What's new

New Damascus 300 layer Str8 by Boker

Maybe it's already been discussed here, and if so, please forgive me. I was browsing and clicked on a link. It seems that Boker has designed a straight razor that is able to avoid the edge chipping problems common to damascus. I don't understand it, so I'm not going to try to describe what I thought it said. It's a limited run, evidently, and the website I saw is selling them for $799, discounted from a suggested retail cost of $1499. I didn't order one.

I'm not a collector, but I can't imagine paying that much for a straight razor. I have a couple custom knives I bought from Murray Carter that are damascus that I like a lot. They're beautiful, and great cutters....but I can't say that damascus steel is functionally better.

...the website I saw is selling them for $799, discounted from a suggested retail cost of $1499.

That may be suggested but I've never seen them listed for that high a price. I think when they first came out knifecenter listed them for $850 or some such. So that isn't really much of a sale.

I'm not a collector, but I can't imagine paying that much for a straight razor. I have a couple custom knives I bought from Murray Carter that are damascus that I like a lot. They're beautiful, and great cutters....but I can't say that damascus steel is functionally better.

You mean a production razor? Because customs can easily reach that high.

So, the issue is who is making these razors. You just don't start making razors after umteen years and have the skill and expertise to do it right especially damascus. Boker is really a shell of their former selves. Many of their knives are Asian sourced and they just put their name on them. I don't think I would be spending all that money on an unknown when you could get a quality custom for that price.

Top Bottom