What's new

injector razor questions

Hi, I was just curious how an injector razor shave compares to a DE razor.
Is it much easier to use? (require less skill). Is it more like a cartridge razor?

Also, I see tedpella offers two types of injector blades, the Stainless Steel, PTFE-Coated Blades in packs of 20 with a dispenser - and then they have a bulk box of 500 "Carbon Steel Blades".
Does anyone know what the difference is between them? Are they both suitable for shaving?
They are both in this page:
http://www.tedpella.com/dissect_html/dissect.htm#_121_4

Thanks for your help in advance.

Injector razors surprisingly shave very well and I might like them better then DE razors but its close. Every injector I have weighs 1.1 oz or less. Thats hard to believe a single edge can shave that good. I have been using the CVS blades aka Personna and get 8-9 shaves per blade. So IMHO it doesn't matter about weight in a razor because injectors are light weights. And to answer your other question about cartridge razors. Injectors are king.

mmack,

I would actually prefer the 500 pack since I don't want the extra dispensers for environmental reasons.
Would the carbon steel blades be ok for shaving with that in mind - what is the difference specifically?
The only thing I have read about carbon steel is that they can rust easier, but otherwise I don't know the difference.

Also I guess I haven't been as clear in my question as I should have been.
I've been having some trouble getting irritation free shaves from a DE and don't get irritation from cartridges, so just wondering if it's likely that the injector razor is different enough from DE that it would be worth trying.

Thanks,

If you wear facial hair injectors seem to be easier to use. I think the non-adjustable injectors primarily Schick(if you can get good blades) can shave faster, closer, and with less damage to your facial skin than DE & SE safety razors. They are for me the best for shaving beneath the nose, around the lips, and the back of the neck. Shaving with an injector is akin to driving a sports car or riding a good handling motorcycle. Except for the aforementioned areas, the 1912 family of SEs are also well liked as are the DE 3-piece open combs with the heavier teeth(New). These are my opinions based upon personal experience/useage.

ive never had another razor take more hair off in one pass than an injector. and with a good blade its probably the most effortless shave ive ever had.

mmack,

I would actually prefer the 500 pack since I don't want the extra dispensers for environmental reasons.
Would the carbon steel blades be ok for shaving with that in mind - what is the difference specifically?
The only thing I have read about carbon steel is that they can rust easier, but otherwise I don't know the difference.

Also I guess I haven't been as clear in my question as I should have been.
I've been having some trouble getting irritation free shaves from a DE and don't get irritation from cartridges, so just wondering if it's likely that the injector razor is different enough from DE that it would be worth trying.

Thanks,

I think a SE makes for a simple effortless shave. However, if you are getting irritation you will likely have irritation with a SE blade as well because it is likely your prep/technique that is contributing to or causing the irritation.

ive never had another razor take more hair off in one pass than an injector. and with a good blade its probably the most effortless shave ive ever had.

I agree, they remove mucho whiskers fast and easy.

I think a SE makes for a simple effortless shave. However, if you are getting irritation you will likely have irritation with a SE blade as well because it is likely your prep/technique that is contributing to or causing the irritation.

I agree, they remove mucho whiskers fast and easy.

Well basically with my catridge razor (which is a two blade personna autoplus, not exactly a killer system) - I can get a shave I am ok with in two WTG passes.

With two WTG passes with my DE razor the shave is almost ok but there is usually areas like above my lip that need extra attention. I have tried doing XTG passes, which gives me a smoother shave than the personna by far, but it results in red bumps in a few days above my lip and on my neck.

So I was basically just wondering if I tried an injector if I could get a decent shave with two WTG passes. You guys are suggesting it takes off more hair, which makes me think it's possible - but i'm not sure if it takes more hair only if I have my technique is perfect or not.

Anyways, haven't made up my mind if I want to try it or stick with the DE razor.

Thanks

Well basically with my catridge razor (which is a two blade personna autoplus, not exactly a killer system) - I can get a shave I am ok with in two WTG passes.

With two WTG passes with my DE razor the shave is almost ok but there is usually areas like above my lip that need extra attention. I have tried doing XTG passes, which gives me a smoother shave than the personna by far, but it results in red bumps in a few days above my lip and on my neck.

So I was basically just wondering if I tried an injector if I could get a decent shave with two WTG passes. You guys are suggesting it takes off more hair, which makes me think it's possible - but i'm not sure if it takes more hair only if I have my technique is perfect or not.

Anyways, haven't made up my mind if I want to try it or stick with the DE razor.

Thanks

You may or may not get a better shave with a SE, it is very different from person to person. I say give it a try though. I enjoy a SE shave (Injector) from time to time. One recmmendation is very little pressure.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Just got a Schick easy rider with yellow handle. (type L)
Anxiously waiting for it's arrival.
I'll let you know how it goes :).

Top Bottom