What's new

My Story(African American Male)...Please help ME!

Well...my name's Derek and Im new to this forum..I'm eighteen years old just starting my second year of college..I came back this summer back home to a nice paying part time job..with one goal..to learn how to properly shave..
The only time I have "shaved" was with a Gilette Fusion..disastrous..my face broke out..n I threw it away..nowadays I wear a beard..and sometimes use a electric trimmer..but my appearance is shaggy to say the least. Razor bumps are usually around my cheeks when I use the trimmer to cut off most of the hair...and its gettin horrible...
So..
I did some research..Electric razor...tried it for a while...didnt work for me..
And cartridge razors...never again..
So..
I was wondering what is the consensus start up package for a DE..this is my last option..
Ive read that the Merkur HD is good..but is the Gilette Tech a better starter razor?
And im clueless about creams/soaps and brushes?
I do know I should get the West Coast Razor Blades pack...basically I have sensitive skin and need something good.
And how do u find your grain on your beard??? I've read most of peoples beard is N to S on cheeks..which is where most of the bumps are..
I dont really have bumps on my neck...weird right?
But any help is needed...including where I could find these starter products at a decent price..

Much love,
Derek

Welcome to wet-shaving in general, and to B&B in particular!

Merkur HD is a great starter razor ... many veteran wet-shavers find it is so good, they never need anything else.

www.westcoastshaving.com for a blade sampler pack ... blade choice is a very personal thing, and don't be surprised if you have to try 10 or 15 different brands to find the one that is right for you. My top favorites are the Feather and Astra-SP ... but I don't recommend you start there. Derby is a good choice for beginners, it is very forgiving of a newbie's technique (or lack thereof.)

Face Scrubs, Soaps, creams, ASL, ASB ... head on down to your local drugstore or supermarket, and pick up anything that is NOT in an aerosol can. Depending on what your store carries, you'll find Williams, Van Der Hagen, Neutrogena, Nivea, Kiss My Face, Tom's of Maine, Avalon Organics, Burt's Bees ... lots to choose from, and they're all good.

You have to start somewhere ... and having ANY BRAND of product is better than having none at all. You'll learn more about wet-shaving in a week of putting a blade to your face than you will in a year of reading forums.

Check out the mantic59 tutorials on YouTube.

And get a Styptic Pencil. No shave-den should be without one.

First to find the grain of your beard, get a cotton swab and rub it against your face. When you start to leave bits of cotton on your beard after a swipe that means that you've gone against the grain of your beard.
Since you have sensitive skin, for your razor I would suggest going to the B/S/T section of the forum and purchasing a Gillette Superspeed from another member. Those are very mild shavers. Or you can go to say... the Shave Factory and get a Ming Shi razor which is a copy of the SuperSpeed. Amazon sells the Weishi which is also a copy. Both are reputed to be mild shavers also. Read them in the review section on this site.
A good basic brush to start with is the Omega pure badger. For the price it's an excellent brush. You can pay more for a brush, but to start with why. Later on if this is good for you, you can upgrade to a fancier brush.
Proraso is making a shaving soap/cream for sensitive skin that is made with aloe and green tea. Here's a link to amazon for that. http://www.amazon.com/Proraso-Shavi...ef=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1244413525&sr=1-2
Westcoastshaving also has it.http://westcoastshaving.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=72
And yes get the sampler pack there also.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
What my fellow members said!

http://www.youtube.com/mantic59

A Merkur HD would be a good start. You could buy your whole kit at Westcoast shaving. The sample pack is the way to go.

You would always get a Tech on the Buy/Sell/Trade forum on this website for a very cheap price. I would recommend a cheap boar brush and a shaving cream to start with. An Aftershave without alcohol and you should be all right.

Welcome!

You may also want to check our other vendors, such as shavingessentials.net as they sell Prorasso and the great Booster after shaves.

Welcome to B&B! Your story sounds very familiar. I shaved with electrics for 17 years due to poor shaves with razors. My advice to you is to be patient and don't give up. African Americans can shave with the same level of effectiveness and frequency as everyone else. Be sure to check out the B/S/T for starker kits. I'd recommend buying a Merkur HD or Superspeed from the B/S/T. Pick up the $5 green shaving cream tube from Bath and Body Works and consider posting a WTB on the B/S/T for a C&E or EJ BBB. Just a thought. Please keep us posted.

Welcome to B&B Derek!

Everyone has already given sound advice. This is a common theme with respect to shaving issues that many African American males face. You should note that if you do not know already, many of our shaving issues cut across racial and ethnic boundaries. Shaving is shaving, regardless of color.

