What's new

Antique store find

Well I was at the local antique store on Sunday and they had a DE razor box sitting there. I opened the box and found a PERFECT Gillette "New" razor along with 6 red and black gillette blades. The razor looks like it has never touched the face. It is gold colored and has an open comb.Got it for $4.00.
Tried it out today (Monday) with a bit o shaving oil and some lather and it was the best shave I have had to date. Oh, I did go and buy some platinum blades at the grocery store. I am going to order a sample pak of blades and really find out what the best blade for this nice new best buddy.

Welcome to B&B, and great post! And that's an amazing find on one of the best razors around. You're doing exactly the right thing in getting a blade sampler to see which ones you like. I suspect you will find a blade or two in the sampler pack that you like a lot better than the ones you picked up locally. Thanks for sharing! If you can, you should post a pic of your "new best buddy"! :thumbup1:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
That's nice, do you have any pictures?

Hi! Even if you can't immediately provide pictures can you describe the case and the NEW. Is it a ball end, a common bar handle, or some more ornate version such as a DeLuxe or a Norfolk? Pictures for help in identifying can be found here ...

on Achim's Gillette NEW page.

Hi thanks for the welcome. As soon as my daughter comes upstairs with the camera I will post a picture. It is not a ball end. I was able to find a site the gives ID's from the numbers on the bottom and what it said was it is a 1930's model "new".

Great find....that is how I got here too. I found a brand-new Tech at an antique store and needed to figure out what it was...

Warning...a few weeks have passed since then for me and I now have quite a few other razors, creams, soaps, blades, brushes....:biggrin:

Hi thanks for the welcome. As soon as my daughter comes upstairs with the camera I will post a picture. It is not a ball end. I was able to find a site the gives ID's from the numbers on the bottom and what it said was it is a 1930's model "new".

There are several variations of the NEW model. As far as I am concerned, the NEW in general was the pinnacle of Gillette shave quality with the NEW DeLuxe in particular being at the summit of that pinnacle.

OK, here are the pics of the razor and box. Any information on this razor would be great.
Thanks,
turbine712

Very Nice Razor... it reminds me that I have to go hunting at my local stores..and Welcome to B&B..

$4.00 !! :w00t:

I'll be happy to take that off your hands for $10.00 :biggrin:

Welcome, and awesome find. I hope to be so lucky one day. Okay, I hope to even be half as lucky.

Okay, it was what I was guessing. It is the Red and Black Set Which was advertised in the 1930's as containing a gold plated Gillette and a pack of Gillette Blue Blades. Your razor is one of several which was sold with this low price set. In fact, it is the common bar NEW with the knurled top which is the basic NEW after the ball end. The razor looks to be in very nice condition. I am sure you will enjoy it quite a bit.

With a closer look, the case appears to be in good condition, but has some spotting issues. Quite common in a wet bathroom environment.

Top Bottom