What's new

Aristocratic Duties

M

member 1211

So I came across a razor in an aristocrat box today, but I did not think it was an aristocrat, so I told the woman to put it aside for me.

It was a gold three piece open comb razor. Did the aristocrat ever come in a three piece?

There were no date codes on it, and it looked an awful lot like what I think is called a gillette new.

Any info would be appreciated especially if it's good news!

Someone else could answer with more authority. But I believe that the Aristocrat name was introduced before the TTO. And those days were definitely open comb. So I'm thinking it likely is correct.

-Mo

M

member 1211

Well the price tag says $15, but I can probably get it for $10 is it worth it? It's in good condition. The lacquer is good, and there is minimal pitting on the head.

Every razor I've seen labeled as an Aristocrat has been TTO. Three piece razors are usually Techs. Now let's hear from someone who really knows this stuff.

jim

Three piece razors are usually Techs.

Or New Standard, or NEW (in all its variations), or the early single ring and double ring, or a Goodwill.

According to the page that we all use for dating razors, the Aristocrat was introduced in 1910. The TTO was not introduced until 1934. Ergo, there WERE non TTO Aristocrats.

I believe there was at least one that had a ball end, and a handle with the standard fine knurling, but with four lines cut into it down the length. I am not 100% positive that this was an Aristocrat, but I think so.

I do second the hope for a real expert. Or someone with THE BOOK.

-Mo

I just bought this a couple of weeks ago - I believe it is a 1910 Aristocrat, though this is only a guess. The only writing on the razor is the serial number on the comb section (B44XXXX).

MAN- anyone know where I can get one of those little gold boxes for my Aristocrat?

proxy.php

So I came across a razor in an aristocrat box today, but I did not think it was an aristocrat, so I told the woman to put it aside for me.

It was a gold three piece open comb razor. Did the aristocrat ever come in a three piece?

There were no date codes on it, and it looked an awful lot like what I think is called a gillette new.

Any info would be appreciated especially if it's good news!

Any photos? That would make things a lot easier.

I just bought this a couple of weeks ago - I believe it is a 1910 Aristocrat, though this is only a guess. The only writing on the razor is the serial number on the comb section (B44XXXX).

I can't say whether it is an Aristocrat or not, but Krumholtz doesn't identify any of the pocket editions photographed in his book as Aristocrats.

Is a TTO the same as a Super Speed?

No. Well, not necessarily. A Super Speed is a TTO, but a TTO is not always a Super Speed. SuperSpeed is a model name, of which there were several variations. TTO means Twist To Open and is just a term used to clasify razors buy their construction, refering to the ones that have blade doors that are opened by twisting a knob on the handle, usually at the bottom. These include the SuperSpeeds, all of the Gillette adjustables, the Aristocrats from the mid thirties on, the Merkur Progress and Vision, the Gillette Knack, and modern Weishi and Parker. TTO razors are also referred to as one-piece. As opposed to two-piece (Merkur HD, Slant, and a couple of the fancy versions of the Gillette NEW), and three-piece (Tech, Merkur Classic and LHC, most of the pre-TTO Gillettes).

Jim,

Thanks for posting the picture. That's the one I had in mind.

-Mo

Top Bottom