What's new

Razor Burn on Neck

I am suddenly getting razor burn on my neck. Here's what I can't figure out: my routine and products have remained the same. I shave after I shower. I have been using the same prep, same brush, same razor, same brand of blade, same cream, same aftershave. Has anyone else experienced this sudden change in skin sensitivity? I don't think I'm allergic to any of my products, as it is only my lower neck that suffers this reaction. Here's what I'm currently using:

Gillette SS red tip with IPs
Proraso or Nancy Boy, depending on my mood
Aveda AS Balm
Alum Block

The only thing I can think of is asking my dry cleaner if they've started using a new starch on my collars.

Are you going against the grain on the neck every day?

If so, I'd leave out the ATG pass for a couple days and see if that helps. Maybe your neck needs a break...hey, that didn't sound right.

Maybe the skin on your neck need a rest.

Are you going against the grain on the neck every day?

If so, I'd leave out the ATG pass for a couple days and see if that helps. Maybe your neck needs a break...hey, that didn't sound right.

Maybe the skin on your neck need a rest.

I generally do a single WTG pass on my neck (2 passes on the rest of my face: 1 WTG, 1 XTG). The hair on the base of my neck grows S to N, so I shave that direction in that area.

I do normally shave every day. I'm giving the ol' razor a rest for the weekend to see if my neck just needs some down time. Monday will be telling. Thanks.

One thing I was instantly thinking about was if you have been out in the sun? This time on the year geting a little sun burned without notice it is quite common, but it make your skin extra sensitive. I don't know where you live, but in a place with winter (like for me in Sweden) geting sun burned in the spring/early summer is something that happend almost every year.

And by the way, welcome on board!

//Axel

One thing I was instantly thinking about was if you have been out in the sun? This time on the year getting a little sun burned without notice it is quite common, but it make your skin extra sensitive. I don't know where you live, but in a place with winter (like for me in Sweden) getting sun burned in the spring/early summer is something that happened almost every year.

And by the way, welcome on board!

//Axel

Thanks for the welcome. Sunburn isn't the issue, but I found out something fascinating this morning. I have been shaving for 20 years, and have always thought the hair on my neck grew S to N (toward my chin). This morning, I asked my wife to take a close look at the hairs on my neck (she's very understanding about these things). She told me that the hair on my lower neck appears to grow toward my ears (E-W, W-E). If she's correct, then this whole time I've been thinking that I'm shaving WTG, I've actually been shaving XTG on my neck. That might very well explain the razor burn! It doesn't really explain why it's been much worse than normal lately, but I'm excited to shave tomorrow to check this out! I guess it always helps to have a second set of eyes.

You have discovered the secret. Whenever folks are experiencing problems, I recommend that they map the grain of their face.

Had my Monday shave after taking a break for the weekend. I decided to go with Tabac this morning. I also went back to my Tech with a new Derby. Very smooth shave. It wasn't BBS or irritation-free, but much better than Friday. I might go back to my red tip tomorrow, with a fresh Gillette 7 o'clock (yellow box).

I've said this in a few threads, but for me, my neck is especially prone to the direction in which I pull my skin. I pulled sideways for a while and got bad neck rash. Then I just started to strech my skin by lifting my head and naturally pulling neck skin in the vertical direction...problem solved! The idea is that you should only pull the skin in the same direction to the stroke. NEVER at 90degrees to the direction of the stroke.

hope this helps. :smile:

Top Bottom