What's new

Question concerning canned shaving creams

Hey All. I have a question concerning canned aresol shaving creams.
Why is everyone (most) people using tube, jar, or other types?
Is it a purist thing? Is it because of the shave they get? Or... is it some other reason. With the tons of different kinds of aresol creams out there it seems like you should be able to find something that is suited to your liking. Another thing, why couldn't you use a canned cream and use a brush and make your lather on your face like the soap and mug style?
I am just wondering about this and would like some feed back.

I have been using Edge gel with a pre oil and find that my skin is nice and slippery during the whole shaving process.
Thanks,
turbine

Can't answer all your questions, but canned shaving gels/creams are not designed to be lathered in the traditional fashion. A shaving gel may actually become LESS effective if face-lathered; a foam obviously doesn't need lathering because it comes out of the can as a lather.

I think people around here prefer old-fashioned creams and lathering them with a brush because you get a better shave with them and it's more fun.

Yes, you could probably find a canned product that would "work," but why do that when there are so many great old-school lathering creams?

Hi,

Edge is actually great, even underrated IMO

When it comes to canned creams, I prefer gels over foams; foams suck. but gels are good.

Regarding the traditional creams/soaps, I use them and I can't tell the difference with canned gels.

Of course , YMMV

Well as others have said, YMMV, but I would have to say it's not worth bothering using canned gel/cream with a brush. The consistency of the lather is similar, but not the same, and mainly when you spray the top of the brush with the cream in the can, it will not permeate the entire brush like when you whip up lather using a soap or a brush cream.

Other than that I have personally found the stuff in the can to be a bit drying, or at least less moisturizing. However, YMMV and all that jazz.

Edge Sensitive with aloe burned my skin like a word I can't say here. I have no love for Edge. I used it b/c it was the slickest of the canned stuff I'd tried and traditional creams and soaps just blow it out of the water, IMO. Plus they are fun to work into a lather and make my shave time smell as great as dinner on the stove after a long day.

Also, there is no reason to use a brush with a canned gel or foam. The nozzle foams it for you when you dispense it. Trying to work it with a brush would probably just make it collapse. It's not the same chemically or structurally as a soap or cream that is meant to be lathered.

I used to make my own Superlather with Williams soap and Edge gel.

I used that combo daily for a long time.

Not very interesting, but I always got decent shaves.

The explanation I have heard is that these canned goos are pressurized in the containers and seeing as how water cannot be pressurized in there as well, they instead use synthetic lubricants which do not work as well and are more drying to the skin. Besides that soaps and creams smell better and are way more fun.

To me there is no question in terms of the better quality lather that is produced from an old school cream or soap and henceforth, such a better shave, there is so much more water in the cream that I find it to be a lot slicker/smoother. To me the lathering/prep process with a shaving brush and good cream/soap is the most important part of the whole process. To be honest, I didn´t notice that much of a difference when I first started using a good cream/soap, but after I while, I tried using the canned stuff one time, and it was just terrible

My understanding is, and correct me if I`m wrong, but there is no reason to use a brush with canned creams as the product is not designed for that. The reason you want to use a brush is, it exfoliates the skin and surrounds each whisker with lather, causing them to soften and stand up away from the skin, ready to be cut.

OK, from the postings so far I gather that canned foam or gel has synthetic lubricants that can dry the skin out. I kind can agree with that. several people posted that they use the cream, soap and brush because it is enjoyable. I can see that too.
So, I think I will go and try the cream and brush method and see how that works. I just want to do my research before going out and purchasing products that I may not find works to provide me the best possible shave.

This is a little off-topic, but I thought it was quite comical.

On the official Edge website, it acutally says:
"Specially Designed for every shaving need, these soothing gels will treat your face so well that your 5 o'clock shadow may try to sneak in at 4:59."

Are they SERIOUSLY trying to get me to buy a product that will make my 5 o'clock shadow come back sooner??? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

OK, from the postings so far I gather that canned foam or gel has synthetic lubricants that can dry the skin out. I kind can agree with that. several people posted that they use the cream, soap and brush because it is enjoyable. I can see that too.
So, I think I will go and try the cream and brush method and see how that works. I just want to do my research before going out and purchasing products that I may not find works to provide me the best possible shave.

I like your careful approach.

Here's what I would do if I were you.

1. Buy an Omega boar brush. They can be had for about 17-20 bucks shipped. (They smell like a wet dog at first, but shampoo it a couple of times and then just live with the smell for about a week; it goes away.)

2. Get a sample pack of George F. Trumpers or Truefitt and Hill shaving creams, or go get a sample of Maca Root Shaving Cream at The Body Shop (they'll give you 5 mL free, which is enough for a bunch of shaves).

3. Watch mantic's lathering videos on YouTube, then watch them again. Maybe the first time around try lathering one of the creams on your HAND. When you do it that way you can really feel how the lather is at each stage of the lathering process.

4. Shave.

5. Come back on here and tell us how it compared with the canned stuff.

Am I the only one that doesn't use canned stuff just because something (the smell) in it makes them sick? No matter what canned product I've ever used it always left me feeling mildly nauseous. My theory is that it's the propellant but it's never really seemed worth testing.

Am I the only one that doesn't use canned stuff just because something (the smell) in it makes them sick?

Certainly, the smell of the various canned goops has a sameiness about it (although I was very happy with both Aveeno and King Of Shaves) but, as others pointed out, they are products that were not designed for brush application.

Also, there is a huuuuge variety of scents for old-school soaps and creams which, in my mind, is the nicest thing about using them. I actually look forward to shaving each morning...

The explanation I have heard is that these canned goos are pressurized in the containers and seeing as how water cannot be pressurized in there as well, they instead use synthetic lubricants which do not work as well and are more drying to the skin. Besides that soaps and creams smell better and are way more fun.

:001_rolle

Simply not true.

Canned gels now also have natural lubricants.

And FYI, your traditional creams/soaps are far from being 100% natural

Am I the only one that doesn't use canned stuff just because something (the smell) in it makes them sick? No matter what canned product I've ever used it always left me feeling mildly nauseous. My theory is that it's the propellant but it's never really seemed worth testing.

I thought I was the only one that got sick from the canned goo. Whew, at least I know i'm still somewhat normal.

I've also heard that the propellant in the cans makes the foam/gel come out cold, closing your pores. You should always try to prep keeping your face warm.

Top Bottom