What's new

Archers Unite (In Your Advice/Abuse/Whatever)

Looking to upgrade my longbow (55 lb) to something with a little more oomph.

Any archers here have a preference for a particular longbow (or maybe even a Mongol bow) in about a 100 lb range?

- John

1988 state champ. 3rd Flight. Mens bowhunter freestyle class. Texas Field Archery Association.

No traditional archery for me. Compound w 60% let off, site pins, release, overdraw, 250 fps.

Given the superior equipment available why do you shoot a more traditional bow?

Been a long time, but I used to hunt with a Mathews Z-Max

Probably going to get back in the woods this year, so I'm just starting to research again. So many choices :eek:

It's good to find some trad archers on B&B! For starters, what type of longbow are you using? Moving from a 55lb to a 100lb longbow is going to make you significantly overbowed. Have you looked into the more niche longbow manufacturers? Names like Dwyer, Dryad, Massie, Ron LaClair, and a dozen others hand build remarkable longbows. I would recommend you check out an R/D (reflex/deflex) design to eliminate some of the stereotypical longbow handshock as well as pick up a few fps.

Trad Gang is an incredible resource for the traditional archer, whether you hunt, compete, build bows, or are looking for advice! Good luck!

It's good to find some trad archers on B&B! For starters, what type of longbow are you using? Moving from a 55lb to a 100lb longbow is going to make you significantly overbowed. Have you looked into the more niche longbow manufacturers? Names like Dwyer, Dryad, Massie, Ron LaClair, and a dozen others hand build remarkable longbows. I would recommend you check out an R/D (reflex/deflex) design to eliminate some of the stereotypical longbow handshock as well as pick up a few fps.

Trad Gang is an incredible resource for the traditional archer, whether you hunt, compete, build bows, or are looking for advice! Good luck!

Great questions and information. Thanks :smile:

I'm currently using a Fred Bear longbow and I like it well enough but I got it while recovering from a shoulder problem. Now (nice to be so hard to please, eh) it is too easy to be all that interesting.

Thank you for the great tips.

- John

:biggrin:

Another option, especially if you're looking to be able to drastically change your draw weight would be a 3pc. recurve. You can swap out the limbs as you outgrow them while not having to make radical adjustments to a new bow.

Not to completely hijack the thread, but I would suggest that anyone who loves archery read a little bit about Paul Schafer, possibly the most remarkable man to ever draw a bow. If the stories here or the Trad Gang's Articles Forum don't make the hair on the back of your neck stand up or spine tingle, Brother, you haven't got a pulse.

That's like asking him why he doesn't use a Fusion to shave!:biggrin:

Gareth

Knew that one was coming:biggrin1:. Shaving is one thing, sending an arrow downrange is quite another. Traditional bows cannot hope to match the speed and accuracy of modern equipment. I guess it depends on an individuals needs and desires.:rolleyes:

In the days of yore when armies had a troops of archers sending 100's of shafts raining down on the opposition a long bow was a very suitable tool.

In today's highly competitive world of 3D shoots and indoor 20 yard speed and accuracy are vital and traditional equipment is simply outpaced and won't be seen.

Here is an example. I setup a bow for 20 yard indoor competitive shooting.
45# pull Browning compound
2" Overdraw
TH supreme arrow rest
4' carbon fiber stablizer with mercury shock can
Taxonics micrometer adjustable sight system with 4x power bullseye
Match grade release
XXXX75 match grade arrows
With this setup a skilled archer can hit a circle the size of a quarter almost every time. :eek:

With a modern hunting setup an arrow can be sent downrange with almost the same accuracy but using a much heavier hunting arrow traveling at speeds approaching 250-300 feet per second. The speed is essential to reduce the ballistic curve of the arrow. This flatter flight path allows more accurate arrow placement at unknown yardage. :thumbup:

So the question again, what is the reason for choosing more traditional archery equipment? What is the planned use?

I don't have any experience as an archer but the bowmaker to the Emperor of Japan is giving a demo of bowmaking at a local Japanese festival today - should be interesting.

Knew that one was coming:biggrin1:. Shaving is one thing, sending an arrow downrange is quite another. Traditional bows cannot hope to match the speed and accuracy of modern equipment. I guess it depends on an individuals needs and desires.:rolleyes:

In the days of yore when armies had a troops of archers sending 100's of shafts raining down on the opposition a long bow was a very suitable tool.

In today's highly competitive world of 3D shoots and indoor 20 yard speed and accuracy are vital and traditional equipment is simply outpaced and won't be seen.

