What's new

Shave Diary day 1

Well - some of you had seen my last post on getting back into DE shaving. In a nutshell - I have been using a Gillette Fusion with decent results - I can get a BBS shave but ONLY if I shave every 48 hours. If I shave every 24 hours I get mediocre shaves coupled with irritation. I want to shave every day and be clean shaven every day - so I am getting back into DE shaving. I tried it a few months back but gave up after about 2 weeks.

My setup:
Merkur HD
WCS sampler pack (currently on Derby but have only 3 left)
Bunch of different soaps and creams
C&E BBB and B&B LE 2008 :biggrin1:

Tonight was my first wetshave since I gave up months ago.

Shower with noxema pre-shave
Made a nice superlather using HBS ye olde barbershop and KMF vanilla earth
face lathered
Merkur HD with Derby blade (day 1)

Went very very slowly. I had a nice 3 day growth. One of my problems is my grain - the direction of my grain goes from my lip horizontally across to my cheek which means to shave WTG I cant exactly let "gravity do the work" in using little pressure. I alternated between using mantics advice of just going N-S and attempting WTG. I would place the HD "head" on my skin and move down while rotating until I heard some hairs being cut. I found going N-S WTG on my lip was the easiest, my chin and neck the most challenging.

It dosent look like I shaved at all but thats ok - I dont need to be clean shaven for tomorrow. I remember back when I had shaved DE for 2 weeks - towards the end I saw lots of little black hairs in the sink - but this time I hardly saw any - probably was being a bit too cautious but I have a hard time finding a balance between finding the angle that will just cut the hair without going too far and feeling the blade catch on my skin so I probably end up being too conservative. Hopefully will get better with time.

Finished off with a cold water splash and Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel.

Welcome back!! Sounds like you have some really nice gear! Just be patient, prep real well, take your time and have fun! Great shaves will come. :biggrin:

Slow and steady, slow and steady.

It sounds like you are on the right path, the only advice I would add is to not change too many variables. Try to stick with the same cream/soap/blade for a week and see how it goes, once your technique is down, you can start altering a variable at a time.

Good luck, and enjoy the shave!

Top Bottom