What's new

Dunhill Question

So I've read the review of Dunhill for Men and read a few threads about how the old formula was so great, but discontinued. I see the new bottle is available quite affordably and am wondering if this is still a nice cologne. Basically, is it just that the old formula was a bit better but the new one is still good? or is the new formula a lot worse and not worth purchasing?

Thanks for the help!

The new formula just isn't as strong as the older formula from what I can tell. I don't personally own the new stuff, but I tried it at the store and it was just weaker. It's not bad, it still smells like the old Dunhill, but there is a noticeable difference in strength.

I have both and love them both.

First, let's clarify: There is the original Dunhill from 1934, and there is the new(er) Dunhill from 2003.

The 1934 version is a bit richer, and the notes are a bit more distinct. It smells a bit more like leather, sandalwood, and effervescent cola than the newer one. Doesn't smell like "old man", but does smell like "Dad". (although in real life, my dad is a roofer and would never wear something as gentlemanly as this :biggrin:)

The 2003 version has a more modern feel, and is smells more like a "designer" fragrance of recent times. It is more aquatic in nature, and the sandalwood is still present, as is the "cola" note, but to a lesser extent. This was one of the first fragrances I picked up when I started collecting fragrances, and to this day I maintain that it is one of the best modern "designer" scents out there, not to mention it's low price.

Overall, I think they did a great job reworking the scent for today's market, while still maintaining the original concept. That being said, it's about the only modern fragrance Dunhill has released that is worthwhile, in my opinion.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I got the sense that Anthony was actually talking about a reformulation (or perhaps "reissue" would be better) of the 1934 cologne.

Dunhill has offered many different men's colognes, but the 1934 "Dunhill for men" retains a special place in a lot of hearts. It was the subject of various rumours of its discontinuance (sometimes supported by anecdotal comments from sales clerks or Dunhill employees) but now seems to be back "on offer".

This is a sample of Dunhill colognes: http://www.beautifulperfumes.com/brands-a-alfred-dunhill.html

This is the (would-be) 1934 cologne: http://www.beautifulperfumes.com/brands-a-alfred-dunhill-dunhill-by-alfred-dunhill-for-men.html

Top Bottom