc) really help my back more than anything. Also, even though riding my bike hurts my back, the more I ride the less my back hurts. Have a friend who was fitted for a Specialized like yours. Sweet ride.

My current bike was ordered online from Colorado Cycles about 5 years ago. I tried to measure myself, and use an older bike as reference, but I am afraid as I age, I no longer fit my Douglas. No I have not been professionally fitted, but I will before I get a new bike.

Will have to talk to my friend about Specialized. Starting to drool a little bit.

Thanks guys

A beautiful 1998 LeMond Zurich, with a steel frame and carbon fork. Slightly modified (I can't afford a new Ultegra group but my STI barfed, so I got a cheaper set of STI shifters/levers). With ancient, lightweight Sampson Stratics Ti pedals.

I have a Lemond Buenos Aires. And a Cannondale SV2000. And a Bridgestome MB-3. And... a BikeE (I bought after back surgery... when the doc said I couldn't ride).

Built a singlespeed city ride with my retired Zaskar LE frame and some parts I had scattered around in various boxes. Fast, light, simple and ultra-low maintenance. I recently upgraded the ahead stem to a fat Kore stem, as you can see in the second pictur. Btw, the frame is at least twelve years old and I polished it with Nevr Dull, thus the shiny alloy. At some point I'll put in a rigid fork since I don't see the need for a suspension in the city, should make the bike it a bit lighter still.

View attachment 266461View attachment 266462

Sweet bike... Zaskars were always one of my favorite bikes... fast and built like a tank.

About two years ago I decided to start riding a bike. Now being a big boy at the time 6'4" 260 it probably was not the best idea to buy a Walmart Schwinn. But I enjoyed it well enough. It always seemed cramped and awkward like wearing shoes that are too small. I picked up a nice contract on my side business and it was enough to buy myself a toy. I rode a lot of bikes from fragile racers to BMX and crusers. None really fit the bill then I rode "the bike" and chose a Townie Electra "tall". Its a 21 speed cruzzer with Shimano shift and brakes. Talk about a great bike. I can take it slow and easy and when i need to crank I can stand on it and go. It will climb a grade if I need to and the left plenty of cable for apes lol.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410480636.564451.jpg

I just bought a Schwinn S-29 mountain bike a few days ago. I have gotten a few very short rides in. Man do I need to get back in shape. I'll post some picks soon.

I'm waiting for things to cool down out here in Phoenix so i can get back on an old Quintana Roo Zero G that i found on craigslist earlier this year. It's one of the first that the company made, but it still rides like a charm!

My daily rider is my beloved Trek Earl single speed w/ a flip flop hub (fixed gear).

$468502_10150862167683000_1357934665_o.jpg

It's great for urban riding with a heavy frame and a sleek, basic look. Best of all...? Built in bottle opener... great for summer concerts in the park.

$383552_10150868487403000_2009398943_n.jpg

Top Bottom