What's new

EJ Best vs. Super, opinions needed

Hi everybody,

I’m in the market for a good, solid shaving brush. I’m not afraid to pay for it, but I’d rather not go too crazy. After much independent research and reading the forums, my decision was ultimately influenced by Joel’s post, “The difference between Pure, Best and Silvertip Badger.....”

Here is my issue:

I’ve found a Best Badger brush like the one in Joel’s post (Edwin Jagger) for $37.30 Canadian, including S&H.

However, I’ve also found a handsome Edwin Jagger Super Badger for $60.72 Canadian including S&H. The difference is $23.42 Canadian.

My questions:

1) Should I go for the extra $23.42 and get the Super Badger brush, or stick to the less expensive model? I have sensitive skin and am unsure how much that should influence my decision.

2) I get the impression that the main reason people recommend the EJ Best brush is for its quality-to-price ratio. For Super Badger, is there any other company that might be higher recommended or will EJ's quality measure up to the cost?

Your thoughts and opinions are much appreciated!

I have several EJ Super brushes and the super brushes are also
fantastic values as well! Especially if you can pick one up on
sale. You won't regret getting the super!

I own a EJ BBB and it was a bit scratchy at first but after a few weeks it's softened up a lot. If you like a soft soft brush I would go with the Super or a Silvertip. It's more of a personal preference, the final choice is up to you.

I use the C&E branded BBB which is the same brush as the EJ. I'm very happy with the brush & being I use soaps 99.9999901% of the time the brush is sturdy enough to create a great lather yet still be markedly softer than say for instance my AOS pure badger. I often look at higher grade badger hair but worry it might be too soft, but then again the Rooney coral I just saw is beautiful........

Am really interested in this post myself... I have the Edwin Jagger Best Badger Brush and do like it however I have just started trying face lathering out and I feel it is a bit 'scratchy' (if that is the right word). I am considering upgrading to the super badger brush (also Edwin Jagger) but would like some input from those who use it...

Has anyone tried both, and if so, is there a noticiable difference between the two?? Is the super better for face lathering but does it also still perform well on soaps?

Thanks

(sorry Nightlad for highjacking your thread but hopefully the info will help both of us!!)

I got an EJ Best Badger when I started out. It was great until it started shedding hairs, but I got a refund and it was replaced with a Super Badger as a gesture of goodwill. I am a soap guy and face-latherer to boot, so glad I came upon this thread as I have experienced both brushes. When I got the BB I had nothing to compare it to but felt it did a good job. Moving to the Super was nice, as I naturally thought I had got something better. But, now I am armed with a bit more experience, I can see that the Super may not be the best brush for me. It is softer than the 'best' so probably isn't so well suited to my needs as the slightly rougher 'best badger'. I am tempted to change it but will wait till I have more cash as I cannot justify forking out for another brush just yet. If I did change it would be to a BB with a chubbier handle I expect...

Anyway, to summarise, if you face lather using soap I would go for a best badger over the super and put the difference towards another soap! :biggrin1:

PS DEUser - I am not stalking you by the way!! :laugh:

No worries, Deuser, your post brought up some good points that I was interested in knowing myself. Thank you.

And thank you to everyone! Your thoughtful opinions have helped me make a decision. Because I do have rather sensitive skin I've decided to spend the little bit extra and get the Super Badger. I'm confident that it will suit me, as I am a cream shaver. I use another product for exfoliating my face which is very gentle and does the job admirably, so I don't necessarily need a brush to do that.

If/when I do decide to see what all the Silvertip ‘fuss’ is about, I will most likely go for a Shavemac. Of all the (moderately affordable) Silvertip brushes, I’ve read many positive reviews of it. Plus (so far) I like the styles they offer the most.

For those interested, Edwin Jagger is currently having a sale on one of their Medium Best Badger brushes. It is $30US ($33.26US including S&H!), because the handle material has been discontinued from their line.
Overall height 99mm (3.9 inches)
Handle height 46mm (1.8 inches)
Handle diameter 33mm (1.3 inches)
Knot size 21mm
Check it out by clicking here. Don’t forget to click the US Currency icon on the bottom of the left menu.

I hope my ‘find’ can help some members while supplies last!

Thanks again. I’ll write a review when my Super Badger arrives and I’ve broken it in.

Both brushes offer a great value. I normally would go for the best price, but for this brush I feel the extra money is worth it. You are getting a slightly better grade of hair, that is still a bit scrubby but not scratchy. My super badger brush whips up rich lather on soaps as well as creams. My brush is the EJ meduim, 21mm by the way.

Top Bottom