2" Overdraw
TH supreme arrow rest
Match grade release
With this setup a skilled archer can hit a circle the size of a quarter almost every time. :eek:

With a modern hunting setup an arrow can be sent downrange with almost the same accuracy but using a much heavier hunting arrow traveling at speeds approaching 250-300 feet per second. The speed is essential to reduce the ballistic curve of the arrow. This flatter flight path allows more accurate arrow placement at unknown yardage. :thumbup:

So the question again, what is the reason for choosing more traditional archery equipment? What is the planned use?

+1

The use is the key question to answer. I think the modern equipment, in addition to accuracy, offers the hunter the chance for a cleaner and more humane kill.

2" Overdraw
TH supreme arrow rest
Match grade release

It is the same reason we choose to shoot a muzzle loader. The challenge. Anyone one can take a setup like you described and become fairly proficient after a little practice. Going with a more traditional setup takes tons of practice. The reason the long bows were replaced was the lack of skill necessary to operate the more advanced systems being invented. That being said, I love to shoot both.

It is the same reason we choose to shoot a muzzle loader. The challenge. Anyone one can take a setup like you described and become fairly proficient after a little practice. Going with a more traditional setup takes tons of practice. The reason the long bows were replaced was the lack of skill necessary to operate the more advanced systems being invented. That being said, I love to shoot both.

+1 Well said. It's a matter of degrees. Once a person has meet the challenge of learning the basics on basic equipment. It's only natural to want to move on to better equipment. As we gain levels of skill and proficiency after a certain point one way to continue improvement is to use professional equipment.

I highly recommend Ron King's bows. He does business as Fox Archery, and builds some beautiful, fast shooting bows.

That having been said, my personal favorites are from Neil Jacobson at Bear's Paw Bows. I had one of his take down longbows for several years, and currently have one of his recurves that I had custom made. Sweet and fast. At 58 pounds draw, it'll kick a 600 grain cedar arrow at 185 fps, and it's deadly quiet, with no recoil at all...

Neil's website is here: Bear's Paw Bows

2" Overdraw
TH supreme arrow rest
Match grade release

No offense, but I completely disagree with you. Look up some videos of people like Howard Hill, Byron Ferguson, and Ron LaClair. These men can shoot nickels and dimes out of the air or cut playing cards in half with an arrow.

I used to hate going to shoots with compound shooters. There's nothing worse than waiting as a group of 4-5 guys take their sweet time looking at the target with their binoculars, double-checking the marked range on their range finders, adjusting their sights and waiting for the slight crosswind to die down. When they eventually release, the whole process starts over again because, wouldn't you know it, they still didn't break the inner ring.

At some point archery stopped being about ability and started being about how well you could line up a few dots and push a button. For similar reasons I detest 20 yard target competitions.

The bottom line? Real archers don't need training wheels.

sending 100's of shafts raining down on the opposition a long bow was a very suitable tool.

2" Overdraw
TH supreme arrow rest
Match grade release

hahaha
thats kinda like asking why use a bow when you could use a rifle? you should swap in favor of new technology:blink:
Also, I find it much more satisfying to shoot by feel. I feel like I'm cheating somehow when I use a sight.

No offense, but I completely disagree with you. Look up some videos of people like Howard Hill, Byron Ferguson, and Ron LaClair. These men can shoot nickels and dimes out of the air or cut playing cards in half with an arrow.

I used to hate going to shoots with compound shooters. There's nothing worse than waiting as a group of 4-5 guys take their sweet time looking at the target with their binoculars, double-checking the marked range on their range finders, adjusting their sights and waiting for the slight crosswind to die down. When they eventually release, the whole process starts over again because, wouldn't you know it, they still didn't break the inner ring.

At some point archery stopped being about ability and started being about how well you could line up a few dots and push a button. For similar reasons I detest 20 yard target competitions.

The bottom line? Real archers don't need training wheels.

hahaha
thats kinda like asking why use a bow when you could use a rifle? you should swap in favor of new technology:blink:
Also, I find it much more satisfying to shoot by feel. I feel like I'm cheating somehow when I use a sight.

Perhaps one day we will be able to stand on the firing line together and learn from each other's experience.

It just sounds like the people you shoot with are muppets:biggrin:

Im not sure who mentioned the bear paw bows, but I followed the link and I must say, those are some of the most beautiful bows I have ever seen. Absolutely beautiful.

Top Bottom