The exercise of shaving, especially if you stick to DE shaving or advance to shaving with straight razors is as much an exercise in self awareness and knowing your face as it is an exercise in grooming.

Here is one of the more recent AA male shaving question threads.

Good Luck -- and when in doubt, ask questions.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91337

Well
Was able to buy a Merkur HD and a Tweezerman brush online..
Also got my hands on a West Coast Sampler Pack...
Probably gona go to a drugstore or Bath & Body Works and land some CO Bigelow cream...
U guys think thats a good lineup?
Still really nervous about my first De shave but ready to see..

Well
Probably gona go to a drugstore or Bath & Body Works and land some CO Bigelow cream...

Not sure they carry the C.O. Bigelow Green tube at the drugstore. You should find it at Bath and Bodyworks though. Also consider aftershave. Most guys like Aqua Velva...I'm not a fan though. Adidas makes a good aftershave and can be found in most supermarkets/drug stores for under $10. Also consider Nivea Balms if you're not into alcohol based AS. The setup looks nice. Be sure to stick with it even if your first few shaves aren't great and come back here and ask lots of questions. Good luck.

For a really good thread check out Potterton's intro. As I type it is just two threads down, but that will change as soon as I hit enter.

Well

Sounds good. Bath and Body works will have the Bigelow cream. Let me suggest starting off with an Israeli blade either the Crystal or the Israeli red pack personna. Both are good blades. Or you can try the Dorco, it's very forgiving and is recommended for those just starting out with a DE. Make sure you watch Mantic's videos a few time before you start. And remember to take it slow with little or no pressure when you shave. Just let the blade glide across your face. No pushing into the face and pulling with the razor. And as has been said before, get a styptic pencil. Wal-Mart has the Clubman for .94 cents.

Ive read that the Merkur HD is good..but is the Gilette Tech a better starter razor?
And im clueless about creams/soaps and brushes?
I do know I should get the West Coast Razor Blades pack...basically I have sensitive skin and need something good.
And how do u find your grain on your beard??? I've read most of peoples beard is N to S on cheeks..which is where most of the bumps are..
I dont really have bumps on my neck...weird right?
But any help is needed...including where I could find these starter products at a decent price..

Derek,

Welcome to B&B. I am glad you joined. You're already in great hands here. Lots of good advice has been dispensed in this thread and the linked thread. I will offer one additional piece of advice, regarding finding the grain of your beard. First, the Q-tip technique from RayH is a good method to use. Second, your beard may be tightly curled, which will make this process a little tougher, but you want to shave with the grain as the hair exits your skin. Lastly, you might try dusting your stubble with some baby powder so that you get an increased contrast while trying to map your beard growth. And remember: beard growth direction, unfortunately, can be very different a very short distance away from wherever you're looking, so don't assume your beard is at all uniform!

I came into a Fusion and a couple of cartridges through an order on the Buy/Sell/Trade forum here, and I was curious about it, since I quit using cartridges after growing hugely frustrated at the Mach III's crappy performance and high price. I used the Fusion last night to shave my head. A new cartridge did a good job, but the razor dragged pretty badly, and I think if I hadn't been using the same technique as I do with my double-edged razor (that I normally use to shave my head), it could have been a bad experience. Into the trash went the Fusion.

Again, welcome, and keep us updated on your decisions and your experiences.

Sounds good. Bath and Body works will have the Bigelow cream. Let me suggest starting off with an Israeli blade either the Crystal or the Israeli red pack personna. Both are good blades. Or you can try the Dorco, it's very forgiving and is recommended for those just starting out with a DE. Make sure you watch Mantic's videos a few time before you start. And remember to take it slow with little or no pressure when you shave. Just let the blade glide across your face. No pushing into the face and pulling with the razor. And as has been said before, get a styptic pencil. Wal-Mart has the Clubman for .94 cents.

Welcome Derek!

Mantic's videos are very helpful. With some searching, you'll find some specific tips for dealing with coarse beard and sensitive skin. I have the same.
Once you feel some trust in your technique (be patient) finding the sharpest blade that agrees with your skin is my advice. I've heard good things about personna red. Most will agree that Feathers are, by far, the sharpest and they completely transformed my shave experience. Zero shave irritation and where in-growns were the norm, I hardly ever have them.

Face prep, Technique, the right tool for the job and after shave care

Good Luck and stick with it!

After reading through all of the posts, there really is nothing left for me to say except: Welcome to B&B!(bet yall thought i was going to say something else!):wink:

marty

Top Bottom