What's new

Omega wrist watch help

I want an Omega watch in the worst way and the one I really like is the Seamaster Aqua Terra Chronometer in blue, medium size. What should I expect in durability? Accuracy? This watch is in the right price range for me, but for me it is a fair amount of coin. I live a very active lifestyle and have really not been totally happy with some of the watches that I have had but, they have not been priced over $500 dollars either. You guys in this forum are amazing in your insight and in fact someone just had to go and put watch posts up.....:drool:

Thanks in advance,
Richard

I got a Seamaster Aqua Terra (silver on steel) when I graduated from college in 2004. It is durable especially the glass. The band will show scratches, but that is to be expected. They have to be tuned every 4 - 5 years, but it will last a lifetime if you maintain it.

I got a Seamaster Aqua Terra (silver on steel) when I graduated from college in 2004. It is durable especially the glass. The band will show scratches, but that is to be expected. They have to be tuned every 4 - 5 years, but it will last a lifetime if you maintain it.

How do you get it tuned and what is the cost?

R

No experience with the Seamaster. I have a 1984 Speedmaster, it was serviced at the LaGrange, IL facility in 1999 and the cost was $325 including a new crown and crystal. The Speedmaster uses a heavy plastic crystal so it tends to scratch quite easily. Mine also has a number of scuffs and light scratches on the case and strap from long use. Unless you really abuse these watches they should hold up well over time.

Omega is a high quality watch, especially the automatics. You pay a lot but you also get a lot. By the way, the scratches on the crystal can be buffed at a jewelery story, most of the time, for nothing or very little.

What do you mean by very active lifestyle? If your really tough on watches I would not buy a mechanical or spend a lot to have it turned into a beater. Buy an inexpensive Seiko. Usually cheaper watches have mvmts that will take abuse better.

The co-axial movement of the newer Omegas are among the sturdyist mechanical movements ever made. You can acually play golf, tennis and shoot high powered firearms while wearing a co-axial watch whithout worrying about damaging the movement.

The sapphire crystal is also very durable, though the coating on it may take som scratches. Most people have the coating removed after a while anyway.

As to the case and band; thay will take scratches and nics over time - but that is just adding personality and history to your watch. If you should be unlucky enough to get a big scratch there is plenty of material in the case to get i polished down.

Every 4-5 years you will have to get the movement tuned and cleaned. You can have that done at any certified Omega dealer.

Regards.

Jakob

The co-axial movement of the newer Omegas are among the sturdyist mechanical movements ever made. You can acually play golf, tennis and shoot high powered firearms while wearing a co-axial watch whithout worrying about damaging the movement.

The sapphire crystal is also very durable, though the coating on it may take som scratches. Most people have the coating removed after a while anyway.

As to the case and band; thay will take scratches and nics over time - but that is just adding personality and history to your watch. If you should be unlucky enough to get a big scratch there is plenty of material in the case to get i polished down.

Every 4-5 years you will have to get the movement tuned and cleaned. You can have that done at any certified Omega dealer.

Regards.

Jakob

That is kind of what I was talking about. It, the watch, could end up in the spa in the morning and on my arm using a chainsaw and going to the gun range, all in one day. I use a long sleeve shirt most of the time so watches have a pretty good life as far as cosmetic abuse goes. The biggest problem that I have thad is that after a couple of years watches just seem to fall off my wrist. I want a watch that has good pivot points for the band and a movement that will take enough G's to put me at deaths door! :blink:

Thanks for the info guys,

Richard

You might also consider some of the Doxa dive series. I have a sub 300T and it really is tough - 2 mm sapphire crystal and a hogged out of solid case. The downside is that it is heavy and if you crash your arm into the wall it will chip the paint (on the wall). The movements are standard high end ETAs.

If your going to be going from a spa to vigorous sports to a power tool to a firing range I wouldn't be using any mechanical watch period. You're asking for trouble. For those activities you need a beater plain and simple. Go over to timezone and ask the same question and see the answers you get.

I have an Omega Constellation Double Eagle, and have had it for nearly 20 years. I had to send it to Omega once to have a link put in the bracelet, and to have the numerals re-painted, but otherwise it's been very servicable and sturdy.

Last edited:
I own an Omega SeaMaster Planet Ocean. You don't buy these watches so much for their accuracy. Even a cheapo Quartz is much more accurate than an Omega. It's typical for even a certified chronometer to be "off" by 5 seconds/day. Link.

You buy them more for the artistry.

Last edited:
ok, heres the thing,
automatic watches, depending on the grade and certification can lose/gain up to around 10 seconds a day, it is recomended that you find a good watch repair shop, and once the warranty is done, have it regulated, it might add an extra 100-150 bucks to the price, but an expirianced person can leave it in +5/+5, also take in to account that even if it is working well, it needs to be cleaned and relubricated atleast every 5 years, the COSC certification is nice, they test the movement under several conditions for accuracy and reliability, a cosc certified watch passes much stricter quality control, atleast movement wise, but it tends to add a nice monetary sum to the price of the watch, so take that in to account,

Unfortunatly, i have a Quartz omega, a 1991 Seamaster Multifuction, very nice watch with a hidden digital display under the sphear,

take in to account that if you want accuracy, for less then 100 bucks you have a Casio GW-5600, which is solar powered, quartz movment and sets itself from the atomic clock in Colorado, if you buy a mechanical watch, you´re buying a work of engnieering and a jewel,

remember, a men should only wear 2 jewels, his watch and his wedding ring,

Last edited:
I have a Seamaster automatic dated roughly 1955, nothing like the modern ones in looks! It was my late father in law's watch and he bought it new in Switzerland.

It works well and still keeps good time and it seldom gets a clean or service. If the newer ones are as well made as this one, they'll be good.

Gareth

I have the very watch mentioned in your inquiry. It is now 6 years old and troublefree. The crystal is by far the most durable I have owned, and is still scratch free. The bracelet and clasp do scratch, but it simply ads character to the watch. After 6 years, the watch loses about a minute or so per month, all without service.

As far as active use goes, I purposefuly do not wear this watch when working hard, skeet or trap shooting. I think less expensive watches are better suited to those activities.

Top Bottom